mtbr member

WARNING! Jenson USA and Kenda Tire Defects

BAM! Jenson just refunded my money right now at 9:52pm CST. Must be up late figuring out what to do. Tire will promptly go in the trash, thanks for everyone's support.
    Last edited by C-Dale_Rider; 10-18-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Save Jesus
    They are right in that your tire is not designed to be run tubeless, much less use sealant. The fact that others have gotten it to work means nothing.

With that said, your tire has an obvious defect that has nothing to do with either sealant or tubeless. Don't mention these two words the next time you call them.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Definitely a warranty issue. But since it was setup tubeless, I believe your SOL.
    Keep in mind this isn't Jensons doing though. I know the LBS's around here have had angry customers for this same reason.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

I like bacon... (clyde)
    This is one of those things where they legally do not have to honor the warranty because a product warning has been violated. However, they still may honor the warranty if they WANT to help you out, or if you are able to deceive them. Kenda, that is. Clean the tire up real nice, then complain that you put in a new tube, aired it up to the recommended pressure and the tire just ripped.

--
    Sent from my DROID Incredible 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2
    Bike: '08 Trek 6500
    Color: Oreo
    Delicious...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderPride View Post
    This is one of those things where they legally do not have to honor the warranty because a product warning has been violated. However, they still may honor the warranty if they WANT to help you out, or if you are able to deceive them. Kenda, that is. Clean the tire up real nice, then complain that you put in a new tube, aired it up to the recommended pressure and the tire just ripped.
    I could have deceived Jenson but I'm too honest for that kind of stuff. I washed the sealant out and the tire looks good as new (sealant was only in it for 10 minutes). Interesting thing, if I hadn't had sealant and instead went old school and put a tube in it, would it have possibly failed while I was bombing down a trail? It's a good thing I was running sealant because it immediately warned me there was a problem by letting a little (audible) air out before resealing. A tube might have ballooned out and caused a catastrophic failure with no warning. I purchased some Vredestein Black Panther Xtreme tires to replace these crappy thin Kendas.
    My mainstay xc bike has WTB DNA tires on it and they've been on those rims for over 2 years with stans. Never had a flat in all that time.

Save Jesus
    You are not deceiving Jenson. You bought some tires, and they have a defect in the sidewall. Sealant and Tubeless have nothing to do with that.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dale_Rider View Post
    I could have deceived Jenson but I'm too honest for that kind of stuff. I washed the sealant out and the tire looks good as new (sealant was only in it for 10 minutes). Interesting thing, if I hadn't had sealant and instead went old school and put a tube in it, would it have possibly failed while I was bombing down a trail? It's a good thing I was running sealant because it immediately warned me there was a problem by letting a little (audible) air out before resealing. A tube might have ballooned out and caused a catastrophic failure with no warning. I purchased some Vredestein Black Panther Xtreme tires to replace these crappy thin Kendas.
    My mainstay xc bike has WTB DNA tires on it and they've been on those rims for over 2 years with stans. Never had a flat in all that time.
    That Kenda tire is unsafe. Looks like the casing was cut with a box knife.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    Definitely a warranty issue. But since it was setup tubeless, I believe your SOL.
    Keep in mind this isn't Jensons doing though. I know the LBS's around here have had angry customers for this same reason.
    I understand the warranty issues and whatnot but what I don't understand is a company not doing the right thing. If I purchased something from a retail store, say walmart, would I be SOL if I brought something defective back or would I have to go to the manufacturer? My point is this; what good is Jenson USA or any other reseller if all they do is collect your money? Why wouldn't I simply purchase goods directly from the manufacturer? I'll keep pressing Jenson to do their job and take responsibility for what they sell. If I sold someone a tire and it was defective I wouldn't CARE what the customer did with it, the defect is prevalent enough to justify a no-questions-asked refund/exchange.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    That Kenda tire is unsafe. Looks like the casing was cut with a box knife.
    Yeah it totally does. I opened the box with my fingernails so I know I didn't do it.

mtbr member
    This thread is closed due to Jenson refunding my money for the defective tire. If a mod sees this please delete thread!!
    Last edited by C-Dale_Rider; 10-18-2012 at 07:55 PM.