Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    482

    Why isn't Slime used as opposed to Stan's?

    Why isn't Slime used in tubeless wheels instead of Stan's?

    I set my wheels up Gorilla Tape Ghetto for the past two seasons - totally flawless so far, with Stan's of course.

    I use Slime in my TuBliss system for my motorcycle, which makes me wonder why Slime isn't used for bikes. Too thick / heavy?

    I'm doing a big loop today and I know I should go buy a bottle of Stan's to throw a couple scoops in there (it's been a couple months), but that big bottle of Slime looks tempting.

    Anyone use Slime for tubeless?

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,057
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Why isn't Slime used in tubeless wheels instead of Stan's?

    I set my wheels up Gorilla Tape Ghetto for the past two seasons - totally flawless so far, with Stan's of course.

    I use Slime in my TuBliss system for my motorcycle, which makes me wonder why Slime isn't used for bikes. Too thick / heavy?

    I'm doing a big loop today and I know I should go buy a bottle of Stan's to throw a couple scoops in there (it's been a couple months), but that big bottle of Slime looks tempting.

    Anyone use Slime for tubeless?
    I use Slime Pro for my tubeless ready tires. It is a latex based sealant and does not clump as it dries out.

    The regular Slime does not seal the casing very well. Need the latex for that. Does OK for punctures in UST tires that already have airtight casings.

    Slime Pro and Geax Pit Stop are my go-to sealants. Do want to try Orange Seal.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,354
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I use Slime Pro for my tubeless ready tires. It is a latex based sealant and does not clump as it dries out.

    The regular Slime does not seal the casing very well. Need the latex for that. Does OK for punctures in UST tires that already have airtight casings.

    Slime Pro and Geax Pit Stop are my go-to sealants. Do want to try Orange Seal.
    Slime Pro has worked great for me. No issues with Orange Seal either outside of cost.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    39
    I do a 1:1 blend of stans and slime.... do I have a scientific reason I do it? nope.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    482
    Ironically today as I was getting ready to head out for a big afternoon loop, I had a leak in my back tire at the stem.

    So on the way home from running around I stopped at the LBS for a bottle of Stan's; merely because that's just what I've used since my intro into tubeless. Freakin' $28 out the door for the big bottle. I would have gone with Slime Pro had I read this before I left. That's a ton of money for stuff that dries out so fast.

    For now I'll just stick with Stan's, but I don't plan on staying with it once this bottle is empty.

  6. #6
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,317
    I use the recipe in post #2 of this thread: Best Tubeless Brew? with a smidge of glitter mixed in and it seals like a mofo. It's also WAAYYYY cheaper than Stan's to make yourself. Oh, and it uses Slime and that's how it's relevant to this thread.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    I use the recipe in post #2 of this thread: Best Tubeless Brew? with a smidge of glitter mixed in and it seals like a mofo. It's also WAAYYYY cheaper than Stan's to make yourself. Oh, and it uses Slime and that's how it's relevant to this thread.
    That's a weird-sounding mix, but yeah I found that thread too, and thanks for the input. My wife should have glitter around the house somewhere; I'm sure she uses that crap for fooffy projects.

    But first I have to fix a really odd leak at my stem - around the stem. No idea how air is getting through (plan to re-tape it and start over, but also eyeing the American Classic valves).

    Thanks for all of the input.
    Last edited by KGAmoto; 10-03-2013 at 07:55 AM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    269
    What I do not like about non latex slimes is that the pin hole punctures seems to open up again if I ride in a lot of water. The glycol seems to get 'soft' again.

  9. #9
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,838
    I use Stans and Slime mixed together. Sometimes I substitute 'Mold Builder' latex (from Michael's) for the Stans, and thin it with water to suit. Incredibly unscientific as I don't stress over any particular ratio :~). I just go by 'feel' as to whether or not it is too thinned out.

    I rarely add both Stans or Slime at the same time to 'the jug' of sealant. When I see the green color fading too much much toward a vanilla color, I add Slime. When I see it too green, I add latex (Stans or Mold Builder). If it's too thick with Slime or Mold Builder, I add water. I don't let it get any thiner than something resembling slightly thick milk. It works reliably for me and my riding buddies that work from 'the jug'. I try to keep the 1 gallon jug at least 1/3 filled so I'm not getting anything too far in any direction when I add one ingredient or another. Apparently, it isn't rocket science ;~)

  10. #10
    Tree Crasher
    Reputation: rockhop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    391
    I have a bottle of Orange Seal on the way. Hoping it works on tires exposed to Stan's.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smithcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by djandyszontagh View Post
    My girl friend has Slime Pro. She has had it for over two years.
    And you've been dating her for three years, you do the math. I suggest you both take a trip to the free clinic.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    703
    old thread, but wanted to share pictures of what regular Slime looks like and does. It sealed up fine and holds air, but it oozes green slime around the rim and through every litle pinhole in the tire. This is after a month, and I have a couple small slime spots on the floor where my bike was sitting. Definately worth going for Orange Stuff or an equivalent latex based tubeless brew.




  13. #13
    I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Reputation: Zachariah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,354

    Orange Seal FTW

    Orange Seal rocks. I used it right after Interbike last year, and it still was wet, after "refreshing" it recently! The BEST part? No more weird Star Wars figurines, bouncing around inside the casing! Orange Seal spreads thinly, evenly and gradually dries that way too.

    In my climate - I'm lucky to even get one month, from Stans. Slime Pro is slightly better.....but OS is a vast improvement over both of those products.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

  14. #14
    I like bikes.
    Reputation: Dirtydogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    311
    this is why I run tubes.
    Tubeless is such a headache and requires constant maintenance. reminds me of my wife.

    watts888, I think its time to pull off the warning label off your wheels..lol
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    703
    It'll fall off eventually. It's not the looks that count, it's how well I crash, and if someone gets it on video.

  16. #16
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,882

    Why isn't Slime used as opposed to Stan's?

    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Why isn't Slime used in tubeless wheels instead of Stan's?

    I set my wheels up Gorilla Tape Ghetto for the past two seasons - totally flawless so far, with Stan's of course.

    I use Slime in my TuBliss system for my motorcycle, which makes me wonder why Slime isn't used for bikes. Too thick / heavy?

    I'm doing a big loop today and I know I should go buy a bottle of Stan's to throw a couple scoops in there (it's been a couple months), but that big bottle of Slime looks tempting.

    Anyone use Slime for tubeless?
    IME, latex based sealant required to seat and seal non UST tire. Regular Slime, as opposed to Slime Pro, does not contain latex. It is designed to plug punctures. Latex only sealant plugs punctures as well, but IME can take a while

    So I'm in the mix latex with slime camp. If I wasn't a Homebrew mixer, I'd use premixed Slime Pro, kill 2 birds with one stone commercial sealant.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  17. #17
    noob
    Reputation: trueblue01gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    187
    i use a mixture of both.
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,159
    Regular old Slime for auto tires has been working fine for me.

    I have one tire that has a porous sidewall, and the fluid keeps leaking out slowly. And even with the rest of my tires, it starts getting dry after two or three months. However, it lasts longer than Stans without the mess, and about the same as Trek Superjuice, so considering the price, I have no complaints.

    That said, I am going to try Slime Pro -- I have read so much good about it, and if it lasts a year, it will be worth the extra $$$.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    18

    Re: Why isn't Slime used as opposed to Stan's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Orange Seal rocks. I used it right after Interbike last year, and it still was wet, after "refreshing" it recently! The BEST part? No more weird Star Wars figurines, bouncing around inside the casing! Orange Seal spreads thinly, evenly and gradually dries that way too.

    In my climate - I'm lucky to even get one month, from Stans. Slime Pro is slightly better.....but OS is a vast improvement over both of those products.
    Zach: so it's OK to switch to Orange Seal after you've used Stan's on your current tires? I just had my first tubeless setup done at the bike shop using Stan's sealant before reading about OS. I live in the high desert and expect the Stan's to dry out quickly. Will refill with OS instead.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    24
    Has any of you tried the slime pro OTR?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by BodegaBay View Post
    Zach: so it's OK to switch to Orange Seal after you've used Stan's on your current tires? I just had my first tubeless setup done at the bike shop using Stan's sealant before reading about OS. I live in the high desert and expect the Stan's to dry out quickly. Will refill with OS instead.
    I've switched to Orange this year and some of the tires had been used with Stan's prior. I cleaned them out the best I could but there was still some residual dried up Stan's. The tires sealed up easily with Orange and I've had no issues riding so far.

    I'm also very interested in Orange's SubZero sealant. Plan on using it next winter on my fat bike set up.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    18
    Thanks kutter

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydogg View Post
    this is why I run tubes.
    Tubeless is such a headache and requires constant maintenance. reminds me of my wife.

    watts888, I think its time to pull off the warning label off your wheels..lol
    I run tubeless in Las Vegas which is arguably some of the worse terrain for sharp rocks and cacti.

    I have not (knock on wood) had any issues with tubeless to the point where I don't ever touch the tire until I am replacing it which is about every 3 months.

    I know it seems like alot of work to have tubeless to some where I think it is a lot of work to stop a great ride to replace a tube when it is 105 degrees out and the sun is baking me.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,159

    Re: Why isn't Slime used as opposed to Stan's?

    Quote Originally Posted by oilnewby View Post
    I don't ever touch the tire until I am replacing it which is about every 3 months.
    Damn, dude, how much do you ride?!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Damn, dude, how much do you ride?!
    I am usually putting in about 120-140 miles per month. Not alot for a tire but the trails my group rides are very rocky and it tears the tires up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Slime PRO for UST Application?
    By cru_jones in forum Arizona
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 10:50 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 05:08 AM
  3. Tubes, should I go w/ Slime or something different?
    By tealboy1 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 12:08 AM
  4. Slime in crossmax st?
    By kneetowaist in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 04:28 PM
  5. Liners or Slime
    By Licketysplit in forum Arizona
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 04:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •