Thread: What is UST?

mtbr member

What is UST?

Same as tubeless? SUPER TUBELESS?

mtbr member
    UST is Universal System Tubeless. If memory serves me, it is the name Mavic gave it when they developed it. (Mavic's system)
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

Former Bike Wrench
    A standard Mavic developed with Hutchinson (and possibly Michelin but I can't recall exactly) for a standardization of tubeless bicycle tire and rim specifications. A true UST rim and tire can run tubeless without any sealant because the rim and tire casing are air tight. The bead of the tire is also specially shaped to mate with the rim bead hook for a secure fit.

Many have found (including myself) that running regular non-UST tires (with sealant) on a UST rim often results in "burping"...where the tire bead actually rolls off the rim and the result is a sudden loss of air pressure (and usually a crash to go with it). Some manufacturers are now making "Tubeless Ready" tires that have the reinforced bead designed to work with UST rims, but require sealant as the tire casing is not sealed. These are not by definition UST, but work well with UST rims and do not have the "burping" issues.

mtbr member
    thanks!

mtbr member
    I've been reading about UST and TCS lately. The way I understand it so far is:

- Mavic's UST system (UST rims and UST tires) are designed to run tubeless and without sealant and rim tape. As mtnbiker72 described, a UST rim has a specially designed bead hook to interface with UST tire beads, creating an airtight seal without sealant. Of course you need the airtight UST tires to complete the package.

- TCS is WTB's system, which is UST certified. (a | WTB). TCS tires work with UST rims, but need sealant. There are also TCS rims, with a UST compliant rim bead, but need rim tape.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Universal Sytem Tubeless was a specification developed by Mavic Hutchinson and Michelin as mtnbiker said. No sealant required no tape either, had to be mountable by hand and pump able without a compressor. The intent was to come up with a system that was easy to use and foolproof. There are many tires now and rims that are tubeless compatible but unless the tire or rim meet the UST specs, it won't be UST certified. The tires that are tubeless compatible, TCS, 2bliss, TNT, or what have you have a bead that conforms to the UST standard but because they won't hold air without sealant, are not UST certified. Same with rims. If the rim needs tape, it is not certified. Of course most tubeless ready rims and tires work well, but not all. I had a set of WTB TCS rims which I taped with Gorilla tape and I needed a compressor to seat WTB Vigilante TCS tires. Specialized 2bliss tires worked with a foot pump.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    Universal Sytem Tubeless was a specification developed by Mavic Hutchinson and Michelin as mtnbiker said. No sealant required no tape either, had to be mountable by hand and pump able without a compressor. The intent was to come up with a system that was easy to use and foolproof. There are many tires now and rims that are tubeless compatible but unless the tire or rim meet the UST specs, it won't be UST certified. The tires that are tubeless compatible, TCS, 2bliss, TNT, or what have you have a bead that conforms to the UST standard but because they won't hold air without sealant, are not UST certified. Same with rims. If the rim needs tape, it is not certified. Of course most tubeless ready rims and tires work well, but not all. I had a set of WTB TCS rims which I taped with Gorilla tape and I needed a compressor to seat WTB Vigilante TCS tires. Specialized 2bliss tires worked with a foot pump.
    Glad we're digging up threads from 2009 to add clarification... so while we're at it let's get the facts straight.
    UST is a trademark owned by Mavic.
    The specification is maintained by the ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation).
    Mavic has produced UST wheels that required a rim strip... so "no tape" is not part of the requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    also...

Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    ...but unless the tire or rim meet the UST specs, it won't be UST certified.
    Of course if a tire/rim can't be certified it won't be, but just because a product isn't certified doesn't mean it can't be. Certification is a process that takes time and expense; manufacturers may not consider it worth the trouble. UST certification doesn't produce sales.

mtbr member
    Its possible for a tire to be full blown UST spec, but not be marked UST. Its possible for companies to imply UST specs and still be kinda wonky or incompatible.

Your best bet is to use tires and rims designated as tubeless ready. Do a little googling for compatibility before hand and run combos that are known-good. Stans is a major incompatibility offender.

These days its helpful to ignore the UST name, as its day has kinda ran its course.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rwrusso View Post
    I've been reading about UST and TCS lately. The way I understand it so far is:

- Mavic's UST system (UST rims and UST tires) are designed to run tubeless and without sealant and rim tape. As mtnbiker72 described, a UST rim has a specially designed bead hook to interface with UST tire beads, creating an airtight seal without sealant. Of course you need the airtight UST tires to complete the package.

- TCS is WTB's system, which is UST certified. (a | WTB). TCS tires work with UST rims, but need sealant. There are also TCS rims, with a UST compliant rim bead, but need rim tape.
    Kitten Killer..................

Name:  kitten-killer-thread_zpsc418cf7e.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  72.6 KB

by the way. if cat is spelled with a C then why is kitten spelled with a K??? Shouldn't it be Citten or Kat???

I'm not riding my bike again until someone answers this.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.