mtbr member
    Jul 2006

What did you replace your 2.4 Ardent front with?

Willing to give up a little weight/rolling resistance for cornering ability. I tried a 2.6 DHF, but that's way too slow for the bigger rides around here. Most of my riding is in CO.

mtbr member
    I am close to a 2.4 on the front of my hardtail since last season and really liking the change to wider meaty tires. I hear the murmurs that 2.6 is the balance point before crossing into too much tire for fast single track riding. The rumor is that above that, floatation\weight qualities override high speed handling.
    I am considering a new ride with 2.6 front and back (FSR). I ride primarily NW trails, but both sides of the mountains and the occasional trip to the rockies.
    I have been watching for comments regarding this issue and appreciate yours.

mtbr member
    Generally speaking, a slow rolling front tire doesn't have the impact that a slow rolling rear tire does. Maybe go to a 2.4" DHF up front. The Ardent is not known for its good cornering ability.
    I'm running 2.6" Nobby Nics front and back and have no issues in Utah, but there are people who are unhappy with what they consider their lack of durability. I'm up to about 200 miles on a pair, with 120 or so in Moab with no damage or noticeable wear so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Generally speaking, a slow rolling front tire doesn't have the impact that a slow rolling rear tire does. Maybe go to a 2.4" DHF up front. The Ardent is not known for its good cornering ability.
    It may be more noticeable on the rear, but when I switched from the 2.4 Ardent to a 2.6 DHF up front, I was a minute slower on an 18 minute climb I'm very familiar with. I could feel the extra effort the whole way up.

I've been running a 2.4 Ardent since they came out, so I don't really have any real issues with their handling. I'm simply looking to gain some grip, by trying something new.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How about a Rekon 2.6 3c Maxx Terra? Better than any Ardent and WAY faster than a DHF.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    How about a Rekon 2.6 3c Maxx Terra? Better than any Ardent and WAY faster than a DHF.
    I made this exact switch - Ardent 2.4 (which I hated in front) to that Rekon 2.6, and LOVE it as my front trail bike tire. I had also tried the Rekon in back on my SS, but it was way too draggy for a rear tire, IMO. Also, because I didn't want to toss out a new Ardent, I threw it on the back of my SS and now have it on my trail bike, paired with the Rekon front, and I have found it to be a great, durable, well-rolling rear tire.
    Ride more; post less...

Barely in control
    The only wrong with the DHF is that it uses a stone-age rubber compound with massive hysteresis losses.

Replace it with something that has some engineering - Vittoria Morsa G+, Conti Der Baron black chili, Specialized Butcher Gripton, etc....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    The only wrong with the DHF is that it uses a stone-age rubber compound with massive hysteresis losses.

Replace it with something that has some engineering - Vittoria Morsa G+, Conti Der Baron black chili, Specialized Butcher Gripton, etc....
    You and Lane sure like to slam Maxxis tires. I wonder if all the guys standing on the top of the podiums in every racing discipline know they're riding on such crappy, low-engineered, slow, blah, blah tires? Surely they're not getting paid enough by Maxxis to make up for such a disadvantage, huh?
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thinking about a 2.6 Forekaster. And then maybe a Minion SS or Rekon on the rear. Or maybe move the Ardent to the rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Would a 2.6 Rekon work on a 25mm ID wheel?

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring

mtbr member
    I have an Ardent 2.4 on both my 5010 and Primer. I love it as a front tire and have had ZERO issues with it. It lasts forever in SoCal as well. I just returned from 4 days in Sedona on a 6 month old Ardent 2.4 that I thought about replacing but it just won't wear out. It performed in stellar fashion all over Sedona, an area where most people prefer much beefier tires.

I tried a 2.6 Butcher on my Pivot 5.5 (it had a 2,6 Nobby Nic on the back) and like you, it was a drag on climbs. I will have to say that I never did find the Butchers limits. It was one rad tire and pretty decent weight for a 2.6 IMO. The 2.6 Rekon is either loved or hated. Numerous people on the Pivot board complained about it's lack of grip (it came stock on the rear on the 5.5) but others raved about it. As mentioned above, waltaz loves it as a front on his Primer. I may give it a try in a year or two when my Ardent 2.4 wears out (I already have a new one waiting to go on so the Rekon experiment will have to wait a while).
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    My old Transition Bandit - RIP, came w/ 2.4 Ardents front & back.

They lasted around 2 rides. Then I went Conti MKII's front & back. The rear MKII was a little draggy & the front was a little drifty in the damp.

Then I tried Nobby Nics 2.35 & 2.25. Front was similar to the MKII & the rear started having flakey side knobs after 2 rides!?

Then I went Hans Dampf & Forekaster/Bontrager XR4 (front & rear).

Eventually the Bandit died...

The Hans Dampf is still going strong on my HT 29er. I sold the XR4. Gave away the Forekaster. Outback now, I'm running a Panaracer Rampage &/or Michelin Wild AM.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    My old Transition Bandit - RIP, came w/ 2.4 Ardents front & back.

They lasted around 2 rides. Then I went Conti MKII's front & back. The rear MKII was a little draggy & the front was a little drifty in the damp.

Then I tried Nobby Nics 2.35 & 2.25. Front was similar to the MKII & the rear started having flakey side knobs after 2 rides!?

Then I went Hans Dampf & Forekaster/Bontrager XR4 (front & rear).

Eventually the Bandit died...

The Hans Dampf is still going strong on my HT 29er. I sold the XR4. Gave away the Forekaster. Outback now, I'm running a Panaracer Rampage &/or Michelin Wild AM.

'Born to ride!'
    What happened to the Bandit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    For about a year I've been riding Minions 2.5 DHF & 2.4 DHR on i36 rims. They are awesome for rough chunky stuff and loose climbs. Now I've got some new i30 rims with grid Butcher 2.3 & Ground Control 2.3, and they are faster and more fun on most single track. The 2.3 Butcher is a very grippy tire. When I swap back to the bigger Minions, the drag and weight are noticeable.
    2016 Fuse Pro 29/6Fattie
    2017 Stumpjumper Comp 29/6Fattie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Hysteretic losses are what you want for grip. You should probably qualify your statement so it makes sense. Maybe you could post the tan δ curves for the the tread compounds of the tires you're comparing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I have an Ardent 2.4 on both my 5010 and Primer. I love it as a front tire and have had ZERO issues with it. It lasts forever in SoCal as well.
    can you compare the ardent to a dhf for socal? i love the dhf but wonder about a faster rolling tire, but also fear loosing the front end...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I put my Ardent back on while waiting to try out a Forekaster. It rolls so much faster than the minion and is way less work to pedal uphill. The ardent is definitely loser in the turns, but being familiar with it, it didnít bother me much switching back from the minion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    DHR 2.3 / DHF 2.3 = Awesome in the corners and fast.

mtbr member
    The 29 x 2.4 Vittoria Goma is a nice option to consider for front tire use. I have the lighter, folding, non-TNT version (Performance) on one of my bikes and it has been extremely durable in Tahoe. It rolls and corners well--and can be found on backcountry.com for $50. I am using the older version of the 29 x 2.35 eThirteen TRS as a front tire on my Canfield Riot, and it has been spectacular, but I suspect that you may find it slow rolling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

What did you replace your 2.4 Ardent front with?

Quote Originally Posted by mnpikey View Post
    DHR 2.3 / DHF 2.3 = Awesome in the corners and fast.
    Do you have the DHR in the front and the DHF in the back?
    I run 2.3 DHF front and 2.3 DHR II rear.
    Last edited by j102; 5 Days Ago at 03:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So I replaced my Ardent 2.4 with........... an Ardent 2.4. I tried a Minion 2.6, Ardent 2.4, and a Forekaster 2.6. Having ridden 1000s of miles with the Ardent up front, it just feels so right and rolls really fast. Putting a 2.6 tire up front removed some of the playfulness for me. Iím sticking with what works.