RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Wheelbuilders - your source for parts?

I've used Cambriabike.com in the past. I like that they sell spokes in individual units. A box of 50, or 72 in one size has never made any sense to me. Seems the vast majority of consumers need a mix of sizes in quantities of 16 or 18, no? What good is a box of 50 or 72 all the same size?

So, unfortunately Cambriabike is out of stock on the parts I want for my next build. I'm looking for Wheelsmith DB14 or DT Supercomp spokes and Wheelsmith black brass nipples.

Where do you guys who build frequently buy your spokes & nipples?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

Custom Wheelbuilder
    We buy all of our spokes from Alchemy Bicycle Works. Its nice because they will give you any quantity and they have Db14s. They also ship things out consistently fast.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Where do you guys who build frequently buy your spokes & nipples?
    ThorUSA for Sapim spokes & nipples. His other company is the N.Am importer.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just ordered some Sapim Race spokes from danscomp.com. Price was LOW, shipping is FAST. Order any quantity, comes with nips. Never ordered from them before so we'll see what actually shows up on Thursday.

mtbr member
    Danscomp for Sapim spokes and nipples

Hubs and rims...whomever has the best price

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    bikehubstore for hubs (mtb and road) and will try their wide 23mm road rim for a new 700c tubeless build.

danscomp for spokes

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My spokes arrived from Danscomp today. Looks like I got 16mm nips with mine. If you like small nips, you might want to score some 12mm but the Sapim 16's should pose no building issues according to what i've read.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Thanks for checking in as promised Mike. I decided to go with wheelsmith db14 spokes & 12mm nipples from Alchemy. good price and service as mentioned earlier. I did notice dans Sapim prices were great too.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    anybody have experience with DMR hubs from england , if so what kind of hubs would I need I have a sram 2x10 on my 29er Im only using for xc riding. I seen them on ebay and I was told about them from my LBS.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by aluz79 View Post
    anybody have experience with DMR hubs from england , if so what kind of hubs would I need I have a sram 2x10 on my 29er Im only using for xc riding. I seen them on ebay and I was told about them from my LBS.
    You wont need anything custom for 2x10 and/or 29er. My advice is to look around here for "best hub". Sorry, never used a DMR.

mtbr member
    danscomp.com for spokes too, if you google coupons you can usually find free shipping. Makes their spokes by far the cheapest. If you buy a bunch of them they start giving you automatic discounts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i will be attempting to build my own wheels anyway for me to calculate spoke length.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    +1 for dans comp. Most spokes only come in odd or even sizes not both. Dans comp prices are half of the other places and that price includes cutting to get odd or even sizes.

I just placed an order and they got here in a couple of days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    my second order of DansComp Sapim Race spokes arrived today. Measure, measure again, (measure again for good measure), then order once. oops.

Now if my rims would ever get here... I went the ebay route on some Stan's Arch rims and I think they shipped via turtle. Should've just ordered direct from Stans as they were the same price (i found out later). Arghhhh.

And I also must say that Roger Musson's book is excellent. I tried following the youtube vid on how to build and it is junk compared to Roger's book. Roger's book is detailed enough and his method of lacing is far superior to anything else i've tried. If you want to build wheels, just pony up the $14 and buy the book. Wheelbuilding book for wheel building