mtbr member

Want to match a Minion DHF 2.3 front

I love the Minion, but I really I want something faster for the trail on the back rather than another Minion. Bike is a fairly light trail bike running the 700 gram Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 Front Folding tire.

Parameters required:

-Dry and rocky conditions, no wet, some road, climbing and descending
    -Sub 750 grams
    -Fairly strong sidewall protection and tubeless compatible
    -Very similar actual width, height and shape to Minion DHF

Thinking about Ardent but worried about sizing (too big), think as the Minion is very narrow in sizing it would match up well with a true 2.2-2.25 tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have a minion 2.35 and 2.5 single ply. I have wierwolves and a panaracer cedric xc tire. I have velociraptors and mx prowlers and have tryed all kindsbof combos.

The dhf single measures really small. On my i23 rims the measure actual 2.15 with a caliper widest knobbto widest knob. My suggestion is a 2.1 that runs true to.size. my cedric xc tire is wwesome onthe back with the weirwolf or minion upfront. It really speeds things up and climbs well and drifts whenbit should. Any aggresive xc 2.1 is gonna fit the bill. Being xc it will be fast and choose somthin onvthe aggresive side so it not too loose with the dhf upfront. Ignitor, advantage, ardent, ridgeline, fire xc, cedric xc. Etc etc. My research shows any of those. Should comp my cedric. Im lookin atbthe advatage as its supposed to be good for loose cover brakes well, aggresive sides, and fast ramped centerst

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Stay away from high thread race casings like 120tpi,120 thread perinch. You want the stronger 60tpi casing thicker thread stronger for tears.

I read advantage run big and ignitors small. Havnt seen them in person so.sorry i couldnt help there. My cedric is rite at 2.1.

Edit: i just read the ardent 2.25 casing is large and shows slightly larger than the. 2.35 minion
    Last edited by akiracornell; 05-11-2013 at 12:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just came across a pic on google images of an ardent 2.25 with a caliper on it. 2.12 wide at the casing. Caption claims the casin wider than knobs. Went out and measured my dhf casing and knobs. Equals 2.06 casing and 2.16 @ wide knobs .hope that helps

mtbr member
    Nice, will get myself some calipers too.
    Makes sense, so I'm thinking front: Maxxis Minion folding single-ply exo 2.35, rear Maxxis Ardent exo 2.25.

Thing is I'm worried about running a higher rounded profile on the rear which might give me weird handling on hardpack and the road meaning a worn Minion might be better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    go to maxxis website and look up a tyre; then the specifications tab ; next to the sizing is etrto. Thats the metric version which seems more acurate. The first smaller number i believe is casing size. For instance dhf 2.35 is 52mm. The ardent 2.25 is 54/56mm. The advantage 2.1 and the ignitor 2.35 are both 52mm just like the dhf. You could go with either to match casing profiles. They unfortunatly don't make a 2.1 ardent. Just remember to get the 60tpI not the eXCeption or 120tpi race casings.loO
    Last edited by akiracornell; 05-12-2013 at 01:55 AM.