mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Wider rim equal clearance issues?

I have a 2012 x-caliber and i am looking into the stans arch rims. Do you think the wider rim will stretch the outer treads and make it to wide?

Can i use a thru adaptor instead of QR?

Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

banned
    Need more info, depends really on what tire you are using and fork. If you have a QR fork you have to use a QR. Some hubs can be switched to the DT Swiss 9mm thru bolt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Stuff that we'd need to know to answer your questions:

The clearance on your frame for your current tires, your current rim (inner) width, either a picture of your fork or what interface (QR, TA15, TA20) it has, and what hub you have/will use with the Arch rim.

Fat-tired Roadie
    You'd have to already have really tight clearance for the Arches to present a problem. I doubt they're any more than 2 mm wider between the beads than what you've got.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have the rock shox reba rI and run a 2.35 hans dampf on the front and don't have any clearance issues and a 2.25 nobby nic out back.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    From Sram's website info, the Reba comes in a QR or thru-axle style. Wheels are non-interchangeable between the two, unless you changed the lowers (which between time and expense, would be worth the price of a new fork). You would need to make sure the hub you get has the same interface you currently have (QR, it sounds like).

You can work around the thru-axle bit by getting a Shimano hub and replacing the hollow axle with a bolt-on (solid) axle and a pair of nuts. The 'stiffness' of the system is comparable.

I'd agree with Andrew, if you have no clearance issues now, it's unlikely you will have them after the fact. At most, you'd be gaining around 5mm of width to the rim, which would translate roughly to an extra 2.5mm on either side of the tire.