Teen Wolf

Widest 29er tire?

I'm looking for something wide to put on the front of my 29er. The widest I can find is a 2.5" wtb wierwolf. Anything wider? I've got a rock solid fork so I should be able to fit a pretty wide tire.

Any suggestions?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by cr45h View Post
    I'm looking for something wide to put on the front of my 29er. The widest I can find is a 2.5" wtb wierwolf. Anything wider? I've got a rock solid fork so I should be able to fit a pretty wide tire.

Any suggestions?
    The Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.40 has the largest casing I have measured. Maxxis Ardent 29x2.40 is similar.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Teen Wolf
    Hmmm, interesting.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.40 has the largest casing I have measured. Maxxis Ardent 29x2.40 is similar.
    I wish my ardent 2.4 was bigger, It is almost the same size as the nobby nic 2.25 that it replaced for more " cush"

Teen Wolf
    I can't find anything larger than a 2.5 except for fat bike stuff which is too big . I'd like something in 3-3.5.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    hmm, are you sure that "wider" is the answer to your question?

Teen Wolf
    Yes, I want a wide, cushy tire for my front end.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Rampage, Rampage, Rampage. They are great tires and work very well tubeless. For lighter weight and faster rolling Ardent front with Crossmark rear works well.

Former Bike Wrench
    Surly Larry on a 65mm rim is approx 29" diameter and 3.8" wide....will that fit?

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I wish my ardent 2.4 was bigger, It is almost the same size as the nobby nic 2.25 that it replaced for more " cush"
    I agree. I was expecting this mammoth tire when I first got the ardent 2.4 (after hearing others talk about it) but still wish it was bigger.

noob
    i just got a set of bontrager 29.4 tires that are 29x2.30
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by megancheung View Post
    Rampage, Rampage, Rampage. They are great tires and work very well tubeless. For lighter weight and faster rolling Ardent front with Crossmark rear works well.

I agree.After trying about 7 different front tires on my rigid 29, on dusty gravel over hardpack, this Panaracer Rampage is fantastic. It was the answer for me. I run pretty high pressure, 31 tubeless, and it does everything well.

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    Bontrager FR3 2.35.

63mm outside knob to knob on a Stans Flow rim at 35psi tubeless. Almost 2.5" width. Tire is used and the casing probably as stretched as it will be.

mtbr member
    I've run Ardent 2.4s for a couple of seasons on Flows. The casings measure a true 2.4 wide at 20lbs tubeless. The casings are also a pretty tall. A riding friend has a 2.4 Ardent mounted tubeless on a Stan's Crest, and it looks more like the Ardent 2.2 he has in back than my 2.4. Rim width matters.

I recently have mounted a Hans Dampf 2.35 tubeless on a Flow and at 20lbs and the casing is as wide as the Ardent (2.4), however, it's about 3mm shorter.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanPCN View Post
    Bontrager FR3 2.35.

63mm outside knob to knob on a Stans Flow rim at 35psi tubeless. Almost 2.5" width. Tire is used and the casing probably as stretched as it will be.
    From personal experience, FR3 isn't really in the same league, casing-wise, as the ardent 2.4. It is almost as wide, but the overall volume is much smaller. I guess knob width is the same, but it doesn't seem like it to me.

here are some measurements

The

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi all,
    any update on this topic?
    any new wide tire to report?

I'm looking for a slightly wider tire then my Ardent 2.4 to fit in the rear of my Yelli Screamy.
    Will buy a 29+ for the front (Knard or, better, Dirt Wizard), but it won't fit in the rear. I'd need something in the 62-65mm range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just got a 29x3.0 Knard for the front of my Surly Ogre and I'm in love:-) The rear of the Ogre won't fit wider than a 2.4 - sad

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just got some Ardent 2.4's for my Trek Stache. Im interested to see how they are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    OP mentioned that the weirwolf is 2.5 while it may advertise that it is truth is is that it is barely 2.1" tubeless, i regret buying this tire. too bad because the tread pattern worked real well for where i ride but i need more meat, plus it was nearly impossible to get on and off my arch ex rims, literally had to cut if off the last time

mtbr member
    my geax gato (2.3) is wider than the ardent (2.4) it replaced (iirc) 2mm wider on a p-35 rim. i really like it.

i'm looking for something slightly wider just to try something new on the back. just got a fat front and tinkering. nothing is jumping out for the scottish muddy vibe. quite liked the idea of a wider still beaver (if that dosent sound rude!) than the 2.25.

the on one chunky monkey looks good, anyone know the actual width installed mm?
    i n d u s t r y
    c o t t a g e

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Widest 29er tire?

Could you measure exact dimensions of the Gato? My Ardents 2.4 are about 60-61mm on a Derby rims. Its hard to believe that gato can be wider, but if its true than I would try it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Ok...
    My gato is 60mm it was 1mm wider than the ardent on the p35.
    i n d u s t r y
    c o t t a g e

mtbr member
    Ok looking for advice i bought a yakuza ironhorse 5.1 before i realized how much i love doing this and before i found out they are considered crap ive been ridin about a week and love jumping and going fast ive been through 2 front tires already i cant afford to go buy a 4 to 5 hundred dollar am set up so any suggestion on what i should upgrade first i live in tx near dallas fort worth