mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Versatility: nbx 2.3 vs. Albert 2.25?

Hi!
    I'm looking for a new knobby mtb tire for my xc hardtail.
    Questions are:
    1.Which one of these two is more suitable for all-round use? Lower rolling resistance? I'm asking this because before and after riding offroad in mountains I still have 30 km of tarmac road(15 in both direction) to home. Yes, I understand that these are not rational choise and that it's hard to talk about low rolling resistance in this class of tires, but I'm sick of sliding away on uphills and downhills with some semi slick alternatives.

2.I've realized that in fact both of these tires are somewhere around 2.0/2.1", but has anybody noticed maybe which one is more comfortable? Aluminium hardtail frame is the reason why I'm asking this

T.

just along for the ride
    NBX would not be a good choice, they squirm a bit on pavement, I'd look at the WTB mutanoraptor which can be run in reverse direction as a rear tire for better climbing performance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    neither. I have an NBX 2.3 on the back right now, rode it on the road to a local trail a week or so ago, and it vibrates a lot. I love it on the trail, just not smooth on the road, and I expect it would wear quickly on the road too.

You might try a Hutch Python (Gold rather than airlight) on the back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for suggestions...