mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Velomax Orion II road hub / spoke question

Since I'm unable to create an account at Roadbike Review, maybe someone here might be able to help me.

I have a set of road wheels from a 2005 Felt F25 road bike. They components are "Orion 2" hubs made by Velomax, and they are laced to Velocity Arrowhead rims.
    The rims have cracked (I have purchased new ones), but I would like to use a black spoke instead of the original silver ones. The type of spoke I need seem difficult to find.

Easton, who owns Velomax (?), says that the spokes I need are regular DT Swiss spokes. However, the spokes need to be able to actually thread into the hubs. They are not the standard "J bend" that is common. The Easton customer service girl was baffled by this and seemed not to know what I was trying to explain.

Anyone out there own this hub and rim combo and can help me out in regards to spokes?
    BTW: Spoke count is 24 front and 28 rear.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need straight pull spokes. However, I am not familiar with the hub/rim you are referring to.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxson View Post
    Since I'm unable to create an account at Roadbike Review, maybe someone here might be able to help me.

I have a set of road wheels from a 2005 Felt F25 road bike. They components are "Orion 2" hubs made by Velomax, and they are laced to Velocity Arrowhead rims.
    The rims have cracked (I have purchased new ones), but I would like to use a black spoke instead of the original silver ones. The type of spoke I need seem difficult to find.

Easton, who owns Velomax (?), says that the spokes I need are regular DT Swiss spokes. However, the spokes need to be able to actually thread into the hubs. They are not the standard "J bend" that is common. The Easton customer service girl was baffled by this and seemed not to know what I was trying to explain.

Anyone out there own this hub and rim combo and can help me out in regards to spokes?
    BTW: Spoke count is 24 front and 28 rear.

Thanks!
    You might have to have a shop custom cut them for you. The first step would be to remove one of the front spokes, and one of each of the back spokes to determine the lengths. From there, contact a shop that has a threading machine and see if they will cut double threaded spokes for you.

I don't see this on the Easton site any longer, but I happen to have the archived instructions for the T3 spoke threading.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Velomax Orion II road hub / spoke question-velomaxt3_1.jpg  

Velomax Orion II road hub / spoke question-velomaxt3_2.jpg  

Velomax Orion II road hub / spoke question-velomaxt3_3.jpg  

Velomax Orion II road hub / spoke question-velomaxt3_4.jpg  

Velomax Orion II road hub / spoke question-velomaxt3_5.jpg  

Velomax Orion II road hub / spoke question-velomaxt3_6.jpg