Give it a crank

This is why I don't like patching tires

In the beginning, there was a brand new The Captain tire. After a couple of rides, there was a sidewall tear on it. It seemed like a no biggie, just 1/4" long, looking like a thin scratch. Then there was a patch, a large 2" auto patch, glued to the inside of the tire.

Then there were a few hundred miles on the patched tire, with an inner tube filled with slime, and also a tire liner. As the miles accumulated, so did the wear and tear on the poor tire. Then the patched tear began to enlarge into a round hole as the fibers around it began to break, one by one, ride by ride.

The patch began to poke it's bald head out the sidewall tear as if it wanted a piece of the action. "No, said the rider, you stay inside that filthy tire." Then, "what's that?" inquired a fellow riding buddy. "Oh, it's patched, it's good", said I and kept on riding. But another ride later, the patch nearly gave birth to an alien lifeform. It was now bulging out by 1/4" and that was too much for comfort.

Here are the pictures of this sad, true tale of The Captain with a flimsy patch. It all began with a thin, 1/4" long slice and ended like this. Gladly, it was caught before failure on the trail. The End.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    In the beginning, there was a brand new The Captain tire. After a couple of rides, there was a sidewall tear on it. It seemed like a no biggie, just 1/4" long, looking like a thin scratch. Then there was a patch, a large 2" auto patch, glued to the inside of the tire.

Then there were a few hundred miles on the patched tire, with an inner tube filled with slime, and also a tire liner. As the miles accumulated, so did the wear and tear on the poor tire. Then the patched tear began to enlarge into a round hole as the fibers around it began to break, one by one, ride by ride.

The patch began to poke it's bald head out the sidewall tear as if it wanted a piece of the action. "No, said the rider, you stay inside that filthy tire." Then, "what's that?" inquired a fellow riding buddy. "Oh, it's patched, it's good", said I and kept on riding. But another ride later, the patch nearly gave birth to an alien lifeform. It was now bulging out by 1/4" and that was too much for comfort.

Here are the pictures of this sad, true tale of The Captain with a flimsy patch. It all began with a thin, 1/4" long slice and ended like this. Gladly, it was caught before failure on the trail. The End.

Stretchy rubber patches are not a fix for cut casings. If the broken threads are on the outside even a good patch on the inside will do little.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I'm with stupid
    I did that in two spots last night out riding. I wont be patching them either. I tried that once and it never worked out except on a UST tire and a Park UST boot.

no trees are safe
    Should of stitched before you patched.
    Last edited by Millfox; 11-21-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

I patched inside of tear on sidewall too. 5 rides old.

Only ran it on back, but one of my friends said "toss that thing". I did. I spent about an hour looking for it about a week ago, then remembered I threw it out last spring before I was tempted to use it. Just spent $40 on new one, sucks to spend money, but safer on those 100 foot tall exposed trail sections.

Yup. A cut sidewall spells the end of the reliable life of the tire.

mtbr member
    Wow, that's *****in! You got more miles out of your $ for the tire. But yeah, kind of bummer if that leads to a walking home. Cool story and pictures. Love it!!

mtbr member
    My new 29'er Stumpjumper FSR came with The Captain on the rear and an Eskar up front. Both, unfortunately, were the "S-Works" rather than the "Control" model. Both sidewalls gave out in short order on rocky trails. Now I make sure I buy the heavier-duty "Control" versions if and when I buy a tire with the Specialized brand.