mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Wheel width VS tire width

I want to go with a bigger set of tires, no larger than a 2.3, as is my bike has factory wheels & 1.75 tires, will the wider tires be fine on the wheels I have or would a wider set of wheels be better suited ??

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What is the width of your current rim? I'm currently riding on 17mm rims with Panaracer Rampage 2.35's and I haven't had any problems even though my rims are on the narrower side.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    There is, generally speaking, a relationship between inner width of rim and tyre size?

For example, what is the min and max tyre size for a rim with 23mm on inner witdth?
    Maybe 2,0"-2,6"?

mtbr member
    I found 2.35" Nobby Nics squirmy on 19 mm rims. I switched to 21 mm and have been much happier with them. Depends on what pressures you run - narrow rims become problematic more easily at lower pressures.

Here's a chart for reference: Tire Sizing Systems

2.35 is 60 mm wide, so according to that it's too wide for my 21 mm rims, so the chart indeed does seem to err on the safe side like it says.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    No idea what size the rims are to be honest, just a cheapo pair that came on a wally world special used for donor parts, I was just curious if they mite make for constant problems, think I'll get the wider tires & run them untill I can find some wider rims, at least then I'll know first hand what works & what dont.

aka greyranger

width

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Fire View Post
    No idea what size the rims are to be honest, just a cheapo pair that came on a wally world special used for donor parts, I was just curious if they mite make for constant problems, think I'll get the wider tires & run them untill I can find some wider rims, at least then I'll know first hand what works & what dont.
    With a 2.35 tire I would at least look at a 21mm inner width. I have run 2.35 on a 19 mm inner width and at times it feel like it was rolling over.

mtbr member
    I didnt like 2.35's on 19's... Big 2.1's seemed to be pushing 19mm rims for me.

It "works", but its a bit subjective if its good or bad. The lighter you are, the better it seems to work. Most people have to adjust pressure higher to compensate for the rolly/squirmy feel.