mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Are Vuelta wheels any good?

Im looking at the zero lites, i want to know what you guys thought about them, i wont be doing anything to extreme with them.
    Thanks

Former Bike Wrench
    They probably have a bit a of down reputation solely from the association with Bikes Direct which is dumb. Hubs are Formula made of various quality from heavy but durable cup and cone models to light cartridge bearing models. Rims are pretty standard and they often use bladed spokes which is useless on MTB wheels but doesn't really hurt anything. The Zerolites tend to use paired spokes which I'm less than a fan of after many years of doing repairs and warranties on Rolf and Bontrager wheels from Trek. I think you're better off with some of their other standard laced wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ok, thanks for the info.

So are they going to be lighter than, say my factory specialized hardrock wheels?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin67 View Post
    Ok, thanks for the info.

So are they going to be lighter than, say my factory specialized hardrock wheels?
    Most of the Zero Lite wheels are not all that light, contrary to what their name implies.

mtbr member
    The zero lites are just bad.. 24 spokes and 2200g! They're really heavy, and any broken spoke is really going to ruin your day. All the formula loose ball hubs ive had, have been really low quality and rough.

I would pass on them at any price.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Some vuelta wheels use hubs from joytech roughly equal to their novatec branded ones.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    I am considering these rims as well for my old Giant Iguana. I have a question and its probably a dumb one but i am new to allot of this stuff. It seams that allot wheels are 100mm front and 135mm rear is that what most bikes are and is my 2001 Giant Iguana that size. Thanks in advance.

Eddie

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward78 View Post
    I am considering these rims as well for my old Giant Iguana. I have a question and its probably a dumb one but i am new to allot of this stuff. It seams that allot wheels are 100mm front and 135mm rear is that what most bikes are and is my 2001 Giant Iguana that size. Thanks in advance.

Eddie
    Yup. 100 front and 135 rear is normal for the average MTB. Some are going wider out back to use fat tires now
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I bought a set and I can tell you none of these people have a pair. They were a noticeably HUGE improvement. Everything from dampening the bumps to spinning forever. My factory pair were ball and cone and I was constantly greasing them trying to get them to spin for more then a minute. It never worked. I bought these and right out of the box they were straight and true. The front wheel spins for 7:45 minutes and the rear wheel spins for 2:30 minutes. Oh yeah, almost forgot. the front wheel MOVES for almost 10 minutes because after 7.45 the wheel starts moving back and forth because of the imperfect rubber. I would say that is a smooth hub!
    The hubs, when I turn them by hand turn very smoothly and I haven't had the feeling yet where I feel I need to grease them. Although I have no idea what to do because their the cartridge type.
    My daughter and I just did the dam ride around South Carolina and Georgia. This was her first ride and I am proud to say she did 42 miles on her bad boy 5. I had 22 miles left on my own and I finished in under and hour on a MOUNTAIN BIKE. I easily caught passed and maintained my speed with the roadies any time I wanted.
    My 22 mile portion I caught up to a road biker and I have to say I could not have done it with out her. Thanks Paige from Columbia. According to her, I was the first mountain bike to keep up with her. Little did she know it wasn't me, it was my wheel set.
    So I say, "buy them!". There are very few things nowadays where the benefit/cost ratio leans toward benefit rather then cost.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    They are about the same. Mine are the vuelta pros, which aren't expensive, but I guarantee you that you will have less maintenance and they will spin alot longer then the ones you currently have. Spinning longer translates to less heat created and farther and faster rides.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've put a fair number of miles on some of the $79/set Vueltas. Nice stiff wheel, works well enough. I even broke a spoke or two (common with any wheel), and it was easily repaired. Ended up cracking the rim after a couple of years, but certainly got my money's worth.

mtbr member
    Interesting first two posts from someone who joined over three and a half years ago and is now just posting on a thread that is almost two years old...
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog