Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    New here - Looking at putting together some wheels for my bike and I got these off of craigslist today. I am trying to figure out exactly what Phil Wood hubs these are. Does anyone know anything about them?

I got an old Specialized Rockhopper A1 FSR Comp frame that I am putting together for a project. I dont know exactly how to get these hubs to work with the frame. Any help is appreciated!

Hopefully the pics work!

[IMG]
    From Phil Wood Hubs
    [/IMG]

From Phil Wood Hubs

From Phil Wood Hubs

Viva la Vida!
    Help please.
    Ok so I am using the spoke calculator from Pro Wheel Builder.
    #1 Wheel Building SPOKE CALCULATOR Now Online | PROWHEELBUILDER
    And I get these values; 281.5, 282.4, 292.2, 291
    What am I suppouse to buy 282 & 283 or go smaller and get 281 & 282?
    I guess the question is. Do You go with the longer or the shorter number?
    I am lacing some Stan's FLOW with Chrios kIngs.

Thank you for any help.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Custom Wheel Builder
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffstephens View Post
    New here - Looking at putting together some wheels for my bike and I got these off of craigslist today. I am trying to figure out exactly what Phil Wood hubs these are. Does anyone know anything about them?

I got an old Specialized Rockhopper A1 FSR Comp frame that I am putting together for a project. I dont know exactly how to get these hubs to work with the frame. Any help is appreciated!

Hopefully the pics work!

[IMG]
    From Phil Wood Hubs
    [/IMG]

From Phil Wood Hubs

From Phil Wood Hubs
    Those look like Phil wheelchair hubs with the axle only on one side. Contact Phill Wood they might be able to get you an axle conversion kit to make a front hub.
    Contact me if you need any wheel building supplies
    Darryl

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Mike Ts home wheelbuilding site is a good one. He has lots of information and he is easy get in touch with if you need further clarification.
    Another biggie is Sheldon Brown.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    Mike Ts home wheelbuilding site is a good one. He has lots of information and he is easy get in touch with if you need further clarification.
    Another biggie is Sheldon Brown.
    Sheldon has made himself MUCH harder to reach though.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Dont know which spoke length should I choose.

I have Mavic Ex 823 Disc rims with Hadley hubs (20mm & 150mm, both 32h) Planning to do 3x lacing, for spokes I chose DTSwiss Champion 2mm with 14mm brass nipple.

Spoke calculator gives me these result

Front 255mm & 255.9mm
    Rear 256.3mm ja 255.8mm

Can I go 256 for all spokes, or should I use 254 on other side front.

Champions are only 254 & 256 no 255

Also what confuses me is the fact that there is 3 models of 823 rims and I dont know which one I have, its not the latest, and on a rim there is no reference to ERD number

Thanks

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    what confuses me is the fact that there is 3 models of 823 rims and I dont know which one I have, its not the latest, and on a rim there is no reference to ERD number
    All the more reason for measuring your own ERD. How did you come up with spoke lengths if you're not sure of the ERD?
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well I used these 2 calculator
    Edd, an easy to use spoke length calculator

they seem to have most usual rims & hubs on their databank. I have used those previously without any problem. Now its just the fact that i noticed different models of 823 rims. Its not the newest one that I have, and those 2 older ones gives right about the same results. I guess my initial question is, with these results
    Front 255mm & 255.9mm
    Rear 256.3mm ja 255.8mm
    Should I be OK with all spokes 256, because there are no 255 available.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    Well I used these 2 calculator
    Edd, an easy to use spoke length calculator

they seem to have most usual rims & hubs on their databank. I have used those previously without any problem. Now its just the fact that i noticed different models of 823 rims. Its not the newest one that I have, and those 2 older ones gives right about the same results. I guess my initial question is, with these results
    Front 255mm & 255.9mm
    Rear 256.3mm ja 255.8mm
    Should I be OK with all spokes 256, because there are no 255 available.
    Unless you have a cast-iron, self-measured, correct ERD, anything further might as well be a guess.

K&K

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    That's what I was wondering. when was any one going to mention Jobst Brandt. Maybe old school. But that's how I learned wheel building. His book is easy to follow. It not that long, so the price on it is reasonable. Sorry but it's copy right infringement to scan and post it. plus mine has lasted me over 20+ years, it's a good investment.

mtbr member

solved.

delete.
    Last edited by client_9; 02-06-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oberwil View Post
    That's what I was wondering. when was any one going to mention Jobst Brandt. Maybe old school. But that's how I learned wheel building. His book is easy to follow. It not that long, so the price on it is reasonable. Sorry but it's copy right infringement to scan and post it. plus mine has lasted me over 20+ years, it's a good investment.
    One of my local mechanics prides himself as being a really good wheel builder and he said he used Brandt's book exclusively to learn how to build. I'm really interested in trying and I've been threatening to give it a whirl for a while now. I just need to buy the proper tools and parts and give it a go. I'd really like to upgrade the wheels on my new bike so I can run tubeless...might as build them myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

A wheelist
    Schraner's book is the worst one I own (I own 'em all). Roger Musson's is by far the best IMO - and with totally free updates.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Schraner's book is the worst one I own (I own 'em all). Roger Musson's is by far the best IMO - and with totally free updates.
    +1, Musson's is the best book by far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Spoke recommendations for an aggressive trail bike? Lots of love for Sapim CXrays and laser, but not sure if there are others that balance weight, strength, and price better. Thanks in advance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2