mtbr member

What spokes would I need for building this wheel?

I'm thinking of turning a spare MTB frame into a commuter bike with 700c narrow wheels and disc brakes. I can build wheels, but I'm no good at guestimating what spoke lengths should be used.

Can anyone tell me what spoke lengths should be used for each side of each wheel? I think it should be the same as a 29er with the same hubs and a wheel with the same ERD as the Alex, but I don't have anything like that handy to measure.

Rims:
    Alex DC19 36 hole 700c

Hubs:
    Shimano Deore M475 Disc Rear Hub 36 Hole Black

Shimano Deore M525A 36 hole Front Disc Hub Black - Mike's Bikes - Road and Mountain Bike Shop, components, parts, accessories, service and repair

PS: For what it's worth, the hubs will actually be Quando hubs, but I'm 99% certain that their dimensions are the same as the Shimanos above. Please let me know if you know otherwise.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollution Warrior View Post
    I can build wheels, but I'm no good at guestimating what spoke lengths should be used......Can anyone tell me what spoke lengths should be used for each side of each wheel?......I think it should be the same as a 29er with the same hubs and a wheel with the same ERD as the Alex, but I don't have anything like that handy to measure........hubs......but I'm 99% certain that their dimensions are the same as the Shimanos above.
    What are your chances of getting the right spokes for this wheel? None? Zero? You need to measure your stuff and use a spoke calculator or you might as well just guess.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    I did find a spoke calculator online and most of the data for the hubs I want to use.

Is there though (for future reference or other readers) a database that gives this info? Shimano for one makes it hard to find for some of their stuff.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollution Warrior View Post
    I did find a spoke calculator online and most of the data for the hubs I want to use.
    Is there though (for future reference or other readers) a database that gives this info? Shimano for one makes it hard to find for some of their stuff.
    There are databases, even by companies like Shimano but it has often been found that some of the info is incorrect. So then how can any of it be trusted? This is why many people advise you to take your own measurements and then you know the info is right - or if you do them incorrectly, you are the only one to blame and to suffer. Imagine using someone else's incorrect information?
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.