mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Vittoria Mezcal G+ tires - Any experience?

These sound intriguing. I wonder how they compare to something like the Maxxis Ikon or Ardent Race...?

Just a flesh wound
    I am running the Morsa G+ on my bike. They are amazing. I have about 400 miles on them. The wet grip got better after about 30 miles. The rolling resistance is minimal. Better than my old Neo Moto 2.3's and those were fast. The Morsas blow those away. I'll bet the Mezcals are phenomenal. I went with the Morsa for the super tough sidewalls and I have 32mm internal rim width.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

Robertson
    I briefly ran a Mezcal 2.25 on the rear of my full sus, have run Ikons before and I'd say the Mezcal is faster rolling and has a touch better cornering grip. Compared to the Ardent Race (which one of my buddies has), the Mezcal is faster rolling but gives up cornering grip to the AR, which has notably larger side knobs

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    I briefly ran a Mezcal 2.25 on the rear of my full sus, have run Ikons before and I'd say the Mezcal is faster rolling and has a touch better cornering grip. Compared to the Ardent Race (which one of my buddies has), the Mezcal is faster rolling but gives up cornering grip to the AR, which has notably larger side knobs

So... Why did you only run in briefly? Were they true-to-size?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I can't speak to the comparison tires you mention, but I'm currently running 26" Morsa G+ TNT front and Mezcal G+ TNT rear. Only two rides so far and haven't taken them offroad yet. On road, they seem to be fantastic, and both have much less rolling resistance than my previous tires, IRC Trail Bears. They also seem softer and grippier.

If you're running tubes, be really careful of what you're riding over. Seven goathead thorns punctured both inner tubes through the tires on my first ride with them, which prompted me to immediately convert to a tubeless setup (finished last night). The ride to work (paved) was great this morning. I'm guessing the Mezcal rear will have a little less grip on the trail than the IRC Trail Bear it replaced due to smaller knobs.

EDIT: Also, these tires are really quiet and smooth on paved road, especially given the aggressive tread of the Morsa (possibly due to the compound) -- pleasantly surprised that they made such a big difference in road comfort over the TBs.

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mickstar View Post
    So... Why did you only run in briefly? Were they true-to-size?

Thanks.
    I destroyed the rear on week 2 of ownership, square edged hit pinched flatted the sidewall and tore a chunk out of the tread of the tire, it was odd to say the least. It was a very good tire while it lasted though, I simply ride too ham-fisted for lighter tires like that to last me

Just a flesh wound
    It was a very good tire while it lasted though, I simply ride too ham-fisted for lighter tires like that to last me

You should try the Morsa. It's a tough tire.

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    It was a very good tire while it lasted though, I simply ride too ham-fisted for lighter tires like that to last me

You should try the Morsa. It's a tough tire.
    I ran the Morsa on the front, punched a hole in it and pinch flatted it during a race. Back on Maxxis now (DHRII front, Ardent rear), no flats in 6 weeks so far. Don't even get me started on the Goma I had as a rear...

Just a flesh wound
    Which Morsa did you have? They have some versions that do not have the pinch flat protection. My 27.5 x 2.3's weigh close to 900 grams. There is a lighter version at 800 grams. Maybe you had this?

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    Which Morsa did you have? They have some versions that do not have the pinch flat protection. My 27.5 x 2.3's weigh close to 900 grams. There is a lighter version at 800 grams. Maybe you had this?
    I had the 29x2.3 TNT, weighed 940 grams

Just a flesh wound
    You had the tough one. I'm surprised. I've got 500 miles on mine without a problem. I had flatted my Neo Motos 3 times with sidewall tears within 150 miles after converting to wide LB rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just installed a pair on my Ripley with Derby Rims. They blow up pretty big and I like the look of the tread. More aggressive than I expected. Just a quick jaunt up the street and they roll well.

I'll get them out over the next few days and have a 50mi race on Sunday.

I'll report back. BTW, I ride in VT where it has been quite dry this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thought I would report back on these.

They mounted really easily and only took 1 dose of stans to stay more or less pumped up. I added some more to be safe.

I used these on a 50mi, 6000ft race here in VT on a mix of ancient, dirt and paved roads. Mostly dry by VT standards, but nothing is ever dry here in the VT woods. So, there were muddy spots, slick granite but most dirt roads were dry.

Overall, I am please. They climb well, roll well and hook up when needed. This was not a single track race nor was I doing any insane downs, but my guess is it was pretty normal for an XC type race.

As I said before these blow up big. Bigger than Schwalbe 2.25 and very close to my Hans Dampf 2.35.

I'm not sure about them on my Derby rims for XC use, but no complaints otherwise.

Mine weight 730 each so not lightweight by any means for an XC tire
    Last edited by WoodstockMTB; 08-31-2016 at 11:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So a bit more on these tires. Had them running at 22.5 r and 19.5 f on my Derby Rims.

I rode them pretty hard on my local trails which are very dry right now for Vermont. Its basically your typical East Coast dirt....so lots of roots, some rocks, leaves and other organic debris.

Love them. They don't hold on climbs as well as the Nobby Nics in the rear and don't corner like the Hans Dampf, but man they are so much faster in all other situations. I was feeling pretty good, but set 3 PRs and came close to 3 more. These will become my go to tires if they can handle wet conditions OK.

I have a 50 miler coming up on terrain like this. Worried we're going to go into a wet spell and render these tires useless. I don't think they will hold up too well if the dirt gets sticky. I'm hoping for some wet days so I can try them out and see.

The question I have is what should be my back up plan if these suck in the rain?? the HD/NN combo is just too slow for 50mi. Thinking I go back to my purgatory/ground control.

Just a flesh wound
    The Morsa would be my choice. I'm thinking of a fifty this weekend. They will be on my bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The morsa seems like more tire than I want for a 50 with 8500+ ft of climbing. I could do it , of course, but I'd be blaming the tires if I felt slow.

The Gato seemed like a better option, but I know nothing having ridden Schwalbe and Spesh for years.

Just a flesh wound
    The Morsas have relatively low center knobs. They roll incredibly well. They won't feel slow, but the weight might wear on you after all the climbing. BUT, they will rock on the downs and the flats. They are super stout and plow through chunk like a bulldozer. My 27.5 2.3's weigh 890 grams each. Not massive.

I loved them in the Mad River Valley a couple of weeks ago. Seems like they were made for the terrain there. But, you know what works for you and you have a 50 miler. Tough time to experiment. Good luck on the race! Try the Morsa later. You'll like it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I run 2.25 29er mezcals front and rear. Grip is good and tires roll very well and tnt versions are easy to install. However I managed to get puncture in front just after 3 races. Seems like one knob has ripped little bit and that caused the flat. I put tire boot on it and will give it another try. Tires are pretty heavy about 700g per tire and I would like to see vittoria shave about 40-80g off per tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by juu-zo View Post
    I run 2.25 29er mezcals front and rear. Grip is good and tires roll very well and tnt versions are easy to install. However I managed to get puncture in front just after 3 races. Seems like one knob has ripped little bit and that caused the flat. I put tire boot on it and will give it another try. Tires are pretty heavy about 700g per tire and I would like to see vittoria shave about 40-80g off per tire.
    Are you racing in hard or soft terrain? Curious. I don't see any issues here in VT. Ground is generally soft.

Short-Change-Hero
    Just saw that Vittoria released the Mezcal in a 2.35" version. Contemplating getting that as a rear tire with Goma up front. Normal NorCal/NoNV loam and dirt.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Just saw that Vittoria released the Mezcal in a 2.35" version. Contemplating getting that as a rear tire with Goma up front. Normal NorCal/NoNV loam and dirt.....
    Those must blow up like balloons. Still blown away how big my 2.25s are.

No good in rock gardens..
    Looks like the Mezcal is now a lot more like the Saguaro - which I found to be a tyre that punches above its weight, and I only had 2.0's...
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Awesome rear tire with nice volume despite the stated size. I've run the Mezcal's front and rear on both my Yeti ASRc and SB4.5 and I've been very happy. Nice weight and rolls super fast. As a front tire it turns relatively well and I like it much more than the Ardent all around. I've also tried Mezcal Front and Peyote rear....excellent XC combo. Morsa Front and Mezcal rear is my go to on 114mm-130mm travel bike when riding sharp southwest trails with loose over hard conditions.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Why the Mezcal over the Saguaro? I like the cup shaped side knobs on the Saguaro. The previous version (Mezcal II) was a rocket on hard pack but I don't see the appeal of this revised tread pattern in relation to Vittoria's other offerings. Disclaimer: I have not ridden it.

Short-Change-Hero
    Just picked up the 2.35" 29er TNT version. Mounted on my Halo Vapour rim (19mm internal) I am looking at JUST BARELY 2.2" Only one ride on it so far and seems to hook up pretty good in the NoNV/NorCal high desert but still need a few more rides to make determination. Going to be building a new rear wheel with the WTB i29 so will see how much it spreads out on that and what pressures it likes. So far the TnT has been flawless on ANY of the tires/rims combos I have used. Newest was replacing old standard 2.4 Goma (still under GEAX) that has been on there a couple seasons and mounted easily to my WTB i29 front tubeless. Just swapped it out for a TNT version and setup tubeless with NO SEALANT with just a floorpump. Super stoked about that and rode and held pressure for a week without any sealant or issues.

mtbr member
    That's a very disappointing width. Maybe you should return them. I have some of the older gen Barro Mountain 2.3 that are barely 2.1. If they weren't $10 on sale I would have returned them.

Effect of larger rim - 10mm rim difference/3mm = 3.3mm increase in width. Bringing them to 2.32". But now your sidewall is more exposed.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    That's a very disappointing width. Maybe you should return them. I have some of the older gen Barro Mountain 2.3 that are barely 2.1. If they weren't $10 on sale I would have returned them.

Effect of larger rim - 10mm rim difference/3mm = 3.3mm increase in width. Bringing them to 2.32". But now your sidewall is more exposed.
    Yeah I am going to run it and see how I like it. If nothing else it will go on my commuter/gravel grinder.

Short-Change-Hero
    So I shot Vittoria an email last week asking if the size issues I was seeing was normal. The response I received from "Taylor" stated that on the G+ TNT Mezcal my 19mm ID rim was on the smaller size for the tires and would be causing it to stand taller than anticipated. He went on to say that this particular size, the 2.35", was built more for a much wider tire such as my WTB Asym i29 and I would see that it would spread out much better on the wider rim allowing for a much larger contact patch.

I also noticed that the 2.35" is only available in the TNT version, no folding or wire bead. So that may be a good indicator that it is meant to spread out, ride a low pressures and hit the sidewall a bit more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have 2.25 on 29id rims and they blow up BIG. I move them to 23.5id and they are a bit less voluminous, but not much. These are BIG tires, but no way I'd throw 2.35 on 19id for any tire.

mtbr member
    I'm running TNT 2.3s on i19mm rims and the tires measure 2.25" actual. They work just fine.

Saying things like "They blow up BIG" but without a measurement for us....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I'm running TNT 2.3s on i19mm rims and the tires measure 2.25" actual. They work just fine.

Saying things like "They blow up BIG" but without a measurement for us....
    Fair enough, I have not measured. But were talking .10-.15 not 1.0 or even .50

I've found measurement doesn't mean much tire to tire when so many brands are smaller and bigger than their stated size.

2.2 Ikons next to my 2.25 Mezcal on the same rim? Not even close in tread or carcass and this is .05 difference.. As I said earlier in this thread, Side by side to my 2.25 Nobby Nic and the Mezcal looks and feels bigger. its bigger. Side by side to my 2.35 Hans Dampf and they are close carcass wise if not tread.

And the 2.25 mezcal is the only tires to have buzzed the seat tube of my Ripley so far. Go figure.

As for not throwing a 2.3 on a 19id rim? Just my personal preference after rolling 2.3 off a 19id rim a few times at low pressure and never having even burped on 29id with really low pressure. Obviously it can be done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My 2.35 measures 2.32 on some 25mm ID rims.

Short-Change-Hero
    Regardless I have always loved what Vittoria/Geax has had to offer as they are usually found cheaper than most big name brands and have always lasted me more than one season of hard riding. I have yet to be disappointed with an offering so I am stoked to see how large the Mezcal gets on the i29 rear once finished.

Live Free & Ride
    Hope these tires deliver. Just ordered one TNT Barzo 2.35 for the rear of my 29er. Saw somewhere that they were true to size and a little better tire than say an Ardent 2.4. Light enough at 720 g for all around xc/trail riding. Hope to mount soon to i30 carbon rims and will report back after a ride on em.

2.4 Fast Grippy Light Front Tire
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Hope these tires deliver. Just ordered one TNT Barzo 2.35 for the rear of my 29er. Saw somewhere that they were true to size and a little better tire than say an Ardent 2.4. Light enough at 720 g for all around xc/trail riding. Hope to mount soon to i30 carbon rims and will report back after a ride on em.

2.4 Fast Grippy Light Front Tire
    Definitely let us know. Just finished the wheel last night and finishing my Roger Munson trying stand so should be able to ride everything new this coming weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    So got the TNT Mezcal 2.35 mounted up to my WTB i29 last night and sad to say but the widest she is, is 2.26" according to my calipers. And that is straight casing, not tread, tread width is slightly smaller. So I am going to ride this one for a little bit but pretty sure that I am going to end up throwing it on my commuter bike and grabbing another TNT Goma for the rear.

Just a flesh wound
    I have the Morsa 2.3 G+ TNT on my 650b wheels with 31.6mm internal width. They measure 61mm on the casing and 60.5 on the side knobs. That is 2.4". Worth a look.

Short-Change-Hero
    Confirmed... Chatting via email with Tyler at Vittoria USA who went to their engineering team (apparently) with my concern/complaint. He confirmed, via their engineers, that they are showing that the Mezcal ARE coming in narrower than stated and even tested a few himself to confirm. Definitely a bummer as I was excited to see what this tire could do if it truly was 2.35" wide (knob to knob) as it could be a killer tire for my area.

Short-Change-Hero
    Well I am happy to say that Vittoria emailed me this morning asking for my return address information stating they would send me a box/label to return the Mezcal to them and in turn would replace it with the tire of my choice free of charge. So I will be getting another 29er GOMA 2.4 TNT for the rear!!

Now that is customer service!!!! Definitely continue to purchase their products from now on. Debated on going with the Morsa but really I know that the GOMA is tried and true for me so I just stuck with it..

mtbr member
    My favorite tire set up is the Mezczl in the rear and Barzo out front. I just ordered a 2.35 Barzo to see how it does. My only complaint is after a few rides the TNT sidewalls look tattered. also the Mezcal G last a long time, I wore out my sidewalls before I wore out the tread.

Live Free & Ride
    Finally got my new Ikon 2.35 Max Speed mounted to Hulk bike i30mm carbon rear wheel. Also had a Barzo 2.35 mounted to my front XM481 wheel. I have to say that the Ikon edges out the Barzo in the volume department. Had em both at 40 psi max and the Ikon won by about 1/16 inch. I still ended up putting it on the rear based on better tread pattern and more knobs than the Barzo for grip out back. The Barzo is also an awesome tire in its own right and has wider spaced knobs that are a hair taller too.
    Was able to really test this combo out on the trail with mixed wet/dry/mud conditions after some good rainfall. Both tires gripped very well in all conditions and felt very fast to me. The Ikon especially performed well on the back...the grip and speed were fantastic all around. Deep mud was only place these tires lacked in. Gravel, roots, rocks, hard pack (all slightly slick) felt in control. These will both be my trail and racing tire setup for this season....blown away!
    Front: 20 psi
    Rear: 21 psi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vittoria Mezcal G+ tires - Any experience?-ikon.jpg  

Vittoria Mezcal G+ tires - Any experience?-ikon2.jpg  

Vittoria Mezcal G+ tires - Any experience?-barzo.jpg  

14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    yep totally amazing blow ikons out of the water. bit heavier but more robust much more grip and less rolling resistance (2.25x29) they are the best tyres Ive ridden!

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfish666 View Post
    yep totally amazing blow ikons out of the water. bit heavier but more robust much more grip and less rolling resistance (2.25x29) they are the best tyres Ive ridden!
    Which Vittoria tire were you referring to? 3 are mentioned in this thread, so just trying to keep track. PSI, rim width and riding conditions also help when weighing in on these tires. ;-)
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfish666 View Post
    i would not say they blow Ikon out of the water they do roll faster than Ikons and to me grip just a little better but not a whole lot. Overall to me they are a better tire than the Ikon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Which Vittoria tire were you referring to? 3 are mentioned in this thread, so just trying to keep track. PSI, rim width and riding conditions also help when weighing in on these tires. ;-)
    I have half dozen rides on the Mezcal G+ 2.35s now and really liking them so far. Running them on 31.8mm inner rims and tape measure measurement they seem to be right at 2.35. They have a nice round profile on these wide rims also, seem to be little rounder and little taller than the Ikon 2.35s I had on there.

Ride in Arizona, dry hard pack loose over hard rocky desert trails. Running them at 21/23 PSI which seem to be a good pressure for them. Comparing to the Ikon 2.35s I was running before these are noticeably faster rolling and would say that they grip, brake and corner a little better than the Ikons.

We will see how these Mezcal hold up this summer and how tough they are. Tried the Morsa 2.3 G+s on my other AllMnt bike and those punctured way to easy on the the rougher DH hill trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I saw that vittoria just released a 4C version for the barzo but I can't find this tyre available in the shops.
    https://www.vittoria.com/tire/barzo/

I'm between barzo front/mezcal rear and fast track gripton for my new tyres for a camber 2015, mostly xc on dry condition and rarely wet.

one of you compared the two types of tires?