mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Wicked Will/ Sun 23mm matchup?

Am contemplating getting a 26x2.35 Wicked Will for my front to set on an average joe Sun DS2-XC and then going tubeless conversion for S. Nevada hardpack and rocky not too steep DHs. Rim says its 23 mm but cant confirm anywhere if thats external or internal. Anyone care to opine whether this will work or will it be a burp fest?.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The DS2-XC does not measure 23mm internally, that's definitely external width. I guess the internal width would be somewhere between 16 and 18mm.

I'm not sure a tubeless conversion with a wide tire would be ideal, on the other hand picking such a heavyweight dh tire as you did might help a bit. This does strike me as a strange setup though, this is a light xc rim, its not gonna hold up for much dh use you know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah thats what I was afraid of. I dont do steep, pounding DHs but they are sharp rocky and loose so I was wanting the beefier profile and grip up front and planned to run Velociraptors in back for the climbing. Am currently on Maxxix Ignitors. I guess I need better rims.

Former Bike Wrench
    The DS2 is 23.4mm wide externally and 17.5mm internally. I used to run a set on my 5" travel AM bike with 2.3 Weirwolf FR tires and they actually worked pretty good (with tubes). Not sure about running tubeless but it's a very shallow rim cavity so a Gorilla Tape conversion might work. I'd probably run a UST or Tubeless Ready tire over a DH tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Can I run a UST on these rims and could you please briefly detail what makes a UST/ tubeless ready tire better for the conversion?. I see a lot of good tires now that are TR.