Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What tire would be good for installing ice screws

632 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  shiggy 
#1 ·
I'm trying to find a relatively inexpensive 26" DH tire to put some ice screws into the side knobs. I did this a few years back with a Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.3 on the front, and it is fantastic on ice.

Basically need a tire with huge side knobs, so that the ice screw threads don't puncture the inner tube. I'm running Sun Rhyno Lite rims, and it is going on a hardtail MTB used mainly for commuting. Width can't be more than 2.3.

Recommendations, anyone?

#2 ·
I'm trying to find a relatively inexpensive 26" DH tire to put some ice screws into the side knobs. I did this a few years back with a Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.3 on the front, and it is fantastic on ice.

Basically need a tire with huge side knobs, so that the ice screw threads don't puncture the inner tube. I'm running Sun Rhyno Lite rims, and it is going on a hardtail MTB used mainly for commuting. Width can't be more than 2.3.

Recommendations, anyone?
Cambria bikes has some discounted DH tires, including the Nokian NBX and several Geax models that could work.

Even have studded Nokians

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.