mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Weight of Hutch Scorpion 2.0 UST

Anyone know this? I"m lookin at them from my LBS and I can't find the weight for the 2.0. They also look bigger than a reg. 2.0 tire. Do they roll fast? Any good? Thanks!

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpelcannon
    Anyone know this? I"m lookin at them from my LBS and I can't find the weight for the 2.0. They also look bigger than a reg. 2.0 tire. Do they roll fast? Any good? Thanks!
    Shiggy has them listed at 726g/730g actual.

http://www.mtbtires.com/specs/hutchinson.html

I test rode them and thought they were pretty good. They had great traction and feel @ about 32psi and rolled well. I wish they were a bit wider but definitely decent for a 2.0. The 2.3 is too heavy for me (no 2.3 UST Lite version).

I still haven't found a decent volume lightweight UST with at least some knobs. I would really like a 750g real 2.25 or so with a decent tread pattern.
    Long Live Long Rides

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew

I test rode them and thought they were pretty good. They had great traction and feel @ about 32psi and rolled well. I wish they were a bit wider but definitely decent for a 2.0. The 2.3 is too heavy for me (no 2.3 UST Lite version).

I still haven't found a decent volume lightweight UST with at least some knobs. I would really like a 750g real 2.25 or so with a decent tread pattern.
    Have you tried the Hutchinson Spider UST 2.3? Knobby, around 750g.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

spotlust
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew

Also, I would highly recommend the tubeless Hutch Spider 2.1. Its 1lb 10oz, which I think is almost exactly 750g; wide for a 2.1, probably more like a 2.2; and I have found it to pedal very well, much better than similar size Contis; rails corners; and has shiteloads of traction on off camber stuff. It is not a great tire for mud and wet rock, but otherwise outstanding. Oh, and it mounts easily. Needs a little sealant though.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Second the spiders

I also recommend the Hutch Spiders 2.1 ust. As the prev post stated, they mount really easily to UST rims and seal up instantly. I use Stans goop for extra protection and have had zero leakage in almost 4 months. I was mounting up non-UST tires with Stans sealant before, but wow, using real UST tires is by far the way to go (if the weight is not an issue).

Hutchisons are great tires, wider than the specified width suggests, but they roll really well and the tread has great traction for climbing and speed turns. This seems counter intuitive, but Hutchinsons seem to ride the best at their rather low recommended air pressure of around 35-40psi.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]