Give it a crank

Want to paint rims, looking for ideas

My old M565 rims look really boring and desperately need a custom paint job. I'd like to see photos of any painted rims before going at it for some ideas. Any tips also appreciated.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider
    My old M565 rims look really boring and desperately need a custom paint job. I'd like to see photos of any painted rims before going at it for some ideas. Any tips also appreciated.
    Best done before the wheels are laced. Tough to do it well otherwise.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Painting rims approach

You've got to "think between the spokes." A camo pattern can work really well and it won't matter if you paint the entire rim. Likewise, just about any pattern you can work around the spoke holes you can do. If you're looking to paint a solid color, then you need to disassemble the wheels to get it to look continuous and good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4slomo
    You've got to "think between the spokes." A camo pattern can work really well and it won't matter if you paint the entire rim. Likewise, just about any pattern you can work around the spoke holes you can do. If you're looking to paint a solid color, then you need to disassemble the wheels to get it to look continuous and good.
    Yup, and you do not need to use paint. Go to your local sign shop and see if you can get adhesive vinyl scraps. You can do some interesting patterns.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Just get the rims powdercoated then rebuild them back up. It will give you a chance to clean everything and when you are done it will look and feel like a brand new wheelset. Powdercoat is be stronger than paint and vinyl and is lighter and more environmentally friendly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS
    Just get the rims powdercoated then rebuild them back up. It will give you a chance to clean everything and when you are done it will look and feel like a brand new wheelset. Powdercoat is be stronger than paint and vinyl and is lighter and more environmentally friendly as well.
    I would never tear down a used wheelset just to refinish the rims.

Scrap vinyl is very environmentally friendly as it was going into the trash anyway. Not heavier than powder coat either (powder coating a rim can add 30-60g).
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Yeah one up for powder. If you want to paint them you need to to it properly or it will flake. You will need to skuff the wheels very good with some 600 grit wet dry sand paper. Then clean good with silicone remover I would cover with an adhesive promoter such as bulldog. If you have any metal exposed you will need to use a self etching primer sherwin williams 988 etching primer is a good one. If you use the primer you dont need the bulldog. after you prime the wheel let it dry for about 30 min and sand with the 600 wet dry paper till its smooth reprime if neededand using the silicone remover between coats. You will also need to get a few tac rags to remove the dust between coats. Oh yeah dont put the primer on heavy unless you want to wait a few hrs to sand or you are using a heat gun to speed up the drying. If you do put the primer on to heavy and you go to sand it it will pull the primer and make a mess. After the primer you are ready for your color remember b4 you apply the color use the silicone remover to clean then the tac rag to get rid of the dust. I like SEM Paints 15013 Color Coat they come in small cans but when you put the color on make sure you don't put it on to fast just be patient put on a coat let dry for 30 min to be safe than tac again than coat till you are finished. Good luck if you have any questions let me know I am auto body guy. One more thing you should be able to get all of the supplies for around 20 or 25 bucks. Don't get paint from your grocery store.

mtbr member
    I guess it depends on the amount of vinyl we're talking about. I'm not sure if the OP is considered about weight or not, but if he's looking for a good looking finish that will withstand the abuse I'm suggesting powdercoat to him. Powdercoat can come in any color possible, but also can come in many different textures. I prefer powdercoat on my bike and parts because of the price, durability, look and options, as compared to paint. And personally I feel that sticking vinyl scraps all over my wheels to cover up whatever was there before would look pretty jank. And with camo being the only real "design" to make in my opinion it just wouldn't be worth the time

Give it a crank
    I did leave the OP kind of open which was good, I hadn't considered the stick-on vinyl, that could work out perfectly. The idea is to give the rims some life with flashy colors/pattern with minimal effort, I'm not too concerned about precision or weight on these. They also have the v-brake contact area available for additional creativity yet. Any photos of those vinyl-on-rim jobs would be great to see. Not sure what sort of colors or pattern I'd like yet.

mtbr member
    people are covering whole cars in vinyl