mtbr member

What's wrong with the WTB Prowler XT?

Nashbar has 'em for $14.99. Looks like it should be a pretty good, aggressive tire. Is this one rear specific? I think the Prowler MX was the front specific verson.

Anyone tried them?

usually cranky
    they are fine. had one one the rear, decent tire but for my tastes there are grippier and lighter tires. decently fast though.

Bonafide Clyde!
    Dec 2008
    Great buy at Nashbar. Just ordered another pair, but I run them as rear tire. Very sticky and faster than they look. I run a Prowler MX up front on my UST wheelset. Impressed with both of them. I'd say at $14.99, the XT is worth a chance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    any other feedback on these tires?

dirtbag
    The Prowler is a decent front tire. I have 2.5 on a rigid bike that takes some of the edge in the rough whilst giving excellent traction especially in turns. The side knobs bite into the trail nicely. Just be sure you get the race version, it's the top end and lighter.

There were several Prowler models before they were sadly discontinued by WTB. The MX and SS is (was) a good front / rear set up. Enough so that I got an extra set of them to swap out once my current set wears out.
    Amolan