Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Wheelbuilding resources

Questions on wheel building turn up again and again. The best answers contain specific information and references to wheel building resources. I'd like to invite anyone with links to tuitorials, books, or tips to add them to my list.
    Mike T's Wheel Building page
    Sheldon Brown's Wheel Building page
    Barnett's Wheel Building pdf
    Wheel Fanatyk's Wheel Building tips
    Rowland Cook's Wheel Building page
    Mountain Bike Performance Handbook by Leonard Zinn
    Manual of Bicycle Repair (chapter17, page 246)
    Earl Young's Wheel Building page
    Pancho Herrera's YouTube Wheelbuilding series
    Cycleshed's guide
    Last edited by Jesse Smith; 05-18-2009 at 10:25 AM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Jesse, I will stick this.

It would help if you could write a title for each link to clarify what info is being provided
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

A wheelist
    Are these going to be just freebie 'net links or can Roger Musson's great e-book make the list?

Great original idea BTW Jesse.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Are these going to be just freebie 'net links or can Roger Musson's great e-book make the list?

Great original idea BTW Jesse.
    I waited for you to add Roger's book. It adds more credibility.

Yo.
    Believe it or not, Gerd Schraner's The Art of Wheelbuilding has been scanned into a PDF file here. Don't know how long the link has been around, but get it while it's hot, because once the seccret is out, the powers that be might seek to put the kibosh on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Smith
    I waited for you to add Roger's book. It adds more credibility.
    lol +1

mtbr member
    This got posted not too long ago on apples web site:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...engthcalc.html

I like mud
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie
    Believe it or not, Gerd Schraner's The Art of Wheelbuilding has been scanned into a PDF file here. Don't know how long the link has been around, but get it while it's hot, because once the seccret is out, the powers that be might seek to put the kibosh on this one.
    Awesome - I downloaded it. It may be a bit old and full of typos from the scan, but I assume the fundamentals are there. It was a good fast read and offers some good diagrams and examples. Thanks for this.
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

I like mud
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie
    Awesome - I downloaded it. It may be a bit old and full of typos from the scan, but I assume the fundamentals are there. It was a good fast read and offers some good diagrams and examples. Thanks for this.
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The Pinkbike forum has an area called the Mechanics Lounge and one user posted a step by step photo essay on wheel building. Fairly well done and helpful.

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listco...threadid=70066

I like mud
    Very good...I will use that.
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

anyone else smell that?
    1. Your signature can not be longer than 125 characters.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I used Sheldon Brown (RIP)'s instructions more than 5 years ago and the wheel (XTR hub/Bontrager Mustang ceramic rim) is still running beautifully. First build ever using a cheap Minoura stand.

It really isn't that hard if you have a few tools and a little patience. Kinda fun even

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Reposado Man
    It really isn't that hard if you have a few tools and a little patience. Kinda fun even
    I just built my first wheel using a Minoura stand and guidance from MikeT's website.

One tip I took from there was to lubricate the spoke-nipple-eyelet interfaces. I used an upside-down spoke to grease the eyelets, and a plumber's brush to lubriplate the threads. The wheel went together like butter, with good even tension. I honestly kind of impressed myself, so I expect the next one to be a nightmare to even things out.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

dwt
    mtbr member
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have ordered two sets of wheels from Larry @ Mtn. High Cyclery. Just curious is he on vacation have not been able to reach him.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    heyy guys, bit off topic but was wondering, my front wheel is buckled yet rideable. can i get away with just buying a new rim and not having to replace the spokes or hub??

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulas64 View Post
    my front wheel is buckled yet rideable. can i get away with just buying a new rim and not having to replace the spokes or hub??
    Sure you can if -

• The rim is the same ERD (Effective Rim Diameter) as the old one. Then you can use the old spokes.
    • The spokes are not damaged or fatigued.

And depending on the quality of the wheel, it could be cheaper getting a whole new wheel than having a rim replaced.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

the mechanic
    Mar 2011
    :Great info! This is perfect for the few customers that ask me how they can build their own wheels.

-eddie.
    can i use a rim designed for v brakes as disc brake rim if i buy a new hub? an old crossmax rim has lost its ceramic coating and i'd rather just buy a hub and some spokes than a whole new set up.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by -eddie. View Post
    can i use a rim designed for v brakes as disc brake rim if i buy a new hub? an old crossmax rim has lost its ceramic coating and i'd rather just buy a hub and some spokes than a whole new set up.
    This should be split off into a new post, but...

A rim used for rim brakes will work fine for disc brakes too. And you CAN reuse a hub, or a rim in decent shape. Just have to be careful about inspecting it before you start. Are you planning on doing the rebuild?

If not, then you are looking at a shop, and a shop is less likely to let you reuse a rim, or spokes.

A new rim does not have to be overly expensive. And after pulling the spokes out, you may find that the old rim isn't in the best shape. Out of true, out of round, cracked around an eyelet, etc.

Check at Bicycle Wheel Warehouse for a feel on prices, your local shop, and favorite mail order places. Bought my last setup from Chad at Red Barn and was very happy with 'em.

Good luck,
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

-eddie.
    thank you. i am still in the market. looking around. thanks for the reference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Thanks for the tips

Thanks for all the tips, I will be trying my hand at wheel building in the near future....

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    No love (or scanned documents) from the O.G. guru/nerd, Jobst Brandt?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for putting this together. I just started screwing around with some wheelbuilding, and its been loads of fun

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast