mtbr member
    Jul 2006

What did you replace your 2.4 Ardent front with?

Willing to give up a little weight/rolling resistance for cornering ability. I tried a 2.6 DHF, but that's way too slow for the bigger rides around here. Most of my riding is in CO.

mtbr member
    I am close to a 2.4 on the front of my hardtail since last season and really liking the change to wider meaty tires. I hear the murmurs that 2.6 is the balance point before crossing into too much tire for fast single track riding. The rumor is that above that, floatation\weight qualities override high speed handling.
    I am considering a new ride with 2.6 front and back (FSR). I ride primarily NW trails, but both sides of the mountains and the occasional trip to the rockies.
    I have been watching for comments regarding this issue and appreciate yours.

mtbr member
    Generally speaking, a slow rolling front tire doesn't have the impact that a slow rolling rear tire does. Maybe go to a 2.4" DHF up front. The Ardent is not known for its good cornering ability.
    I'm running 2.6" Nobby Nics front and back and have no issues in Utah, but there are people who are unhappy with what they consider their lack of durability. I'm up to about 200 miles on a pair, with 120 or so in Moab with no damage or noticeable wear so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Generally speaking, a slow rolling front tire doesn't have the impact that a slow rolling rear tire does. Maybe go to a 2.4" DHF up front. The Ardent is not known for its good cornering ability.
    It may be more noticeable on the rear, but when I switched from the 2.4 Ardent to a 2.6 DHF up front, I was a minute slower on an 18 minute climb I'm very familiar with. I could feel the extra effort the whole way up.

I've been running a 2.4 Ardent since they came out, so I don't really have any real issues with their handling. I'm simply looking to gain some grip, by trying something new.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How about a Rekon 2.6 3c Maxx Terra? Better than any Ardent and WAY faster than a DHF.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    How about a Rekon 2.6 3c Maxx Terra? Better than any Ardent and WAY faster than a DHF.
    I made this exact switch - Ardent 2.4 (which I hated in front) to that Rekon 2.6, and LOVE it as my front trail bike tire. I had also tried the Rekon in back on my SS, but it was way too draggy for a rear tire, IMO. Also, because I didn't want to toss out a new Ardent, I threw it on the back of my SS and now have it on my trail bike, paired with the Rekon front, and I have found it to be a great, durable, well-rolling rear tire.
    Ride more; post less...

Barely in control
    The only wrong with the DHF is that it uses a stone-age rubber compound with massive hysteresis losses.

Replace it with something that has some engineering - Vittoria Morsa G+, Conti Der Baron black chili, Specialized Butcher Gripton, etc....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    The only wrong with the DHF is that it uses a stone-age rubber compound with massive hysteresis losses.

Replace it with something that has some engineering - Vittoria Morsa G+, Conti Der Baron black chili, Specialized Butcher Gripton, etc....
    You and Lane sure like to slam Maxxis tires. I wonder if all the guys standing on the top of the podiums in every racing discipline know they're riding on such crappy, low-engineered, slow, blah, blah tires? Surely they're not getting paid enough by Maxxis to make up for such a disadvantage, huh?
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thinking about a 2.6 Forekaster. And then maybe a Minion SS or Rekon on the rear. Or maybe move the Ardent to the rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Would a 2.6 Rekon work on a 25mm ID wheel?

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring

mtbr member
    I have an Ardent 2.4 on both my 5010 and Primer. I love it as a front tire and have had ZERO issues with it. It lasts forever in SoCal as well. I just returned from 4 days in Sedona on a 6 month old Ardent 2.4 that I thought about replacing but it just won't wear out. It performed in stellar fashion all over Sedona, an area where most people prefer much beefier tires.

I tried a 2.6 Butcher on my Pivot 5.5 (it had a 2,6 Nobby Nic on the back) and like you, it was a drag on climbs. I will have to say that I never did find the Butchers limits. It was one rad tire and pretty decent weight for a 2.6 IMO. The 2.6 Rekon is either loved or hated. Numerous people on the Pivot board complained about it's lack of grip (it came stock on the rear on the 5.5) but others raved about it. As mentioned above, waltaz loves it as a front on his Primer. I may give it a try in a year or two when my Ardent 2.4 wears out (I already have a new one waiting to go on so the Rekon experiment will have to wait a while).
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    My old Transition Bandit - RIP, came w/ 2.4 Ardents front & back.

They lasted around 2 rides. Then I went Conti MKII's front & back. The rear MKII was a little draggy & the front was a little drifty in the damp.

Then I tried Nobby Nics 2.35 & 2.25. Front was similar to the MKII & the rear started having flakey side knobs after 2 rides!?

Then I went Hans Dampf & Forekaster/Bontrager XR4 (front & rear).

Eventually the Bandit died...

The Hans Dampf is still going strong on my HT 29er. I sold the XR4. Gave away the Forekaster. Outback now, I'm running a Panaracer Rampage &/or Michelin Wild AM.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    My old Transition Bandit - RIP, came w/ 2.4 Ardents front & back.

They lasted around 2 rides. Then I went Conti MKII's front & back. The rear MKII was a little draggy & the front was a little drifty in the damp.

Then I tried Nobby Nics 2.35 & 2.25. Front was similar to the MKII & the rear started having flakey side knobs after 2 rides!?

Then I went Hans Dampf & Forekaster/Bontrager XR4 (front & rear).

Eventually the Bandit died...

The Hans Dampf is still going strong on my HT 29er. I sold the XR4. Gave away the Forekaster. Outback now, I'm running a Panaracer Rampage &/or Michelin Wild AM.

'Born to ride!'
    What happened to the Bandit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    For about a year I've been riding Minions 2.5 DHF & 2.4 DHR on i36 rims. They are awesome for rough chunky stuff and loose climbs. Now I've got some new i30 rims with grid Butcher 2.3 & Ground Control 2.3, and they are faster and more fun on most single track. The 2.3 Butcher is a very grippy tire. When I swap back to the bigger Minions, the drag and weight are noticeable.
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Hysteretic losses are what you want for grip. You should probably qualify your statement so it makes sense. Maybe you could post the tan δ curves for the the tread compounds of the tires you're comparing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I have an Ardent 2.4 on both my 5010 and Primer. I love it as a front tire and have had ZERO issues with it. It lasts forever in SoCal as well.
    can you compare the ardent to a dhf for socal? i love the dhf but wonder about a faster rolling tire, but also fear loosing the front end...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I put my Ardent back on while waiting to try out a Forekaster. It rolls so much faster than the minion and is way less work to pedal uphill. The ardent is definitely loser in the turns, but being familiar with it, it didnít bother me much switching back from the minion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    DHR 2.3 / DHF 2.3 = Awesome in the corners and fast.

mtbr member
    The 29 x 2.4 Vittoria Goma is a nice option to consider for front tire use. I have the lighter, folding, non-TNT version (Performance) on one of my bikes and it has been extremely durable in Tahoe. It rolls and corners well--and can be found on backcountry.com for $50. I am using the older version of the 29 x 2.35 eThirteen TRS as a front tire on my Canfield Riot, and it has been spectacular, but I suspect that you may find it slow rolling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Quote Originally Posted by mnpikey View Post
    DHR 2.3 / DHF 2.3 = Awesome in the corners and fast.
    Do you have the DHR in the front and the DHF in the back?
    I run 2.3 DHF front and 2.3 DHR II rear.
    Last edited by j102; 05-20-2018 at 03:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So I replaced my Ardent 2.4 with........... an Ardent 2.4. I tried a Minion 2.6, Ardent 2.4, and a Forekaster 2.6. Having ridden 1000s of miles with the Ardent up front, it just feels so right and rolls really fast. Putting a 2.6 tire up front removed some of the playfulness for me. Iím sticking with what works.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm in the same boat as others here. I have a 2.5 dhf/2.4 dhr2 combo that works well for grip in PNW spring and fall but it's draggy in the summer Hardpack and dust. Anyone settle on an ideal summer Hardpack combo that really excels? I was thinking maybe a 2.6 rekon front and something a little faster on back like an Ikon (I don't recall their size for 29er off hand). Any recommendation? (I don't ride ultra hard but would like a a faster tire that still grips in the corners with ball bearings)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Any other suggestions out there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Have you considered a Minion DHF 2.3 or similar 2.3 or 2.4 tire? After all, you are replacing a 2.4 size tire.
    Last edited by j102; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Nobby Nic 2.35 or 2.6, rolls great and grips way way better than an ardent and no stupid vague zone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    Have you considered a Minion DHF 2.3...
    That's what I did, and it worked well, along with an Aggressor in the back. The combo doesn't roll as well as the original Ardents, but is more stable when turning.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ScaldedDogCO; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:53 AM.
    2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    Have you considered a Minion DHF 2.3 or similar 2.3 or 2.4 tire? After all, you are replacing a 2.4 size tire.
    I might go with this. I was hoping to find something in between the Ardent and Minion. I wish the Forekaster came in a 2.4. Maybe a Rekon 2.4?

I'm also running Flow MK3s and thought the 2.3 might be a little too narrow.

mtbr member
    What about an Ardent Race? It has a little extra tread so you may find some more predictable grip out of it? I went from an Ardent 2.4 to a NN 2.6 and then to a 2.4 Conti Der Baron on the front my trail bike. The Der Baron has been my favorite so far and will likely stick with it whenever it decides to die or wear out. However, you seem pretty partial to Maxxis.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SPECIALizED
    Maybe a Rekon 2.4?
    The Rekon 2.4 is hands down one of the best all around tires I have ever used.

rth009
    May 2010
    Longtime front Ardent 2.4 user here, but I got a Hans Dampf 2.35 on the front of my trailbike now and I like it alot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Longtime front Ardent 2.4 user here, but I got a Hans Dampf 2.35 on the front of my trailbike now and I like it alot.
    Which compound?

rth009
    May 2010
    Its one of the old ones, not one of the Schwalbe's revamped, color-coded compounds. I dont have it here with me to confirm , but the email receipt identifies it as "2016 Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo SnakeSkin TrailStar TSC 29 X 2.35".

Ive been running it all summer and it is holding up very well. I did have a 2.35 Nobby NIc on the back, but I replaced that with a Maxxss Aggressor 29 x 2.3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Its one of the old ones, not one of the Schwalbe's revamped, color-coded compounds. I dont have it here with me to confirm , but the email receipt identifies it as "2016 Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo SnakeSkin TrailStar TSC 29 X 2.35".

Ive been running it all summer and it is holding up very well. I did have a 2.35 Nobby NIc on the back, but I replaced that with a Maxxss Aggressor 29 x 2.3.
    Ok, I'm giving a Hans Dampf SnakeSkin Addix Soft 2.35 a try. From trying different tires, I now I have a 2.4 Ardent, 2.25 Ardent, or 2.35 Aggressor that I can try on the rear.

mtbr member
    Ok, I'm giving a Hans Dampf SnakeSkin Addix Soft 2.35 a try. From trying different tires, I now I have a 2.4 Ardent, 2.25 Ardent, or 2.35 Aggressor that I can try on the rear.
    Would you please post the weight of the Hans Dampf, thanks. Their actual vs quotes weights seem to vary...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSed View Post
    The Rekon 2.4 is hands down one of the best all around tires I have ever used.
    It's be awesome if you could compare to other tyres you've used and liked, and what type of terrain & soil. thanks!

Moodle
    Jul 2018
    HD 2.35 going to replace a Rock razor as a rear tire for wet season in Austria- 847g.

SPECIALizED
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    It's be awesome if you could compare to other tyres you've used and liked, and what type of terrain & soil. thanks!
    I've been running Maxxis tires for several years. Ardents, Ikons, Minions (SS, DHF, DHR II) and Forekasters. I know it's a big variety but my ride preferences change from time to time. Right now I'm enjoying bigger rides with lots of climbing.
    As far as terrain goes I ride mostly loose over hardpack trails with the occasional chunk thrown in here in SoCal. For me the Rekon is pretty much a combination of all the good traits of the tires I mentioned. They roll well. They stick in the corners. Great climbing traction. They wear like iron. For some they may weigh a tad too much in the 2.4 width but it's not a race tire.
    When I wear them out I'll be replacing them with the same tire. That's huge for me as my garage wall looks like a used MTB tire shop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Pretty much anything is better than an Ardent on the front. The tiny useless center knobs with no intermediates basically make it worse than a semi-slick, IMO.

Lack of intermediate knobs is why I dislike the DHF and DHR2, as well.

I'm not much for Maxxis, in general- never liked the performance of their tires that much, other than the fact that they are pretty much the best in the industry as far as durability goes. Their light 800g tires are still quite sturdy, and their 1200g full-on downhill tires are absolutely bombproof.

The latter also changed my mind about their grip...I switched to an Assegai on the front of my enduro bike, and that thing is ABSURD. Big ol' squishy knobs with perfect spacing...grip for days on that thing.

My trail bike has a Hans Dampf in Addix soft, which is like a baby brother to the Assegai. Still a soft compound, still has nice evenly-spaced lugs with no bald intermediate zone. Just on a waaaay smaller scale. Great tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by phuchmileif View Post
    Pretty much anything is better than an Ardent on the front. The tiny useless center knobs with no intermediates basically make it worse than a semi-slick, IMO.

Lack of intermediate knobs is why I dislike the DHF and DHR2, as well.

I'm not much for Maxxis, in general- never liked the performance of their tires that much, other than the fact that they are pretty much the best in the industry as far as durability goes. Their light 800g tires are still quite sturdy, and their 1200g full-on downhill tires are absolutely bombproof.

The latter also changed my mind about their grip...I switched to an Assegai on the front of my enduro bike, and that thing is ABSURD. Big ol' squishy knobs with perfect spacing...grip for days on that thing.

My trail bike has a Hans Dampf in Addix soft, which is like a baby brother to the Assegai. Still a soft compound, still has nice evenly-spaced lugs with no bald intermediate zone. Just on a waaaay smaller scale. Great tire.
    I think the real issue with the Ardent is that the side knobs cave with no warning when pushed hard. The DHFís side knobs offer fantastic support, but even though people say that tire rolls well and it doesnít matter as much up front, I notice a huge difference between a 2.6 DHF and 2.4 Ardent - the Ardent is so much more playful and rolls much faster. Iím sure the Assegai has amazing traction, but itís way too heaving for any extended trail riding.

Iíve ordered the newest Hans Dampf which is supposed to have more side knob support than the old one. If that doesnít work, Iíll check out the Rekon 2.4.

mtbr member
    Iím also interested in the Rekon. Are you running the 2.4 front and rear ? Have you tried the 2.6 ?

SPECIALizED
    Quote Originally Posted by ridetheridge View Post
    Iím also interested in the Rekon. Are you running the 2.4 front and rear ? Have you tried the 2.6 ?
    I'm running the 2.4 front and rear. I had a 2.6 up front but removed it after a 50 mile fast paced ride. Way too much drag. It works as well as the 2.4 though with a little more traction. I'll put it back on when my ride distances decrease this winter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Two new tires this weekend. yesterday I put on a Minion DHF 2.5 for the rear. Today I am putting on the front a Continental Der Baron 2.4.

Ardents are ok, used them n the past and have them on my hard tail still, but preferred High Roller II over Ardents. Setup above is replacing High Roller II. Trails here have been too wet and are now entering their normal wet season, and High Rollers jjust donít cut it in wet conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I kept the Ardent 2.4 Dual Exo in the rear of my Hardtail and run a High Roller II 3C 2.4 in the front

good improvement in steering.

Saw some other folks talking about this combo online (can't remember if it was on here) and have been happy with it and generally recommend this to others...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Two new tires this weekend. yesterday I put on a Minion DHF 2.5 for the rear. Today I am putting on the front a Continental Der Baron 2.4.

Ardents are ok, used them n the past and have them on my hard tail still, but preferred High Roller II over Ardents. Setup above is replacing High Roller II. Trails here have been too wet and are now entering their normal wet season, and High Rollers jjust donít cut it in wet conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Gonna look a little funny. The Minions tend to not have huge casings, so they can seem a bit wimpy at first, but they should be a legit 2.5 in tread width. OTOH, I put a 29x2.4 Der Baron on my hardtail, and it looks skinny even in comparison to that bike's 2.4 Ardent rear.

Also, good luck if it's tubeless! Said HT has got a pair of wheels that I have established to be just a tiny bit undersize...and the Der Baron seems WAY oversize. Bad match. I've injected a couple ounces of sealant on multiple occasions, and it still gets tiny bead leaks that lose all the air in a matter of days.

This as opposed to my newest bike's rims (RF Arc) and rubber (Maxxis and Schwalbe), which are an obscenely perfect combo with just two ounces of Stan's in each. They lose less air than a new, quality tube. Shame the bike industry can't be that consistent...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phuchmileif View Post
    Gonna look a little funny. The Minions tend to not have huge casings, so they can seem a bit wimpy at first, but they should be a legit 2.5 in tread width. OTOH, I put a 29x2.4 Der Baron on my hardtail, and it looks skinny even in comparison to that bike's 2.4 Ardent rear.

Also, good luck if it's tubeless! Said HT has got a pair of wheels that I have established to be just a tiny bit undersize...and the Der Baron seems WAY oversize. Bad match. I've injected a couple ounces of sealant on multiple occasions, and it still gets tiny bead leaks that lose all the air in a matter of days.

This as opposed to my newest bike's rims (RF Arc) and rubber (Maxxis and Schwalbe), which are an obscenely perfect combo with just two ounces of Stan's in each. They lose less air than a new, quality tube. Shame the bike industry can't be that consistent...
    I would have gone2.5 in front too but fork claims limit is 2.4

Both tires tubeless and Baron is the tire from hell. one hour and still not on. I will never buy this tire again. bought for raves on wet roots. but I think only one person in the world, Pinkbike reviewer, has mounted and ridden this tire tubeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I pretty much gave up on riding Contis half because they weren't as easy as Maxxis tires to set up tubeless (the other half for lack of bead durability)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by beerfriday View Post
    I pretty much gave up on riding Contis half because they weren't as easy as Maxxis tires to set up tubeless (the other half for lack of bead durability)
    Got some help and still could not get it on. For as awful as they are to get on, they should not leak, so that's disappointing to hear.

I'LL try again this week, and return to Jensonusa if it doesn't work out.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It looks like 2.5 will fit on Pike, not sure where I got 2.4 max from? So will likely exchange der Bastard for a Minion Dhf.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    Would you please post the weight of the Hans Dampf, thanks. Their actual vs quotes weights seem to vary...
    2.35 Addix soft Snakeskin is ~790g. First ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Im using an older hans dampf pacestar... So the harder compound. It's an amazing tire until late into the end of California summer when the dirt is loose and bone dry. Any bit of moisture in the dirt, and it's an incredible tire.

I run an ardent out back and like it quite a bit, but I can't imagine using it up front. I'd imagine basically any trail tire would be better up front.
    WTB: Small aluminum hardtail 26 or 27.5 frame. Pm me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Im using an older hans dampf pacestar... So the harder compound. It's an amazing tire until late into the end of California summer when the dirt is loose and bone dry. Any bit of moisture in the dirt, and it's an incredible tire.

I run an ardent out back and like it quite a bit, but I can't imagine using it up front. I'd imagine basically any trail tire would be better up front.
    What would you run for bone dry conditions?

Is dang happy!
    The Chunky Monkey from On-One is a much better front tire than the Ardent and uses the same 2.4" Maxxis cassing. I have a 2.5 and 3.0 DHF on the front of my trail bikes now but used the venerable CM for years and think it rolls a bit faster than the Minions. Still avalable for $25 shipped from randombikeparts.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    For real, $25? I am going to take a chance on that.

Is dang happy!
    It is the grippiest and best cornering 2.4 I have used. Predictable and sets up well tubeless on Stans and my other tubless ready rims.

Minions may have a bit better braking capabilities with the taller center lugs but weigh more and roll a bit slower.

To me the CM and Minion corner about the same with the beefy well supported side lugs and leave the Ardent in the dust in that department. Designed by MTBR'S tire guru Shiggy a while back it set the bar for trail tires IMO.

You can get a Pair of Chunky Monkeys from Planet X in the softer Trail-Extreme 50/42A dual compound for $55 shipped.
    I found the Chunky Monkey 50A single compound was relativly soft compared to most tires on the market and use both versions front and rear, the softer compound is probably better on wet roots but both hook up well on loose over hardpack and in the loam.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot