mtbr member
    May 2008

Weirwolf 2.1 vs Motoraptor 2.14 in front

I am using a Mutanoraptor 2.14 as a front tire. Great tire, but difficult to find. I am willing to give up some rolling efficiency for more braking bite and grip. I ride in dry conditions only and this is for my XC style everyday bike.

My choices are Weirwolf 2.1 and Motoraptor 2.14, with Motoraptor 2.24 as a longshot choice (bit heavy). I would like to keep the discussion to these tires. I am having trouble deciding because although the Motoraptor is already my rear tire that is no guarantee I will like it in front, and the Weirwolf is brand new to me. On a sidenote I am also wondering if the Weirwolf 2.1 race weighs anything close to the listed sub-600g.

Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Wierwolf's are squirmy on hardpack, good for sand/loose. Motos do well in ANY condition. Go with the wider moto in front and don't look back.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I used the a weirwolf 2.3 as a front tire for hardpack riding for a short time. I really didn't like it, ditto Gman086 comments on being squirmy.

I found that weirwolf model is best at soft and wet, don't bother if you will be on hardpack primarily.

I can't comment on the Motoraptor because I'm currently using a Mutano 2.4 as my front. Good luck with your decision.
    cannondale flash 29er
    rocky mountain etsx-30 (retired)
    trek madone