Thread: Wheel Advice

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Wheel Advice

Currently I am using DT SWISS X1600 wheels on my ASR5-C and it seems as though they cannot handle the abuse that I am giving them. The front wheel seems to be holding up just fine, but I can tell that I am going to have an issue with the rear wheel in the future. I need a heavier duty wheel for my rear that is light but can still handle the beating. I was at my local shop today and although I was getting some good advice, in the end I felt like I was being pressured due commission incentives. So I turn to you. What wheel is light and will not bend easily. I weigh 230lb and do mostly XC riding. I have a budget of $400 per wheel, but I truly only want to replace the rear. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Mavic Crossmax are fantastic wheels. My experience is that they are burly, and if properly tensioned/not abused they will do just fine. Read up a few reviews, but bear in mind, very few wheels will have rave reviews about everything; for Mavic, it would be the sealing on the freehub bearing. Nothing major, just wipe it down after particularly messy rides.

The real issue, though, is that wheels don't bend for no reason. Poor/uneven tension and bad form (sitting on drops comes to mind) is much more likely to invite rim failure. At the price point you are looking at, a quality rim/spoke/hub combo that is properly tensioned will easily survive what you throw at it. Stay away from wheels that have weight limits, and if you have any question, contact the company in question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thank you for responding, your burly comment is insightful. This wheel is from a demo bike that after some investigation has been trued before. My next question is, do I have any leverage to get a new wheel or am I stuck with components that are in "as in" condition? Although I have been riding in an aggressive style, I know I have not been abusing my bike and its components. Along with the wheel I have noticed some chips from my carbon frame. I have yet to take a spill so this has me wondering whether I was duped into a bike with issues rather an a demo bike that was used.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Demo bikes tend to come with issues. They are still 'used', just in the care of a shop or rep.

Truing a wheel is normal, it happens even with well tensioned wheels, though much less often than a wheel with not enough tension on it. Riding aggressively shortens the lifespan of components--you can't do anything about that except ride components intended for heavier use (BMX pedals, AM/DH cranks/wheels, etc).

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So, suggestions on a new wheel that may hold up a little better than my DT SWISS X1600 wheels. Should I go Carbon? If so which make and models. If not not, which make and models? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    chips on a carbon bike are not a problem just part of having a carbon bike. You can minimize this with auto protective tape.

As for the wheels, what is making you say they are not holding up to your abuse? DT hubs are some of the easiest to maintain and durable.

The rims I guess on a 1600 wheelset would be a DT 400 variant.

You could always just get new rims put on the hubs with new spokes using a heavier rim like a DT 500 or Spank Subrosa.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    $ 400 per wheel will allow you great choices. DT Swiss 240, King, White Industries, Hadley, Hope (little less $), I9. Sweet choices! Try $500 rear, $300 front. Same money better choices.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    DT SWISS X1600 are a high end product the way I see it. You don't have to change the hubs, they will last forever if you take good care of them. If I am not mistaken, your wheels have 28 spokes each. You need to find good quality rims with 28 spoke holes. Take the wheels to a good wheel builder, change spokes and nipples, tension them right, ride them, re-check tension and you are set. Enve Composites makes a 28 hole AM rim which seems to be great and very very expensive...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Get a matching dt swiss 32h wheel for the rear. X1800 is 32h