mtbr member
    Apr 2004

what type of tires?? UST, clincher??? Help

I have a treck 6000 with bontrager factory rims and tires. I am getting ready to replace my tire in the rear and possibly in the front. My question is, I see ust, clincher, tubeless and other things, I know my tires are not tubeless, but will tubeless work? I just do not know which type of tire to purchase to fit the wheels that I have. Also, where can I find out the wait of the tire if it is not listed??

Thanks for the help.

God Bless

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=jeepcj258]I have a treck 6000 with bontrager factory rims and tires. I am getting ready to replace my tire in the rear and possibly in the front. My question is, I see ust, clincher, tubeless and other things, I know my tires are not tubeless, but will tubeless work? I just do not know which type of tire to purchase to fit the wheels that I have. Also, where can I find out the wait of the tire if it is not listed??

Without buying a kit like Stan's no tubes you can't use a tubless tire (unless you wanted to run one with a tube which wouldn't make much sense to me). Stick with a standard tire, many of the tire manufacturers web sites list claimed weights or check out Shiggy's tire site. With traditional tires look for wire bead vs kevlar or folding bead. Wire bead tires are cheaper but also heavier. I would assume you have 26" rims so look for a tire size that starts with that such as 26x2.1 etc. Your old tires will have their size somewhere on the sidewall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the reply, the size is no problem, I just did not know which tire type to run, I keep seeing ust clincher wire bead folding??? I am not very familiar with all of that.

Thanks again, keep it coming.

Combat Wombat
    [QUOTE=jeepcj258]I have a treck 6000 with bontrager factory rims and tires. I am getting ready to replace my tire in the rear and possibly in the front. My question is, I see ust, clincher, tubeless and other things, I know my tires are not tubeless, but will tubeless work? I just do not know which type of tire to purchase to fit the wheels that I have. Also, where can I find out the wait of the tire if it is not listed??

Thanks for the help.

God Bless[/QUOTE

UST is the designation for tubeless tires. UST stands for Universal Standard for Tubeless. Like the previous post pointed out, it is possible to run these with a tube. However, these tires are generally considerably heavier than a standard tire, because of the extra thickness of the casing to make them hold air without a tube. If you used a UST tire with a tube, you could easily add about 400 grams to the weight of each wheel. Almost the weight of a standard tire by itself. They also cost more than the standard versions.
    All mountain bike tires are clinchers. Where you see a difference is with roadbikes, which you can run tubular rims. These use a tire that is glued to the rim, referred to as sewups. This is not even an option for mountainbike tires.
    The bead on a tire is what secures the tire to the rim. This can be either kevlar or wire. The kevlar version is also referred to as folding, because the kevlar bead is flexible and allows the tire to be folded up. Tires with kevlar beads also weigh less and cost more than their wire beaded versions. Wire beaded tires are not foldable, because the wire bead would bend and kink.
    Check this link out, lots of good information. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

Brian

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thank you for all of the good information, this is of great help. I have been surfing this site for just a little while now and every one seems very helpful.

Thanks again
    God Bless