mtbr member

Vredestein Black Panther to Bull Lock Comparison?

I've had the Black Panthers for about 4 rides now (100 miles, 2.6 X 2.35). They are great tires going up because of their low rolling resistance and weight, BUT they don't appear to have very good cornering traction, especially on off-cambered turns (current conditions are muddy, loose). I low-sided my bike twice in 30 minutes because I intuitively expected a certain grip performance but got something else instead, and I am running out of elbow and knee skin.

So, I'm wondering if the Bull Horns are better cornering tires than the Black Panthers (for front tire applications). Does anyone have experience swapping the two? Did you have a similar observation for the Black Panther not being a good cornering tire in wet, loose condition?

I would like to buy the Bull Horns but the pictures suggest just a slightly deeper knob, and I am not sure if that will buy me anything.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m.
    I've had the Black Panthers for about 4 rides now (100 miles, 2.6 X 2.35). They are great tires going up because of their low rolling resistance and weight, BUT they don't appear to have very good cornering traction, especially on off-cambered turns (current conditions are muddy, loose). I low-sided my bike twice in 30 minutes because I intuitively expected a certain grip performance but got something else instead, and I am running out of elbow and knee skin.

So, I'm wondering if the Bull Horns are better cornering tires than the Black Panthers (for front tire applications). Does anyone have experience swapping the two? Did you have a similar observation for the Black Panther not being a good cornering tire in wet, loose condition?

I would like to buy the Bull Horns but the pictures suggest just a slightly deeper knob, and I am not sure if that will buy me anything.
    The Bull Lock tread is MUCH deeper than the Black Panther's. The BL grips very well in loose and muddy turns--as long as it is soft. They also use a hard rubber compound that does not like wet roots and rocks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The Bull Lock tread is MUCH deeper than the Black Panther's. The BL grips very well in loose and muddy turns--as long as it is soft. They also use a hard rubber compound that does not like wet roots and rocks.
    Thanks, Shiggy.

I've only had prior experience with Mythos (front) and Intense FRO Lite tires on this bike, and even the skinny Mythos tire felt more grippy cornering through the loose, wet stuff. Will the Bull Horn be on par with the Mythos, at least? (the Intense was awesome, but at 2.6 lbs, no way am I putting those back on my bike).

Thanks, Shiggy.

I've only had prior experience with Mythos (front) and Intense FRO Lite tires on this bike, and even the skinny Mythos tire felt more grippy cornering through the loose, wet stuff. Will the Bull Horn be on par with the Mythos, at least? (the Intense was awesome, but at 2.6 lbs, no way am I putting those back on my bike).
    Bull Lock. The BL with blow the Mythos away in loose/muddy conditions.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Hahah!!! Freudian slip. Thanks.

mtbr member
    How about a Bull Lock versus Nevegal Stick-E comparison? Which is better under loose, wet conditions?

How about a Bull Lock versus Nevegal Stick-E comparison? Which is better under loose, wet conditions?
    I hate Nevegals in the mud.
    mtbtires.com