thecentralscrutinizer

Velocity wheelset

Anyone have any experience with the Blunt Sl wheelset?

I currently have an old set of VXC Disc rims and Hope hubs that have been a good, but heavy, wheelset. Looking to go tubeless as well.

Thanks
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2012 Niner Air9
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the Blunt Sl wheelset?

I currently have an old set of VXC Disc rims and Hope hubs that have been a good, but heavy, wheelset. Looking to go tubeless as well.

Thanks
    Blunt SLs are not much lighter than the VXC and there are better choices for tubeless (WTB TCS).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

g3h6o3
    I find the Blunt SL to be a very soft rim. I've dented my rear wheel a couple of times before finding the minimum pressure that I can run without bottoming out my tire on my local trails. The wheel also had a tendency to get our of true when built at 90 kgf but once I've bumped it closer to 110 kgf it's much better although if I remember correctly it's over the published limit.

Basically, it's nothing exceptional and I would look at the WTB as proposed by shiggy if I were you.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    I'd either look at the WTB i19 TCS or the Pacenti CL25. The WTB uses a stiffer (and therefore more dent resistant) alloy and a UST compliant bead shape that makes installing tubeless ready tires a snap. The Pacenti is the same bead shape as the Blunt SL but with eyelets. It also doesn't have the reputation of denting easily.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Thanks
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2012 Niner Air9
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have had a few sets of Blunt Sl with CX Ray spokes built up by Velocity. I have found them be excellent wheels. Velocity tends to run 110-120 kgf spoke tension. Mine have remained true and I have had no real trouble with denting. I run 28 PSI with 2.125 tires and weight 145 lbs.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by Drider85 View Post
    I have had a few sets of Blunt Sl with CX Ray spokes built up by Velocity. I have found them be excellent wheels. Velocity tends to run 110-120 kgf spoke tension. Mine have remained true and I have had no real trouble with denting. I run 28 PSI with 2.125 tires and weight 145 lbs.
    Thanks. Wouldn't happen to know the "real world" weight of those wheels would you?
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2012 Niner Air9
    2003 TiSport Gman