mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Vittoria Mezcal 29x2.35/2.25 TNT cross country ??

Do you think replacing my front tire with 1 would be a proper choice, if so wich size??
    Same questions for the rear,
    thanks.
    OK, My main bike is a 29 hardtail for 8 months, i started mountain/fat biking 12 months ago. I found a used 21 pounds that i like but strangely it is not faster than my used 26 in hardtail. I think the 26 fast side might be due to used tires and when the tires on my 29 get thinner they might be faster.
    Without a car i ride to and from the trails.
    I do not care about the tires weight.
    No flat is my priority
    good rolling is a plus
    climbing is my fun part
    i do not focus on max speeds turns nor descents.
    Mostly i am in beginner trails with short technical areas probably intermediate level, very few sandy spots, a bit of roots and rocks.
    It is now on continental 2.4 Cross King ProTection front, 2.2 Mountain King ProTection rear, high volume, the wheels might be 2 years old Easton 70 XC rims on the narrow side(not boost).
    Edit = i am 150 pounds
    Last edited by 33red; 1 Week Ago at 08:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    hi, I'm also interested in this tyre, it seems that the vittoria barzo is a better option for a front tyre, a famous french online magazine try barzo front and mezcal rear for the last cap epic.

https://www.vittoria.com/tire/barzo/

they released a new version of the barzo with 4c compound, it seem to be a better compound.
    for the mezcal the improvement for the rolling resistance was huge between classic version and 4c.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks louit32, i will read about the compound. My front will probably wont be changed soon. After readings i will ask my LBS if he can order a Vittoria or a Continental for my rear. If not the Vittoria here is my other choice.
    https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...ing-protection
    For my needs i think either one will be an improvement.

mtbr member
    I've run the Mezcal 2.35 front and rear. It's a very fast tire. The 2.35 comes more in at a 2.25 width. So, they run a bit narrower than stated size. Flat protection has been good so has wear.

I found the Mezcal on the front to be too sketchy for me in loose conditions, so I replaced it with the Morsa (also a fast tire). The rear works well in most conditions as long as it's paired with a grippy front. If your trails are primarily hardpack they will work well.. and like I said they roll really fast. If you ride in loose conditions, I wouldn't use it on the front.
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ridetheridge View Post
    I've run the Mezcal 2.35 front and rear. It's a very fast tire. The 2.35 comes more in at a 2.25 width. So, they run a bit narrower than stated size. Flat protection has been good so has wear.

I found the Mezcal on the front to be too sketchy for me in loose conditions, so I replaced it with the Morsa (also a fast tire). The rear works well in most conditions as long as it's paired with a grippy front. If your trails are primarily hardpack they will work well.. and like I said they roll really fast. If you ride in loose conditions, I wouldn't use it on the front.
    How does the 2.3 Morsa compare to the 2.35 Mezcal width wise?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem1 View Post
    How does the 2.3 Morsa compare to the 2.35 Mezcal width wise?
    My Morsa measures at 2.37 and the Mexcal at 2.25. This is after a couple of months of riding and on 21mm ID rims.

Note that the Morsa 2.3 ETRTO is 58mm in width, while the Mezcal 2.35 ETRTO is 57mm.
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    So my Mezcal 4C 2.25 on 25mm internal wheel is 2.32 whide.
    I can conpare Mezcal with Racing Ralph evo pacestar 2.25.
    Bouth i used as rear tyre.
    Racing ralph is on 19mm wheels and it is narower 2.12. And Mezcal is taler/bigger volume on 25mm for some 5mm!
    RR is used on 30% of center knobs and it is faster and have in that condition MORE grip than Mezcal!!! (on grip i mean on climbing traction and brakeing traction ... i decend carefuly so i am never on edge of side/corner grip so i cant thel diference)
    What i did on Mezcal is i cut part of center knob. And i got huge inprovement on climbing/brakeing traction. Now is beter than RR in that part. But probably it is a littlebit slower now than before. (i cant thel real diference in rolling resistance because i did not ride bike for some time and i lose some condition, then i decide to do that modification and take bike for a ride. )
    My apologies for bad english but i belive u got the point
    Here is a picture of modificated MezcalVittoria Mezcal 29x2.35/2.25 TNT cross country ??-image.jpg