mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Wheelset Recomendation

So i'm in the process of getting a new wheelset since both of my rims are bent and a few of my spokes had bent. I am 160 lbs and ride a variety of conditions but mostly XC and trails, but i have a lot of technical terrain in my area as well, however I like big features a lot. Am i correct that since i am a lighter rider i dont need a rim that is really strong and maybe on the lighter side? I know that as i move up the price range the quality of the build and components of the wheelset improve, but is it possible to get a good wheelset for under 200$ or would i just be wasting my money on something that wouldn't last? I would consider myself an aggressive rider so i want something that can take some wear and that will be durable. Thanks!!

mtbpete
    "Good" is relative to what you want and need. But, based on the description of your riding you're not likely to get a long lasting wheel for $200.

Dented rims can be avoided with a little higher air pressure and avoiding square-edge hits while seated. Even heavier rims can be dented when plowed into rocks at speed.

Bent spokes are often the result of sticks or a derailleur that's out of adjustment or bent into the spokes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    then what price range would you suggest? My question is basically how much money should i invest in this wheel set. Looking online and reading reviews it is hard to get a sense of this and i thought that 200-250 would buy me something okay for a season or two...but if not what wheelset would you recommend? im lost in the choices, and yes I know how wheels get damaged

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisherwood View Post
    then what price range would you suggest? My question is basically how much money should i invest in this wheel set. Looking online and reading reviews it is hard to get a sense of this and i thought that 200-250 would buy me something okay for a season or two...but if not what wheelset would you recommend? im lost in the choices, and yes I know how wheels get damaged
    If you build one yourself you can build a good one for about that price. Check out BHS Hubs online... That is about as good as it gets quality and price wise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Wheelset Recomendation

At that price range you can find something stout, but not necessarily all that light. You'd need to spend some where north of $500.00 to get both a lighter, better quality wheel set.

EBenke

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Wheelset Recomendation

You might be able to get Azonic Outlaws in the 290 range on eBay right and they can be run tuebless with tape. Not the lightest wheels, but stout, from what I have heard.

El