mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Wheel recommendations to fit 37c tyres

Hello. I want to replace my current rear wheel on my Salsa Casseroll so I can fit larger tyres. I want to be able to fit at least 32c tyres, but larger if need be. It also needs to accomodate a Shimano 9 speed road cassette, to integrate with the rest of the drive train, as I will be swapping the cassette over to the new wheel.

Ideally, I want a gold hub, although I do realise this dramatically reduces my options. I also would prefer gold nipples, once again I realise this also reduces my options. I would also like silver spokes in Sapim CX Ray and of course a suitable rim (in black) to fit a larger tyre as quoted. I am considering a Mavic A319 or A719 at this stage.

Ok, ive listed my specific wants in the above paragraph. I have not surprisingly not found this wheel listed anywhere. I would be extremely surprised if anyone posted a link with my exact specs I have requested.

Which is why I have opened this thread as my next step to obtaining this wheel. I know I can have the wheel built with the specs im asking but I thought id ask the question and get some advice from more knowledgable persons on this site.

The dilemma I have with off the shelf options out there is that almost all road wheels (130mm hub options) only have rims suitable for up to 28c (some 32c) tyres. For larger trye options the only other option I can find is going with a 135mm hub. That isn't any good to me as my bike is set up for a 130mm road hub.

So I want options to fit larger tyres but without maxing out the tyre recommendation on the rim. That's why a rim like the A319 or A719 would be suitable as it has a tyre recommendation of 28-47c tyre. Unfortunately, I can't find a wheel with these larger rims as standard on a road hub set up. Basically, a road hub with a MTB/29er rim.

The color options I have listed are not a priority, the tyre size and 130mm hub choice is the first priority.

What do you suggest/recommend please ?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by punchy View Post
    Hello. I want to replace my current rear wheel on my Salsa Casseroll so I can fit larger tyres. I want to be able to fit at least 32c tyres, but larger if need be. It also needs to accomodate a Shimano 9 speed road cassette, to integrate with the rest of the drive train, as I will be swapping the cassette over to the new wheel.

Ideally, I want a gold hub, although I do realise this dramatically reduces my options. I also would prefer gold nipples, once again I realise this also reduces my options. I would also like silver spokes in Sapim CX Ray and of course a suitable rim (in black) to fit a larger tyre as quoted. I am considering a Mavic A319 or A719 at this stage.

Ok, ive listed my specific wants in the above paragraph. I have not surprisingly not found this wheel listed anywhere. I would be extremely surprised if anyone posted a link with my exact specs I have requested.

Which is why I have opened this thread as my next step to obtaining this wheel. I know I can have the wheel built with the specs im asking but I thought id ask the question and get some advice from more knowledgable persons on this site.

The dilemma I have with off the shelf options out there is that almost all road wheels (130mm hub options) only have rims suitable for up to 28c (some 32c) tyres. For larger trye options the only other option I can find is going with a 135mm hub. That isn't any good to me as my bike is set up for a 130mm road hub.

So I want options to fit larger tyres but without maxing out the tyre recommendation on the rim. That's why a rim like the A319 or A719 would be suitable as it has a tyre recommendation of 28-47c tyre. Unfortunately, I can't find a wheel with these larger rims as standard on a road hub set up. Basically, a road hub with a MTB/29er rim.

The color options I have listed are not a priority, the tyre size and 130mm hub choice is the first priority.

What do you suggest/recommend please ?
    37mm tires work just fine on narrower "road" rims. I am using 50mm tires on 19mm road rims with no issues. Have used 2.6" wide tires on 20mm rims in the past.

The rims you list will also work fine, but to get the specs you want it will be a custom build, Not going to find a prebuilt wheel anywhere close.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Just have them custom built. Then you can get exactly what you want...for a price
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

transmitter~receiver
    Custom build.
    Also consider Velocity A23 or Dyad
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    37mm tires work just fine on narrower "road" rims. I am using 50mm tires on 19mm road rims with no issues.
    I would really like to believe that. So you think Shimano C24 Dura Ace wheels will be just fine with 37c tyres ? There is a fair difference between a 28c tyre and a 37c tyre on a road rim. Everything I read up on Shimano road wheels tells me they only recommend 28c as the biggest tyre you should fit on them. Im just not so sure putting a 37c tyre on a Dura Ace race wheel is the right thing to do.

Also, I want to transfer these wheels over to my other 'racer' bike anyways. A Cannondale alloy frame, as the drive train and wheels on that bike are on their last legs. The frame is in excellent condition though, so I want to restore it with a fresh drive train and, as I said, build up another wheel for the Salsa.

Im ready to go custom, but I really want to explore off the shelf options first. As it would work out alot cheaper.

Come on, there has to something out there on the web surely ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was thinking of this wheel. It recommends 23-25c tyres, but states it can fit as large as 35c tyres. But im not sure if its the right way to go.

Wiggle | Zipp 101 Clincher Rear Wheel (Beyond Black) | Performance Wheels

What do you's think ?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by punchy View Post
    I would really like to believe that. So you think Shimano C24 Dura Ace wheels will be just fine with 37c tyres ? There is a fair difference between a 28c tyre and a 37c tyre on a road rim. Everything I read up on Shimano road wheels tells me they only recommend 28c as the biggest tyre you should fit on them. Im just not so sure putting a 37c tyre on a Dura Ace race wheel is the right thing to do.

Also, I want to transfer these wheels over to my other 'racer' bike anyways. A Cannondale alloy frame, as the drive train and wheels on that bike are on their last legs. The frame is in excellent condition though, so I want to restore it with a fresh drive train and, as I said, build up another wheel for the Salsa.

Im ready to go custom, but I really want to explore off the shelf options first. As it would work out alot cheaper.

Come on, there has to something out there on the web surely ?
    The tire size recommendations are VERY conservative.

I have been using 38mm+ tires on rims about that width for more than 20 years. Currently using 50mm (fifty millimeter) tires on 14mm (inside width) with zero issues--none, nada.

You are more limited by frame/fork clearance than by rim width.

You can build custom wheels for about the same price as the Dura Ace or Zipp wheels, or even less, and possibly better than the prebuilts.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the replies. All advice taken on board.

Any other suggestions fella's ? Any custom builds you's would recommend ? Hubs, rims ? Any recommendations for off the shelf wheels ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ok, ive taken the advice that larger tyres should work fine on my current rims. Had some 32c tyres in the shed, and wrapped them on my rims. Taken it for a test ride around the block a few times. Seems to be working just fine so far.

Except I have a slight high point on the rear tyre right were the valve is. I have used a Schwalbe 28-47c rated tube on the rear. On the front I have a 18-25c rated tube with no high points. So I might just rip out the rear tube and put something smaller in it and hopefully that cures the problem. My guess here is that the base of the valve in the tube is a little larger than the valve base on the front tube. Not entirely sure yet.

I ideally I wanted to try 37c tyres, but they are on my Surly Cross Check atm. I think I'll leave them there. The 32c tyres seem to be big enough for now and as a trial tyre.

After that bulge is fixed, I'll be going to my next step and converting from a 2x9 to a 1x9, what I wanted to do with it from the beginning

Thanks for your help fella's. I'll update you's with any further tyre size issues.