mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Wide rim tire compatibility thread!

I didn't see anything like this posted, so I figured I would start it and see if it can develop into a good resource. I just got a pair of derby rims for my new bike, and mounted my stock tires on them for now. After spending some time staring at the tread pattern and what the wide rim does, I thought it might be a good idea to get a list going of tires that seem to work well and tires that seem to get a bit too "flat" for lack of a better term. We could do a couple things:

Inflate your tires to 25psi on your wide rims, and take photos of the tread shape.
    List the make/model/width of the tire
    What rim it is mounted on
    Any ride impressions you have (optimal PSI, cornering grip, etc)

I'll start!

27.5x2.25 Schwalbe Nobby Nic (2015 tread) on Derby Rim
    Wide rim tire compatibility thread!-img_0635-1-.jpg

Used on the front wheel, run at about 22psi for my 175lb rider weight. Traction is fantastic in a straight line and into medium and low speed berms, but I could definitely feel it wash a bit in hard, fast, leaned cornering

27.5x2.25 Schwalbe Rocket Ron on Derby rim
    Wide rim tire compatibility thread!-img_0634.jpg

Great rear tire. Perfect combination of grip at 24psi, and I never felt like it wanted to wash on me in higher speed corners, the front end seemed more likely to wash

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    What's the Inner rim width on your rims? They do look pretty flat with squared off shoulders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The inner width on the Derbys I believe is 34mm. 40mm outer.

mtbr member
    yeah, i would say make sure to include not just the name of the rim but the inner/outer diameter because there are so many variations of each over the years. and that way people won't have to guess or google it for each example. good idea though
    Hardtail 29er
    Fat Lefty
    Rigid SS 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'll try to get a photo of mine soon. I put the old style Nobby Nic 29x2.25 on Fattie SL rims (30mm internal width). My old wheels had a 19mm internal width. They now look like a higher volume tire and the tread didn't seem to flatten out much.

I think the newer style Nobby Nics might run smaller. The other day I was riding my bike that has 27.5x2.35 Nobby Nics (old style) and a friend had the new Nobby Nics in the same size, and mine looked like a much fatter tire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Photos of the tread shape will never tell you anything because (a) they are no more informative than any other picture of the tread, and (b) because you have no idea what the lens distortion is. This is a fool's errand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Maybe you're right and the photos won't be super accurate. I still think ride impressions of the tires and what rims they are on can still be useful information for anyone who's trying to get into the wide rim game.