I'm with stupid

When to go Maxxis WT

It says build around 35mm inner rim width. I was wondering when you start needing the the WT if you are below that. So say at 30mm or 32mm is it better to go with the WT version of the tires, or stick with the non WT versions. At what point are you starting to need to get WT tires to get the tire the closest to they way they were engineered?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You must have been reading my mind. I was just contemplating this same thing for my 29mm rims. What is optimal Maxxis width/design for a front tire?

a. 2.3 DHRII/DHF/Aggressor etc
    b. 2.4 DHR II WT, or
    c. 2.5 DHF WT.

Seems maybe b. would be the middle of the road here for our middle of the road sized rims. Who knows.

Slower But Faster
    I read somewhere here that the Minion DHF and DHR2 2.3 were designed around a 23mm rim. Seems logical as that was at the wider end of normal trail rims at the time they were designed. That's not to say they don't work (or are even better) on a wider rim.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    I read somewhere here that the Minion DHF and DHR2 2.3 were designed around a 23mm rim. Seems logical as that was at the wider end of normal trail rims at the time they were designed. That's not to say they don't work (or are even better) on a wider rim.
    I read the high roller 2 was as well. I am just wondering if at 30mm which is 7 mm one way 5 mm the other, which would be the better choice. WT or normal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

meow meow
    id say at about 30mm you could go either way. just depends on the tire profile you want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    I love Blister Gear Review - I just wish they did more mountain bike and mountain bike equipment reviews! Their tire reviews in particular are very helpful (at least for me, as I tend to gravitate towards the type of tires they prefer).

I'm running Velocity Blunt 35's with a 30mm inner width. I decided to stick with the standard 2.3 DHF and DHR2 because I like the profile they provide and haven't found anything to fault with the performance. I'm sure I'll try WT one day, but they'll have to be on sale. In the meantime, no complaints from me.
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    As a counter-point, i've got 28mm rims (Spank Spike) and am running a DHF 2.5 WT on one bike. My other has 38mm Light Bicycle rims with a standard DHF 2.5. I can't really tell the difference to be honest. The WT *might* bite with a little less lean-in but i'm not sure that's even a bad thing.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't over think it. With rims from 25 to 35 iw you can run either as many have. Your choice if you want a wider, heavier tire or vise-versa. I've run both 2.3 and 2.5wt on 29 iw rims and they work just fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    When to go Maxxis WT-imageuploadedbytapatalk1457105161.832403.jpg

That's a DHR2 WT 2.4 on a LB 30m internal rim (23 psi). It replaced a 2.3 Wtb Vigilante. New tire has a rounder profile, though volume is about the same.

Only had a few rides on it (first Minions) and still getting used to the different lean angles but I like the combo so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    28mm rims (Spank Spike) and am running a DHF 2.5 WT on one bike.
    FYI, spank spikes are 28mm outside diameter. They have a 23mm inner diameter. When people discuss rim widths for the purpose of tire selection, they are talking about the inner diameter.

I know this as I also run Spank Spike (race 28 evo)

mtbr member
    Maxxis employee here. At 30-32mm inner width you're closer to the WT design than the older 2.30 designs. For what it's worth a few of our rim/wheel partners have tested and developed wider rims around the WT tires and some enjoyed the performance and weight of 32-33mm inner width rims instead of the full 35mm as intended. As always YMMV since so much of this is personal. These days you can really square a tire off if you like or run a rounder profile depending on how soon you like to engage the side knobs.

mtbr member
    I run standard DHRII rear and DHF front 2.3 EXO 3C MaxxTerra on 30mm ID rims and they work great.

I thought about getting some WT's but the clearance for the rear tire on my bike is pretty close even with the 2.3, not sure I would have room for the 2.4 WT DHRII.

They look pretty monstrous in person and grip like crazy with 22psi rear and 20 psi front.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Maxxis employee here. At 30-32mm inner width you're closer to the WT design than the older 2.30 designs. For what it's worth a few of our rim/wheel partners have tested and developed wider rims around the WT tires and some enjoyed the performance and weight of 32-33mm inner width rims instead of the full 35mm as intended. As always YMMV since so much of this is personal. These days you can really square a tire off if you like or run a rounder profile depending on how soon you like to engage the side knobs.
    I've got a question for you, while you're here!

What's the deal with the WT? I'm confused. They are made for wider rims, but it seems that the cornering knobs are pushed inwards. Typically since a wider rim would square off the profile and move the cornering knobs inward, I would have thought the goal would be to re-round the profile and push the knobs outward again. Am I confused? Is there something I don't know?

Just curious. My LBS and I were measuring the knob widths thinking that the WT would be wider, and we were confused.

Definitely not complaining though, i'm happy with both my WT and non-WT's

Keep on Rockin...
    Tuned in, and btw that black Tranny does look cool.

Black bikes always look cool, almost as cool as trans-red.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Tuned in, and btw that black Tranny does look cool.

Black bikes always look cool, almost as cool as trans-red.
    thanks bro!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    FYI, spank spikes are 28mm outside diameter. They have a 23mm inner diameter. When people discuss rim widths for the purpose of tire selection, they are talking about the inner diameter.

I know this as I also run Spank Spike (race 28 evo)
    That was kinda my point--i'm running WT's on narrow rims and non-WT's on wide rims. The only real difference I notice is a slight change in when the side knobs bite.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So I just got the DHR2 2.4WT for my rear tire and mounted on my wide Derby rims and if you can believe it, there is actually more tire clearance than a 2.3 DHF in the back... I measured and its about 1-2mm more clearance. So if you're worried about them fitting you're likely OK. I pulled the trigger after reading that test session posted above. We'll see how it rides this weekend.

First Look: Maxxis DHF & DHR II ?Wide Trail? | Blister Gear Review - Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing, Kayaking

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Reviving this thread. I have Derby wheels on a Pivot Mach 6. A bit worried about the clearance in back as there isn't a lot with a 2.3 Purgatory. Are you saying if I go to a 2.4 wide tire, I may actually get more clearance? Was initially thinking about the WT on the front and a standard 2.3 DHR2 on the rear.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Reviving this thread. I have Derby wheels on a Pivot Mach 6. A bit worried about the clearance in back as there isn't a lot with a 2.3 Purgatory. Are you saying if I go to a 2.4 wide tire, I may actually get more clearance? Was initially thinking about the WT on the front and a standard 2.3 DHR2 on the rear.
    I run Purgs on Derbys on my M6, and have done the DHR2 in the past and just swapped out again yesterday. Plenty of clearance with that.

The WT flavor isn't supposed to be that much wider, just a modified tread pattern.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Notice any difference between the DHR2 and the Purgatory? Trying to figure out if I should get a 2.3 or a 2.4 WT. Or, possibly a Slaughter for this summer. My Purg needs to be retired.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    @ GTscoob will there be an Ardent WT soon?

I'm with stupid
    I want a high roller 2 WT more than anything, in 29er flavor please.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Notice any difference between the DHR2 and the Purgatory? Trying to figure out if I should get a 2.3 or a 2.4 WT. Or, possibly a Slaughter for this summer. My Purg needs to be retired.
    DHR2 has better grip, but slower rolling than the Purg Grid.

Both are great tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    @ GTscoob will there be an Ardent WT soon?
    It's not in the works but we've got a few new things lined up that should fill that gap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks GTscoob. Eurobike I guess?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Last night, I bought and installed a DHF 27.5 x 2.5 WT in the front on a Roval 29mm inner Wheel. Took it on it a ride this morning and it performed flawlessly!!!

mtbr member
    Reviving this thread again for discussion. Many top wheel manufacturers are still not putting out non-plus size rims of 35mm that would match the stated spec for Maxxis WT. SC's new Reserve carbon wheels max at 30mm. Ditto Enve in their wider standard/non-fat M 70. Stans at 29mm, etc.

Is Maxxis telling us they want us to basically ride Ibis wheels only with WTs, and otherwise run regular tread patterns on these ~30mm rims from Enve, SC, etc? And if few people are making 35mm rims will WT fail to gain traction?

I think the concept of WT is interesting but the application seems limited as of now and still unclear whether the benefit is big enough to specifically target 35mm rims. Seems doubtful since SC recently took what i'm sure was a hard look at this and chose to max out at 30mm. Thoughts?
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    I put a lot of thought into this and settled on 35mm front / 30mm rims rear for various reasons

One could argue that 35mm rims are only starting to become a necessity with 2.8" tires and I'm inclined to agree

A 30mm rim of same weight is stronger and less prone to damage due to the rim horn being further away from the tire sidewall, it makes the tire rounder which could reduce rolling resistance (interestingly Mavic says the same with their latest DeeMax release, 28front / 25rear)

So there are definite advantages for the narrower rim whereas the additional width of a 35mm rim is underlying the law of diminishing returns, according to enve there is no further benefit in terms of tire deflection and sidewall stability

I opted for the wider 35mm rim front nevertheless as I do run the 2.6" at very low 10psi and rolling resistance is more a rear wheel issue

Keyboard Warrior SuperModerator
    Apr 2016
    I just reached out to Maxxis on this topic and they've agreed to an interview. I've drafted some questions but if you want to know anything specific, please ask it here. No guarantees, but I'll try my best to get everything answered!

If you can get all your questions in by tomorrow morning (8/2/17), that would be ideal.

- Saris

I'm with stupid
    Awesome! I cannot wait to read a interview. My only questions that come to mind right off the bat are.

How come no WT semi slick yet and what happen there?
    When will the HR2 WT be on shelves?
    Why always the end of the season release dates?
    Plans to make a tire that will battle is out with the Magic mary and more importantly the Hans Dampf that is not a XC tire like the forekaster?
    What makes the WT good or bad on different sized wheels. What are the ill effects of running say a 2.5 DHRr/DHF combo on a 25mm innner wheelset?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBR_Saris View Post
    I just reached out to Maxxis on this topic and they've agreed to an interview. I've drafted some questions but if you want to know anything specific, please ask it here. No guarantees, but I'll try my best to get everything answered!

If you can get all your questions in by tomorrow morning (8/2/17), that would be ideal.

- Saris
    Very cool, looking forward to hearing what you learn

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    I now have good amount of ride time on the 2.5 DHF, 2.6 Forkaster, 2.6 Rekon on both 30i and 35i rims. All of the tires mentioned perform well on both rim widths.

The main difference I noticed was the 2.6's on the 30i rim tended to "Pop" when the edge of the tire came in contact with small objects on the trail. (Basically the edge knobs catching the object and slipping off very quickly.) This can still happen on the 35i, but it is much less frequent and not as noticeable (loud) when it happens.

So for me at least, I now have a limit on what size Maxxis tires will go on which rims for the bikes I ride aggressively on trail. I will stick with 2.5 and 2.4 with my 30i rims and 2.6-2.8 for the 35i rims.

YMMV

Saris, I have a question to add if you have the chance. Will Maxxis be adding a 29x2.6 Forkaster to the line up to match the upcoming 29x2.6 Rekon?

(The 27.5x2.6 Forkaster is working great this summer as a front tire paired with a Rekon rear.) Coming from a DHF fan...
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Will Maxxis be adding a wide trail Minion SS and when will the Aggressor WT be released?

Erik

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBR_Saris View Post

- Saris
    Will the 29x2.5" tires be available as WT and non-WT? Website listings are incomplete.
    2016 Fuse Pro 29/6Fattie
    2017 Stumpjumper Comp 29/6Fattie

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    I now have good amount of ride time on the 2.5 DHF, 2.6 Forkaster, 2.6 Rekon on both 30i and 35i rims. All of the tires mentioned perform well on both rim widths.
    (The 27.5x2.6 Forkaster is working great this summer as a front tire paired with a Rekon rear.) Coming from a DHF fan...
    @bubba13 - Looks like you've done quite a bit of testing with maxxis tires. I have two questions that you may be able to help me with!

1) I currently run the 2.6 3C Rekon up front with 32mm ID Nextie rims.
    I am thinking about trying the 2.6 Forkaster but may abandon ship switch back to my tried and true 2.5WT 3C DHF. Will I be disappointed with the grip of the Forkaster or is it much grippier than the Rekon?

2) What are your thoughts on 60TPI vs 120TPI? I'm currently running the 120TPI Rekon up front and can feel the tire roll under hard cornering at 20psi. Not super happy with the grip either...would a 60TPI remove that squirmy cornering feeling and allow me to lower the pressure?

Sorry for the loaded question...but it sounds like you've tried lots of combos and may have good info!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbanta View Post
    @bubba13 - Looks like you've done quite a bit of testing with maxxis tires. I have two questions that you may be able to help me with!

1) I currently run the 2.6 3C Rekon up front with 32mm ID Nextie rims.
    I am thinking about trying the 2.6 Forkaster but may abandon ship switch back to my tried and true 2.5WT 3C DHF. Will I be disappointed with the grip of the Forkaster or is it much grippier than the Rekon?

2) What are your thoughts on 60TPI vs 120TPI? I'm currently running the 120TPI Rekon up front and can feel the tire roll under hard cornering at 20psi. Not super happy with the grip either...would a 60TPI remove that squirmy cornering feeling and allow me to lower the pressure?

Sorry for the loaded question...but it sounds like you've tried lots of combos and may have good info!

Thanks!
    Hey jbanta.

So far I have been happy with the 3C Forkaster up front with the DC Rekon out back. The 3C Forkaster does offer more grip than the 3C Rekon and is more predictable as a front tire. I have as much confidence in the Forkaster as I do the DHF, but it's limits are at a different level. The Forkaster has a lighter feel like the Rekon and the 200g heavier DHF offers a more damped and solid feel.

I am the type of rider that enjoys a bit of drifting the bike. So a tire that will let go, but do it predictably is fun in my book.

On the 120tpi vs 60tpi up front question. I would say stick with 120tpi up front and go for a more aggressive tread pattern/casing. It sounds like a DHF 3C in 2.5 is right up your alley. The new 2.6 could work too?
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the info! I've been wanting to try the Forkaster but wasn't sure if would have enough cornering grip. The Rekon is ok, but not the best as a front tire. I love the DHF, but its a slow-ish heavy tire for an XC bike! If the Forkaster is anywhere close in cornering it's worth a shot.

The 120TPI 27.5x2.6 DHF looks to be good too - I'll definitely be getting one once I wear out my current 2.5 DHF.

Apr 2016
    Hey All,

Thanks for all the questions. In regards to future product development (e.g. availability of certain models and sizes), I'm not sure if they'll be able to comment, but we'll see what they say. Should have answers back by next week.

Saris

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Saris, could you ask if there is a Minion DHR II 27.5 x 2.5WT in the near future?
    thanks.
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just replace NN's with DHR2 & DHF WT's. Noticeable difference in tire profile. Went from a tire with sidewalls that were wider than the tread to a tire that looked normal.

They'tre not the biggest tires...actually less volume than the Schwalbes. But that's ok because my bike doesn't have the room in the back for massive tires. |I'm running Ibis 941 wheels. The WT's certainly are the real deal. Hopefully they make the new Aggressor WT in a size I can fit. Or at least keep the DHR2 2.4.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Saris, could you ask if the 2.5 aggressor will be available also for 26 wheels?
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I find it interesting that they offer so many tire models.
    So many model adds to my condition which Maxxis to even try!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am currently running front 27.5 x 2.5WT minion on a 25.5 IW flow ex and seems to be totally fine and grippy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePodraza View Post
    I am currently running front 27.5 x 2.5WT minion on a 25.5 IW flow ex and seems to be totally fine and grippy!
    Could you measure it, or post a pic maybe? I'm still contemplating whether to go to a standard 2.3 or will I be going to 2.5wt. My rims are dt ex471. I believed it has 25mm id so i want to know how's the measurement and fitting of a 2.5wt going to be. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder123 View Post
    Could you measure it, or post a pic maybe? I'm still contemplating whether to go to a standard 2.3 or will I be going to 2.5wt. My rims are dt ex471. I believed it has 25mm id so i want to know how's the measurement and fitting of a 2.5wt going to be. Thanks.
    FWIW, I ran 2.3 DHFs for 2.5 seasons on an ID 24 Enve AM rim. I switched a few weeks ago to a 2.5. I am going to eat the cost of the 2.5 and go back to a 2.3. Way too much sideways deflection off rocks, roots and gnar at speed, and imprecision/washing out when cornering at speed. Far from confidence inspiring, the 2.5 has made me second guess doing anything at speed. For me, the 2.3 was a much better choice for my rim, suspension, riding style, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks for the input mtnbkrmike, i think to get the optimal benefit of a 2.5wt at least I need to have a minimum 30mm id rim. I'm just thinking of the WTs coz maxxis always run smaller in size. I'm on nobby nics 2.35 right now and the volume of these tires are bigger compared to other 2.3s of maxxis.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    rode the SC Bronson with the DHF 2.6WT-Front and DHF 2.5WT-rear, couldn't fit the 2.6WT on the rear. when I first mounted the tires, I thought I might not like these heavy tires but man, and I wrong, they don't feel heavy at all. Infact, they roll pretty damm good on all types of surfaces, have not try mud yet.
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ckspeed View Post
    rode the SC Bronson with the DHF 2.6WT-Front and DHF 2.5WT-rear, couldn't fit the 2.6WT on the rear. when I first mounted the tires, I thought I might not like these heavy tires but man, and I wrong, they don't feel heavy at all. Infact, they roll pretty damm good on all types of surfaces, have not try mud yet.
    what rim size are you using for those tires?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I use Ibis 742 Carbon rims with 35mm internal width.
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

mtbr member
    Saris, thanks for the interview. She'll be posting a more comprehensive interview including a lot of the questions asked in this thread but we wanted to jump in and respond to a few questions that did not come up in our chat last week.

Quote Originally Posted by DriverB View Post
    Reviving this thread again for discussion. Many top wheel manufacturers are still not putting out non-plus size rims of 35mm that would match the stated spec for Maxxis WT. SC's new Reserve carbon wheels max at 30mm. Ditto Enve in their wider standard/non-fat M 70. Stans at 29mm, etc.
    MTB development is very much an iterative process with many technological leaps happening a very small amount at a time. We shot for the moon with WT, optimizing it around a rim width we found tested out best even though it was significantly larger than what the market offered. The wheel companies you mentioned have to ensure their products work well with our competitors' tires as well so it's not as easy for them to fully comply with the WT design philosophy. We do have very close relationships with all of the leaders in the rim/wheel world and have discussed the merits of WT with them all. Expect rims to get wider when there are more tires on the market optimized for wider rims.

Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    How come no WT semi slick yet and what happen there?
    When will the HR2 WT be on shelves?
    Why always the end of the season release dates?
    Plans to make a tire that will battle is out with the Magic mary and more importantly the Hans Dampf that is not a XC tire like the forekaster?
    1. There has not been much demand for a larger Minion SS but we have discussed the potential given the needs of World Cup DH racers and availability of a 2.5" Minion SS in the DH-Casing.
    2. The 2.50WT High Roller II will land in our warehouses mid-to-late September and will likely take a few weeks to ship out to the distributors and LBSs.
    3. We release new tires throughout the whole year, so far this year we have released the 29x2.25 Aspen (Nino-improved pattern), several 2.6" options, 26+ options, reinforced Rekon+, several new road products, etc. It's pretty non-stop but things did slow down a bit in order to get brand new 29er DH tires out to all of our teams this season.
    4. There is a new DH tire in development currently that tested very well over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    Will Maxxis be adding a wide trail Minion SS and when will the Aggressor WT be released?
    There are not currently any plans to offer a Wide Trail Minion SS and the WT Aggressors should be available in late September or early October.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    Will the 29x2.5" tires be available as WT and non-WT? Website listings are incomplete.
    WT molds will be replacing older non-WT molds for many 2.5" products. Our website will reflect these changes as they occur.

The 60 TPI tires will offer a bit more support and resistance to squirm due to the slightly stiffer and more-damped casing. As far as patterns go, the Forekaster does offer an improvement on traction compared to the Rekon.

Quote Originally Posted by ckspeed View Post
    Saris, could you ask if there is a Minion DHR II 27.5 x 2.5WT in the near future?
    thanks.
    This is a project we've discussed in the past but we cannot confirm anything beyond that at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by sundace View Post
    Saris, could you ask if the 2.5 aggressor will be available also for 26 wheels?
    thanks.
    At this moment there are not plans to bring the WT Aggressor to the 26" platform.

We'll keep an eye on this thread and jump in when appropriate. Thank you all for the questions!

MTB B'dos
    Assume you're talking about the one Greg Minnar had a hand in developing with you guys that a few sites had up pics of. Looks like quite a few tyres combined and the weirdest thing, no big open space between centre and edge knobs, lots of transition knobs.

Looked like it performed well in the dry, not so good in the wet or were the Syndicate running the Shortys or something else once the rain came in and they couldn't penetrate the harder under surface properly? What tyre was Jack Moir running on his Intense, as he sure had a good run?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxisTires
    4. There is a new DH tire in development currently that tested very well over the weekend.
    When to go Maxxis WT-s1200_msa17_n3x8202.jpg
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    LyNx - I saw this Instagram post of Minnar and his bike post MSA race. Looks like he had this new tire on the bike.
    When to go Maxxis WT-2017-08-07-13_44_59-greg-minnaar-%40gregminnaar-instagram-photos-videos.jpg

I'm with stupid
    That's the minion mary! Can't wait to try it. Please make it 27.5 2.5 Maxx Grip in DD and exo please. Thanks!

MTB B'dos
    Ah cool, thanks for that, not very into the whole social media following thing, so didn't see that. Know Brosnan was on the 650B Shorty or maybe Wet Scream, didn't get a good look. Still curious what Moir was on to get him just over 4 seconds from Gwin.

LyNx - I saw this Instagram post of Minnar and his bike post MSA race. Looks like he had this new tire on the bike.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-08-07 13_44_59-Greg Minnaar (@gregminnaar) • Instagram photos and videos.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	1150848

Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Still curious what Moir was on to get him just over 4 seconds from Gwin.
    A strong cocktail of courage and confidence? Oh, and a bike that fits? :P

That was an amazing race.

mtbr member
    Moir among others has been on our 29x2.50WT DHFs, new for this season. This was a Wide Trail and Tubeless-Ready refresh to the older 2013 29x2.5 DHF DH-Casing tire we developed for the Moab crowd several years ago when long travel 29ers first started being produced. We have a 29er Shorty available for the teams running 29ers but Jack chose to stay with his DHFs for the MSA race. Syndicate was on the new tire.

MTB B'dos
    Really must wonder, why the heck the Syndicate would have stuck with that tyre in those conditions, not a whole lot of space between the knobs to let them clear and not as tall knobs to get through the mud and get purchase. Guess this just proves again why the DHF is considered by many as one of the best tyres out.

What options are the new DH DHFs available in, only 2.5" or are you guys going to offer 2.3" as well, or does no one running the DH want a tyre that narrow? Curious that pretty much all the other DH sizes are wire bead, but the 29ers are folding and only available in Maxx Grip and not Super Tacky, is this because of the longer contact patch and better grip of the 29ers or at least the thinking behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxisTires View Post
    Moir among others has been on our 29x2.50WT DHFs, new for this season. This was a Wide Trail and Tubeless-Ready refresh to the older 2013 29x2.5 DHF DH-Casing tire we developed for the Moab crowd several years ago when long travel 29ers first started being produced. We have a 29er Shorty available for the teams running 29ers but Jack chose to stay with his DHFs for the MSA race. Syndicate was on the new tire.

I'm with stupid
    My 29er DHF Maxx Grip DHF 2.5 with "DH" casing folding TR bead do not have a WT hot patch on them. Are they WT?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    My 29er DHF Maxx Grip DHF 2.5 with "DH" casing folding TR bead do not have a WT hot patch on them. Are they WT?
    if I'm not mistaken, maybe they are the first batch of WTs, without the "WT" label. today, all the new batch of 2.5wt comes with a WT label.

mtbr member
    Really must wonder, why the heck the Syndicate would have stuck with that tyre in those conditions, not a whole lot of space between the knobs to let them clear and not as tall knobs to get through the mud and get purchase. Guess this just proves again why the DHF is considered by many as one of the best tyres out.

What options are the new DH DHFs available in, only 2.5" or are you guys going to offer 2.3" as well, or does no one running the DH want a tyre that narrow? Curious that pretty much all the other DH sizes are wire bead, but the 29ers are folding and only available in Maxx Grip and not Super Tacky, is this because of the longer contact patch and better grip of the 29ers or at least the thinking behind it?
    There was not enough rain to really soak the track. At the time of the race there was mud on track but it was largely water running over the track that hadnt had enough time to really soak in yet. Plus that rocky of a course really does not suit the knob height of a full or cut spike.

The DH casing tires will likely only be offered with the 2.5" constructions with DoubleDown varieties as well. 2.3" tires will typically top out with a DoubleDown build given that the riders wanting DH-Casing tires do not want to run a 2.3. RE: rubber compounds, a lot of those are dictated by the goals of the tire. When the 29er DHF DH-Casing project was initiated in 2013 it was largely focused on 29er riders in the Southwest US who wanted a tire with durability on all fronts.

If it's a DH-Casing 29er tire, it is a standard tire at this time. These will eventually be replaced with the tires many of the World Cup athletes are racing on which feature a WT mold.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    That kinda confirms my on the trail experience running the 2.5WT DHF on my 24id rims. Guess I should have stuck with my trusty 2.3s.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    2.4" WT Aggressor. We need this Maxxis! Many of us are on 30mmID and it flattens the 2.3". My Bronson won't do the 2.5 in the rear comfortably.

Can you add this to the tally of 'not so satisfied with the 2.3' crowd? Thanks!

MTB B'dos
    Since I know a Maxxis rep is monitoring this thread, thought I'd post this up here and ask a question. So, is what Chris Cocalis said true, is there another casing coming out soon somewhere between DD and EXO? If this is true, then wow, would be a real game changer IMHO.

Mtbr: Is plus on the wane?
    CC: Iím a huge fan of plus. Iíve been working with Maxxis quite a bit on tire tech to allow tires to hold up better. We came up with something almost a year ago thatís just going into production now. Basically itís stronger than Double Down casing but only 40-60 grams heavier than a 120 tpi EXO protection tire.

mtbr member
    Since I know a Maxxis rep is monitoring this thread, thought I'd post this up here and ask a question. So, is what Chris Cocalis said true, is there another casing coming out soon somewhere between DD and EXO? If this is true, then wow, would be a real game changer IMHO.
    seems like this would replace the DD casing, since it's stronger and lighter. Basically would make DD useless!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    seems like this would replace the DD casing, since it's stronger and lighter. Basically would make DD useless!
    Chris and Pivot were very instrumental in helping develop our reinforced Rekon+. This is not a new casing but rather a new combination of our EXO sidewall protection with our road-bike SilkShield bead-to-bead puncture protection layer. Combined, these two layers provide additional support and bottom-out protection, similar to DoubleDown but with better performance in the plus-tire application. SilkShield+EXO will not replace DoubleDown in smaller tires but we are evaluating bringing it out as another option for riders who want a bit more than EXO but are worried about the weight-gain of a DD build.

I'm with stupid
    Good news to hear. I do hope it comes to market across the product line. Now that have my WT highroller 2 coming out I vote this is the next "upgrade" for the 2.6 dhf and dhr line up. Since a DD 2.6 would weight a shit ton.

MTB B'dos
    That sounds amazing. You guys already do this on a number of tyres AFAIK and on the Rekon+ it makes perfect sense, as with just EXO, the casing just does not have the umpf of the Minions etc with EXO, yet it is an excellent tyre. I may have been lucky so far or the fact that I'm riding it on the rear of my rigid and hence maybe not riding as hard/fast through the chunky and that makes it easier to pick a good line and avoid sliding the sidewalls along sharp coral and cutting the casing. For me it's an excellent rear, fast rolling, yet still lots of grip, paired up with the DHF upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxisTires View Post
    Chris and Pivot were very instrumental in helping develop our reinforced Rekon+. This is not a new casing but rather a new combination of our EXO sidewall protection with our road-bike SilkShield bead-to-bead puncture protection layer. Combined, these two layers provide additional support and bottom-out protection, similar to DoubleDown but with better performance in the plus-tire application. SilkShield+EXO will not replace DoubleDown in smaller tires but we are evaluating bringing it out as another option for riders who want a bit more than EXO but are worried about the weight-gain of a DD build.

mtbr member
    We can use 2.5"WT and 2.6" in this 27.5" rims?:

https://shop.mavic.com/es-es/en-427-...3806&1039=3514

mtbr member
    Not mind blowing revelation, but I would recommend running very low pressure on the 2.5 DHF 29er Exo/3c/tr. The knobs are big and tough; amazing tire everyone knows but I've noticed this iteration feels quite stiff and as a result slidey on hot mid-summer rock with higher pressure (20+ feels like a rock on this tire) . I haven't found the low pressure yet I can run without hitting a rim but it think it could be teens

Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverB View Post
    Not mind blowing revelation, but I would recommend running very low pressure on the 2.5 DHF 29er Exo/3c/tr. The knobs are big and tough; amazing tire everyone knows but I've noticed this iteration feels quite stiff and as a result slidey on hot mid-summer rock with higher pressure (20+ feels like a rock on this tire) . I haven't found the low pressure yet I can run without hitting a rim but it think it could be teens

Sorry if this sounds dumb but is that on the front or rear? And your weight?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    Sorry if this sounds dumb but is that on the front or rear? And your weight?

Thanks
    Running it up front, I weight 180 without gear.

Marin County, CA