mtbr member
    Aug 2011

is wider rim, always going to be stiffer all else equal?

Flow EX, the new (soon) WTB i25's, etc are a high std, then you make a huge leap to something like the Blunt35 for similar weight and one has to ask, is there going to be substantial stiffness diff? there seems to be little broad acceptance of the super wide vs the merely quite wide, and i'm guessing it's about diminishing returns at a certain level...

mtbr member
    all other things being equal, yes it will always be stiffer.

in reality though, there are a number of other factors that increase perceived stiffness so a wider rim won't necessarily feel stiffer (though it probably will).

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    though i don't do tubeless (gasp, imagine!) i'm of course concerned with performance overall. i wonder why everyone isn't on 35mm wide rims.

mtbr member

Re: is wider rim, always going to be stiffer all else equal?

I love my blunt 35s. Only thing I will build new wheels with. Love the width and what it does to spread the tire out. With a high volume tire, it's a combo you cannot beat. Never thought about the stiffness.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    though i don't do tubeless (gasp, imagine!) i'm of course concerned with performance overall. i wonder why everyone isn't on 35mm wide rims.
    Weight.........................

Mavic has had a bullet proof set of rims out for 6+ yrs that I can remember. The 823 disk is just stupid strong, UST, but weighs some 650 gr without the fancy spoke mount doohickies.

Now that you have better Al mfg materials and techniques, you'll see more wider rims.

Now, lets look at carbon.............light, strong, but stupid expenisve still. I would go for a $200 25mm (Internal Width) tubeless compatable rim. It would have to be under 500 gr. It would have to be from know company right now. I know the chinese rim mfg is going strong, but there seems to be inconsistantcy too.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Stiff is useless if the rim breaks. A 23mm external rim at 400g can be durable and reliable for trail riding. a 400g 35mm rim? Nope. Thats going to ruin itself maybe the first ride out, and would just be silly to manufacturer much less actually use.

Im a bigger rider, about 195lb. A 23mm internal rim really supports the tire well for me. Even my 21mm rim works well. Maybe a huge wide rim would do better, but Im happy where I am and I dont find faults in my wheels (I did with 19mm and narrower!) When you get even lighter riders I think its less of an issue. Most people want a durable wheel and most people dont want to lug around heavy wheels.

Its really about weight and durability. The narrower rims give both. 23mm is really pretty wide if you're honest with yourself (and not at an extreme end of the weight spectrum and using normal average tires).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Stiff is useless if the rim breaks. A 23mm external rim at 400g can be durable and reliable for trail riding. a 400g 35mm rim? Nope. Thats going to ruin itself maybe the first ride out, and would just be silly to manufacturer much less actually use.

Im a bigger rider, about 195lb. A 23mm internal rim really supports the tire well for me. Even my 21mm rim works well. Maybe a huge wide rim would do better, but Im happy where I am and I dont find faults in my wheels (I did with 19mm and narrower!) When you get even lighter riders I think its less of an issue. Most people want a durable wheel and most people dont want to lug around heavy wheels.

Its really about weight and durability. The narrower rims give both. 23mm is really pretty wide if you're honest with yourself (and not at an extreme end of the weight spectrum and using normal average tires).
    Google Moment of Inertia....The larger profile will always be stiffer. Don't you remember the Klein Bikes ???

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    it does make me wonder if it's a matter of diminishing returns. the B35 is just so much wider than the next offering, but why? if the benefit is minimal over something like the Flows what is the downside of such width. i understand they don't go tubeless well at all.