mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Wheel Balance ?

Do Flow rims sometimes have uneven weight balance ? Thanx

mtbr member
    Nope. No bicycle wheel does.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    When I have my bike in a stand or upside down and give the cranks a good spin the rear wheel makes the bike shimmy like an unbalanced wheel, even without a tire mounted. The hub also has an uneven oscillating sound instead of a steady buzz. I don't feel it while I'm riding, but I hear it. The wheel is true laterally and radially. What would cause it to shimmy and have the uneven hub sound. Thanx.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Nope. No bicycle wheel does.
    Not true. Few, if any, bicycle wheels are perfectly balanced, but it does not really matter when riding.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I would consider a rim thats out of balance to be in need of balancing. Bike wheels arent in need of balancing, so I wouldnt say they're "out" of balance. Maybe semantics, but out-of-balance sounds like a problem to me, so I wouldnt say it applies.

Theres going to be a little weight variance, but they are balanced. Depending on your hub, you can have a pretty good variance in the tone coming from the engagement mechanism. Kings are pretty famous for that when new.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have never seen a balanced bicycle wheel assembly. All of mine shake or shimmy in the stand if spinning the wheel up fast. With that said, no one except maybe people competing for land speed records balances bicycle wheels.

Yes rims are not balanced from the factory, none of em, the weld or pinning of the joint adds weight opposite of the valve hole, being that everyone wants to save weight and the only way to balance a rim without reducing it's strength is to add weight where needed, it isn't done.

Lastly even when hitting 55 mph down a really steep paved road I felt no instability with my out of balance wheels. So it isn't a problem and it isn't anything you will ever notice on the trail.

As for the varying pitch on the king hub, I have a 14 year old king hub that does that and it operates perfectly so don't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey guys thanx a million. Much appreciated.