mtbr member

What is best for XC/Marathon: Michelin Comp S Light or Hutch. Python Air light?

I'm gearing myself up for Iron Biker 2004 in Brazil, (23-26 September). Two day event. 1st day: 74 km, second day 60 km. Lots of steep climbs, fire roads and single track.

In my old Cannondale F300, I used two Hutchinson Scorpios and was quite happy with the tire, especially front cornering grip and mud clearance.

In my new bike - a Santa Cruz superlight, I have a hutchinson mosquito on the back and a pyton in the front. I really didn't get on very well with pythons in the front - their cornering sucks - slips all the time, and the mosquito wore down too quickly in the back (should have had it in the front instead).

It was recomended to me to put the pythons in the back (which are supposed to have pretty good traction uphill), and for the front tire, either a Python Air Light a Michelin Comp S light.

Its predicted that it WON'T rain in the event... roads will probably be mainly loose, very dry dirt and some singletrack - very tough event, but not so technical - more of an endurance/physical resistance type event.

So, which one is best? Here in Brazil its hard to get Kenda's and suchlike - easier to get the entire Hutchinson line, or the Michelins. Please help!

Btw, I weigh 79 kg.
    Last edited by IronBiker; 09-03-2004 at 08:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How about Mosquito front/Python rear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    How about Mosquito front/Python rear?
    Well, whole problem is my Mosquito got ripped due to being so spent... time to get a new tire.

mtbr member
    Almost forgot... I read somewhere that if you mount the Hutchinson Python in reverse direction on your front wheel, it becomes a much better tire for griping in turns, etc. Either way, I would still like to hear from you guys how the Michelin Comp S light compares to the Python as a front tire.

Let's have a beer or 10.
    I run a python in reverse direction in front. It is doing ok. Actually performs better than what I expected but high-speed cornering in soft/wet forest soil is not ideal. Have you checked if you can get the new 2005 version of the python? Supposed that they have increased the cornering capability and also introduced a 2.3 version. There supposedly readily available in Europe. If you understand french, search the forums there (http://www.velovert.com/forum/). I've done two marathon this year on the pythons (airlight version mounted tubeless on XM919) and I am satisfied.