mtbr member
    Nov 2010

We've been on the wrong track for some time.. (P35 wide rim content)

Just an FYI post really as I didn't find a lot on these rime here when researching my recent bike build.

I was told about the advantages of a wide rim - the Velocity P35- for my new 29er, a Jones. Since so many other things on this bike are different and Jeff Jones does things for good reason I thought, why not. I'm glad I listened to him.

I'm really, really impressed. I won't comment on the super-stiff feeling wheels as the 135mm wide front and SS hope dishless rear is the main factor there, but what I am impressed with is the smooth rolling, super-comfy feel of being able to use such low pressures in tubeless tyres and yet feel no side-squirm when cornering as hard as this bike allows. I'm 6' and 175lbs so I'm not that light and I'm not super-smooth either, I ride a rigid bike in a rooty but not very rocky area. My track-pump reads 18psi yet they feel firm but comfy and grippy.

600g rim weight was on my mind when I went for them, they felt heavy when I collected them, on the bike I don't notice it. Lighter is nicer but wider is better. I've been as picky as anyone when it comes to rim / wheel weight as it's a 'quick-notice' thing on a new bike, but a wide rim supporting a 2.3-2.4 at lower pressures is a more important upgrade off-road - stuff any weight penalty.. Like having heavier but in many ways quicker 29" wheels, they don't need so much acceleration and deceleration so once going, you're going well. If you carry speed easier, roll easier and corner faster, do you need to worry about acceleration as much? I'd say no.
    With wider tyres being more popular now I'm really questioning these commonly-used 17-19mm inner width rims. Flows should be about the minimum.. 25-28mm inner is better.

The P35s also convert to tubeless really well - a layer of std rim tape, 3 layers of electrical tape to seal the edges did the job. An EXO Ardent 2.4 went up easily with a track pump and latex/water solution, a UST Ardent 2.25 on the back went up dry with a track pump. Easy fitting, not too tight, seals easy.

Anyone with carbon 40mm+ 29" UST-ready rims could get from me now!

And I know, 'try a fat bike'.. I want to, but just for fun, like a 24" BMX is fun : )

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    interesting.. I just ordered the Blunt SLs, a little narrower. I also have standard blunts on some wheels and yes, wider is better. I'm curious, why the layers of electrical tape? I thought just the standard stans tape/velotape would work (according to the Velocity website). Were the p35s not designed for tubeless? Thanks for the post.

Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi Chris - electrical tape because I'm a DIY-type and too cheap to buy proper rim-strips! (edited to clarify, i didn't use a velocity ust strip to start, just std rim tape that you'd use on any rim). I've converted Stans, std Mavics and now the P35s to use tubeless-ready or UST tyres with this method so I didn't see a need for pricey strips. I've heard the strips work fine, I've just not needed them. All you're trying to do is take up a bit of the rim bed depth to allow a closer tyre fit and seal the holes in the rim.

I use one or two layers of strong plastic rim tape (Conti is good) to fill the centre, on the P35 I overlapped it sideways to fill the width. I then wrap between 2 and 5 layers of std electrical insulating tape round the rim to seal it, making sure it goes right to the edge evenly. It works fine, I can adjust the depth to teh fit of the tyre to make sure they always seal + seat easily too. A 25% water / 75% artshop latex mix seals thorn holes well and is also cheap in volume. I used to spend too much time swapping tyres and wheels when I worked for a bike company to spend a lot on tubeless accessories so I used this DIY method instead.

The P35 is designed for tubeless, the bead lock works well and the UST Ardent sealed as well as any combo of DT or Shimano UST rim and UST tyre I've had.

mtbr member
    Agreed. I'm ride a FS 26" tubed bike. I'm never going to go narrower than 36mm rims again. This is purely because I like tires in the 2.2-2.35 range and like a more stable tire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi James and thanks for the tips. I'm still a bit confused though (in the manner of someone who's just read about things and doesn't have the goods in front of him). According to the Velocity website and their velotape installation instructions, all one would need is the velotape and a proper valve - there is no mention of rim strips or building up volume.

Velocity - Content Template

My understanding is that only conventional rims (not ust or tubeless ready) needed this build-up treatment as the channel was deeper (or something like that).

Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cjcrawford View Post
    Hi James and thanks for the tips. I'm still a bit confused though (in the manner of someone who's just read about things and doesn't have the goods in front of him). According to the Velocity website and their velotape installation instructions, all one would need is the velotape and a proper valve - there is no mention of rim strips or building up volume.

Velocity - Content Template

My understanding is that only conventional rims (not ust or tubeless ready) needed this build-up treatment as the channel was deeper (or something like that).

Thanks,
    Chris
    Velocity makes and sells the tubeless system for the P35. From what I've read, it's just tape and valve. I think--though I could be wrong--that james-o could have gotten by without strips or building up the channel. But if it works, then away he goes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I use P35's on one of my 650B bikes. Great rim I use DT Rev spokes to get back a bit of weight. I use one layer of Stans Tape ok.
    I'm just waiting for spokes to make up 26" rear wheel to use some of the collection of skinny under volume tires I've accumulated over the years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    TBH I wasn't sure how thick the Volocity tape is, so I just did what I saw fit to seal them up on the cheap.. There's not the depth built up that I needed to do on a XM717, about the same as I used on my Stan's. And an old valve cut out of a tube screwed down tight. Anyway, not to start a tubeless bodger's thread : ) but just to say that these rims are one of the better things I've tried recently.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Kirk's got a new lighter wide rim coming out soon too.

Pacenti tl28 rim - a set on Flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I like that.. If they sell well I hope they make a 35mm version.

James-o, how have the P35's been thus far in the back? I've got P35's up front on my Jones, but running only a 24mm out back. I've got a P35 but wondering if I should go a little lighter (Arch or Flow Ex), as I'm singlespeed. I figure any weight loss would be better to get me up some of those hills. Thanks for any input.