on my 3rd wind...

New question here. Where to purchase Mavic 819/3.1 nipple cup tool?

Anyone know where I can purchase Mavic 819/3.1 rim pre nipple cup tool? Looked and looked and so far no luck. Haven't checked LBS yet since I prefer online purchase. Any lead will be appreciated.
    sth

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackHound
    Anyone know where I can purchase Mavic 819/3.1 rim pre nipple cup tool? Looked and looked and so far no luck. Haven't checked LBS yet since I prefer online purchase. Any lead will be appreciated.
    Try this one....
    http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item=PK2435
    it's FAR superior to the Mavic tool. Any shop with a BTI account can get it, (QBP probably has them in stock too), or just give me a call and I can help.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Dunno how it compares to the Park tool Larry mentioned, but I got the Mavic tool from Speedgoat:

http://www.speedgoat.com/product-popup.asp?part=82106

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    Dunno how it compares to the Park tool Larry mentioned, but I got the Mavic tool from Speedgoat:

http://www.speedgoat.com/product-popup.asp?part=82106
    I am looking to buy the tool Larry has mentioned but the Mavic tool you provided is for the pre nipple cup? Just want to make sure since I am not looking for spoke nipple tool that adjusts spoke tension. Thx.
    sth

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I am looking to buy the tool Larry has mentioned but the Mavic tool you provided is for the pre nipple cup? Just want to make sure since I am not looking for spoke nipple tool that adjusts spoke tension. Thx.
    Yes, they both do the same job (installing the nipple cups into the rim).

Here is what a nipple cup with nipple installed looks like (from Park's web site), and shows what the nipple cup profile is:

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    Yes, they both do the same job (installing the nipple cups into the rim).

Here is what a nipple cup with nipple installed looks like (from Park's web site), and shows what the nipple cup profile is:
    Thx a bunch to you and Larry. I am going to be build my 1st wheel using Mavic rim, most likey 819, and you guys info will solve one issue. Next issue is the spoke length when using Dimension QR/20mm front hub w/ 12mm nipple...urrrrrgh! Shop I was going to buy all the parts from wasn't able to answer...but they can build the front wheel for me. Strange.
    sth

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thx a bunch to you and Larry. I am going to be build my 1st wheel using Mavic rim, most likey 819, and you guys info will solve one issue. Next issue is the spoke length when using Dimension QR/20mm front hub w/ 12mm nipple...urrrrrgh! Shop I was going to buy all the parts from wasn't able to answer...but they can build the front wheel for me. Strange.
    I'm somewhat in the same position. I'll be building a wheel with an 823 rim soon and am unsure how the nipple cups effect spoke length calculations.

The DT Swiss web site has a spoke length calculator, however I've found the hubs/rims I'm interested in aren't in their database. You can provide the missing parameters and they'll calc the lengths for you, though in my case I don't have the rim [Mavic's site prob has the rim stats needed] and hub to measure.

Jobst Brandt's wheel book also has the calculations for determining spoke length. I think fair use would preclude copying the whole page, though you might look for the book in a shop, or check Sheldon Brown's site to see if he has the same calculations.