mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Want to go tubeless on DT EX500

Anyone who has gone this route, what is the best path?

DT conversion kit?
    Stan's (Help Center says Standard)?
    Other?

Tubeless Ready tires or UST? Does it matter?
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

Former Bike Wrench
    I've ran DT X 470 and M 520 rims (both 29er) tubeless with just tape and valves. They worked pretty well with Tubeless Ready tires, only had some burping issues when I went below ~25 psi. As long as I kept the tires above 28 psi they did fine and mounted easily with a compressor.

I would recommend UST or Tubeless Ready, both have beads designed to stand up to tubeless use so there is less chance of a blowout or burping. Since you'll be using sealant with pretty much any system, you can shave a little weight with the tubeless ready tires.

mtbr member
    I went with this and Maxxis UST tires.
    No problems after one year of use, at 26-28PSI pressure.

My LBS recommended that I didn't use the DT conversion kit, claiming they had problems with most applications. Zero problems with Joe's so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I did a Gorilla tape ghetto tubeless on my Slayer because I had a huge roll in my drawer. I have the DT kit in my other wheelset and its working fine but I don't see any advantages of it over the Gorilla tape especially in light of the $45/wheel cost. Both conversions were done using standard non UST tires. 3 were inflated with a floor pump and the floppy one (Ardent 2.4 EXO) with the compressor at a gas station.

MarkyMark
    I went Stan's with Maxxis High Rollers (non-UST). Zero problems after 6+ months.