mtbr member
    Jun 2007

why a stan's rim?

Why should i get a stan's rim vs 819 other than for weight benefit?
    thanks!

No. Just No. Moderator
    If you are planning to convert standard (non-UST bead) tires to tubeless operation, you may find the bead hook shape of Stan's rims works better than UST. Stan's also claims that for a given inner rim width his lower bead hook wall height will change your inflated tire profile slightly, giving it more volume. Also, if you are running larger tires than you could potentially go all the way up to a Flow rim to get a wider inner rim width at a weight still less than the 819, which would give you a flatter profile of tread against trail if you prefer that to a more rounded inflated profile.

Quote Originally Posted by reebert
    Why should i get a stan's rim vs 819 other than for weight benefit?
    thanks!

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    The Stan's rims also don't use any funky little eyelets that you need a special wrench to install like the 819s do. I will say the 819s are a bomb-proof rim...very strong and reliable in my experience, but they are a little on the heavy side. That is just one trade off. If you are going to use UST beaded tires (either full on UST or the lighter "Tubeless Ready") then the 819s are nice due to their solid inner wall. Hope that helps some.

mtbr member
    Stans is chinchy... they run one of the softest compound of metal I have seen for a mtn bike rim. The racers at the shop have all had problems with them. They bend easy. They flex under cornering. They are difficult to get round and true. They run a lower spoke tension compared to what others in the industry are running. All leading to disposable rims.

Not a big fan of the Mavic either.... but given the choice... I would choose it over the Stans.

If you are running 29'er you could check out the DT swiss RR1.1... much better than those two listed.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Bonty Dusters are an option as well but the 819 is very tough and very durable. Stan's rims just build up harder than the 819 or DTs rims and cannot take as much tension. The Flows however, have been quite durable. I don't like any of the other rims they "build" (well, someone builds the rims for them- not sure who).

If you want to run UST tires or TR tires, the true UST or Tubeless Ready rims are the way to go. If you want to convert regular tires to tubeless, I'd rather use Notubes or a regular rim; not a UST rim. That said, I believe it to be an unsafe option and no longer convert regular tires. I simply use UST or TR (Tubeless-Ready) tires.