Results 1 to 63 of 63

Thread: Vee Rubber ?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fixgeardan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,158

    Vee Rubber ?

    Does anyone know who the supplier for vee rubber tires is? Also where to purchase on line
    I know Jenson has some in stock.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    agu
    agu is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Here ya go Dan:

    Vee Rubber America Inc.
    3602 Browns Mill Road SE
    Atlanta, GA 30354
    Tel: 1-404-305-9394
    Fax: 1-404-305-9397
    E-Mail : info@veerubber.co.th

    Business Hours
    Monday – Friday 9.00-17.00 (Est Time)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    456
    To my knowledge "vee Rubber" is a trade name a Thai company uses to market its products under here in N America. While I believe they are probably working to increase market share, I bet that the market for auto and truck tires is much larger and they aren't pushing the bike tire thing very hard.

    I think there's a Thai or international website with listings of more tires than we can actually get here, perhaps because Vee Rubber is trying to market container quantities. They also do some contract mfg for others...isn't the Surly fat tires series actually made there?

  4. #4
    agu
    agu is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Surly's are made by Innova...

    Vee Rubber also has a former designer from Kenda on board.

  5. #5
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    My shop uses Vee for repair level tires.... I wont ever buy one for my bike until they add some volume to their tires and make them tubeless ready.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  6. #6
    agu
    agu is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    the 29x2.4s have decent volume and are sealant compatible (see sidewall)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vee Rubber ?-photo.jpg  


  7. #7
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    Does anyone know who the supplier for vee rubber tires is? Also where to purchase on line
    I know Jenson has some in stock.
    Thanks
    Vee Rubber owns and operates its own factories and rubber plantations. They are the supplier.

    The former Kenda guy left Vee Rubber just after Sea Otter this year.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  8. #8
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    Quote Originally Posted by agu View Post
    the 29x2.4s have decent volume and are sealant compatible (see sidewall)
    Is that new? How does the bead feel tubeless?

    Qbp diddnt carry this tire last time I checked a few months ago... I should double-check.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fixgeardan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,158
    I have called and e-mailed Vee rubber with no response. I may have to try some of the 2.4's from Jenson

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    116
    Vee rubber is the subsidiary of IRC. They work on light weight motorcycle tyres, scooter, etc.

    I use it for my motorcycle.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    94
    How does a Vee Rubber tire ride and wear? I often wondered, I am kinda afraid of them with such a low price point.

  12. #12
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by cassava View Post
    Vee rubber is the subsidiary of IRC. They work on light weight motorcycle tyres, scooter, etc.

    I use it for my motorcycle.
    AFAIK there is no ownership connection between IRC and Vee Rubber. Vee Rubber does contract production for many other tire companies, which may include IRC.

    Inoue Rubber Company (IRC) does have a Thailand division, Inoue Rubber (Thailand) Co.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  13. #13
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by rti27 View Post
    How does a Vee Rubber tire ride and wear? I often wondered, I am kinda afraid of them with such a low price point.
    They ride and wear just fine. No worries.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    AFAIK there is no ownership connection between IRC and Vee Rubber. Vee Rubber does contract production for many other tire companies, which may include IRC.

    Inoue Rubber Company (IRC) does have a Thailand division, Inoue Rubber (Thailand) Co.
    I don't know whether it is true or false but our local media who said so.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fixgeardan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,158
    What I really want to know is how does the mission 2.4 compare with the ardent 2.4 or the RaRa 2.4 in size and volumn ? still looking for the most volumn 29er tire besides the Knard of course.

  16. #16
    agu
    agu is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    @fixgeardan the Mission 2.4 is very comparable, volume-wise to a RaRa 2.4 and an Ardent 2.4. The Mission's knobs are quite low though, and seem to suit drier trails.

    We also have the Flying Vee in 2.35 and 2.2 for testing, along with a Trax in 2.35.

    Freshly mounted and no rides on either yet, but hope to get some mileage on both over the weekend.

    Here's the Flying V 2.35 mounted on a Blunt SL
    Vee Rubber ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356748684.423027.jpg

    From left to right: Flying V 2.35 on Blunt SL, Mission 2.4 on P35, Flying V 2.35 on P35
    Vee Rubber ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356748780.792429.jpg

    From left to right: Trax 2.35 on P35, Flying V 2.35 on Blunt SL
    Vee Rubber ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356748853.624619.jpg

    One more comparo shot:
    Vee Rubber ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356749004.732763.jpg

    The Trax may also come in a 2.4, but none are available at the moment.

  17. #17
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    Quote Originally Posted by agu View Post
    @fixgeardan the Mission 2.4 is very comparable, volume-wise to a RaRa 2.4 and an Ardent 2.4. The Mission's knobs are quite low though, and seem to suit drier trails.

    We also have the Flying Vee in 2.35 and 2.2 for testing, along with a Trax in 2.35.

    Freshly mounted and no rides on either yet, but hope to get some mileage on both over the weekend.

    One more comparo shot:
    [ATTACH]748

    The Trax may also come in a 2.4, but none are available at the moment.
    They all look great!
    Any plans for tubeless ready beads?
    And are they going to be carried by QBP?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  18. #18
    agu
    agu is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Only the Mission is explicitly labelled "sealant compatible" though.

    Speaking of labels, weights are listed as follows:

    Trax 2.35: 720g +/- 30g
    Mission 2.4: 800g +/- 30g
    Flying V 2.2: 650g +/- 30g
    Flying V 2.35: 740g +/- 30g

  19. #19
    agu
    agu is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Another comparison:

    Trax 2.35 on left (new)
    Mission 2.4 on right (used, maybe around 100km)

    Both on P35 rims
    Vee Rubber ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356758460.730734.jpg

  20. #20
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,613
    Quote Originally Posted by agu View Post
    Another comparison:

    Trax 2.35 on left (new)
    Mission 2.4 on right (used, maybe around 100km)

    Both on P35 rims
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356758460.730734.jpg 
Views:	1736 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	748772
    Curious on that Mission. Was it mounted front or rear and did it see pavement use?

    TIA

  21. #21
    agu
    agu is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    @BruceBrown

    The Mission has seen some mixed use - some pavement riding to nearby trails - but definitely more dirt time. I've run them as a pair, and the tire in the photo was mounted up front. The knobs are quite low to begin with.

    I find them more useful as a front tire, as I've experienced some rear tire slip during out of the saddle, ss climbing. PSIs in the low 20s.

  22. #22
    agu
    agu is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Vee Rubber ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356919597.299313.jpg

    Got to spend some time with the Flying V in a short dirt track (makes for fun laps and PSI fiddling). Front is a 29x2.35, rear is a 29x2.25' both mounted on Blunt SL rims. Again, tire pressure in the low 20s.

    We've had a spot of rain so this particular trail had it all: standing water, some mud, dry single track, wet roots and smooth rocks.

    Overall I was surprised at the usable traction - though I did lose the rear on a corner that was "thin layer of mud over hardpack". On the next lap I took the same corner with less of a lean, and came through ok. The front slipped when it jammed on a smooth, off-camber rock (which is also located on a switchback), so it could also be rider error hehe. On the drier portions of the trail the tires flew - as their name suggests. Kinda reminds me of a Maxxis Aspen in terms of "personality".

  23. #23
    agu
    agu is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Vee Rubber ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356920061.533994.jpg

    Another photo of the test rig. A bit overcast today with the threat of rain so I may try the Trax 2.35 on the same trail to serve as comparison.

  24. #24
    agu
    agu is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    PSI correction. Using a digital gauge I was apparently running 18psi up front, 22psi in the rear with the Flying Vs

    Mounted the Trax 2.35s on a different wheelset (p35 front, sl rear). Aired up to 22psi front, 24psi rear. Hope weather cooperates.

    Vee Rubber ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356921984.324416.jpg

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    132

    650b Tyres

    Ive got some of the new 650b tyres here, and have got some info on them as well.

    Ill have full ride reports back ASAP

    Heres a few details on a couple of them, shown against a Pacenti 2.3 tyre

    Fluid 2.4




    Flow 2.4


    Mission 2.3
    Defcon Cycles - Brisbane Australia

  26. #26
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643
    What online sites stock these Vee Rubber tires?

    JensonUSA was the only one I could find but they only had V12's

  27. #27
    agu
    agu is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Just a thread bump to share this:

    Vee Rubber ?-vr650.jpgVee Rubber ?-vr29.jpg

    The Race-V and Speed-R will be arriving here next week, will fit them to some rims and maybe get a ride report or two.

    So far the models I've ridden are the Mission, Flying V, Trax, and Traction Power.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8
    i think im getting vee rubber flying v's instead of panaracer cg xc's they look fast and well built.

  29. #29
    no trees are safe
    Reputation: Millfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    501
    Some of their tires look great but their 26" line is almost non existent... jerks.

  30. #30
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Vee Rubber ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    Some of their tires look great but their 26" line is almost non existent... jerks.
    Almost all Vee Rubber models are offered in 26", 650B, and 29, and some in 24".
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JHart94949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    Some of their tires look great but their 26" line is almost non existent... jerks.
    I just bought the Race-V's in 26x2.1 and I LOVE THEM, I ride in NorCal (Marin). Lots of loose over hardpack singletrack (tamarancho, china camp, fire roads etc...). I have used many different tires some good some bad. These tires corner very well and are fast rolling as well. I had Kenda Slant Six's on my bike and I was not impressed with the cornering I got out of them. Anyways, I strongly recommend these tires, great price, great durability so far and I have put them through their paces for sure and I have had zero issues.

  32. #32
    agu
    agu is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    I've no complaints running a Mission 29x2.4 rear, Speed-R 29x2.4 front combo on both a Jones and a VooDoo Canzo. They won't win any weight-weenie awards but grip is very predictable, and they tires roll fast. Ditto with the Flying-Vs, which I've ridden in 29x2.20 and 29x2.35 guise. The Traction Power has found a permanent place in my monstercross bike as well.

    There may be better/lighter/faster/grippier tires out there, for sure, but I think they don't pack as much value and performance as the Vees.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    What online sites stock these Vee Rubber tires?

    JensonUSA was the only one I could find but they only had V12's
    i bought vee 12's 29x1.75 from Universal Cycles. Good price, great shipping. No complaints.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: subspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,006
    Just an FYI PricePoint.com has these on sale for $10 each!

  35. #35
    It ain't easy being Green
    Reputation: sdcadbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    Just an FYI PricePoint.com has these on sale for $10 each!
    ...and that probably tells you all you need to know! Sarcasm aside, it's just too good of a deal to pass up; I bought a pair of Missions. There's no way that thing is going on a front wheel of mine but it looks like a great rear for my practice wheelset. Currently I'm running a Slant 6 in the back, the Mission looks very similar.

  36. #36
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,020
    I'm considering a pair from pricepoint was well, but I'm unsure of the volume of these tires and how well they do in rocks. I have a problem cutting tires, especially ones not designed as TR.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I'm considering a pair from pricepoint was well, but I'm unsure of the volume of these tires and how well they do in rocks. I have a problem cutting tires, especially ones not designed as TR.

    I would suspect they wouldn't be very good for sharp rocks. I'v heard the compound is pretty soft. I have the 29x1.75's on a set of velocity a23's with caliper brakes. I must of been a little sloppy setting up the pads because i went for a really short shake down ride and the edge of the pad was dragging just slightly on the edge of the sidewall and shaved a groove into it like butter. btw i am running them tubeless ("sealant compatible version"). just my 2 cents.

  38. #38
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Vee Rubber ?

    Quote Originally Posted by newdee View Post
    I would suspect they wouldn't be very good for sharp rocks. I'v heard the compound is pretty soft. I have the 29x1.75's on a set of velocity a23's with caliper brakes. I must of been a little sloppy setting up the pads because i went for a really short shake down ride and the edge of the pad was dragging just slightly on the edge of the sidewall and shaved a groove into it like butter. btw i am running them tubeless ("sealant compatible version"). just my 2 cents.
    ANY tire will fail if you have the brake pad rubbing on the sidewall.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  39. #39
    It ain't easy being Green
    Reputation: sdcadbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I'm considering a pair from pricepoint was well, but I'm unsure of the volume of these tires and how well they do in rocks. I have a problem cutting tires, especially ones not designed as TR.
    You could say the exact same about Schwalbe's and be out $120/pair; at least this experiment will cost me only $20/pair and who knows? They might be awesome tires!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    ANY tire will fail if you have the brake pad rubbing on the sidewall.
    I agree completely. But i'm talking about a number of tire revolutions you could count on your fingers.

    I saw someone mentioning high tire wear with <100 km of riding for these tires. Time will tell!

  41. #41
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Vee Rubber ?

    Quote Originally Posted by newdee View Post
    I agree completely. But i'm talking about a number of tire revolutions you could count on your fingers.

    I saw someone mentioning high tire wear with <100 km of riding for these tires. Time will tell!
    Yes, me, too. That is user error, not a tire issue. Brake pad on tire = dead tire. Always.

    I ran the Vee12 29x1.95 for more than 1000 miles on pavement and gravel. Showed minor wear on the front and about half tread rear.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  42. #42
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,020
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker View Post
    You could say the exact same about Schwalbe's and be out $120/pair; at least this experiment will cost me only $20/pair and who knows? They might be awesome tires!
    That's why I don't run Schwalbe. That's flirting with disaster. I can't argue with the price. For 20 dollars a pair, I need to get a set and see what happens.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

  43. #43
    It ain't easy being Green
    Reputation: sdcadbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker View Post
    ...and that probably tells you all you need to know! Sarcasm aside, it's just too good of a deal to pass up; I bought a pair of Missions. There's no way that thing is going on a front wheel of mine but it looks like a great rear for my practice wheelset. Currently I'm running a Slant 6 in the back, the Mission looks very similar.
    I finally got sick of my worn Slant 6 sliding out in Big Bear dry gravel so today I mounted a Vee Mission 2.0 on my back wheel and went for a 20 mile ride. Granted that my previous tire was totally inappropriate for the conditions but I was pleasantly surprised; the tire hooked up really well on steep, dry gravel climbs and grip was predictable and acceptable throwing the bike into downhill turns at speed. The mechanic at my LBS (I borrowed their compressor) was fairly scathing (his exact words were "horrible choice of tire") but it worked much better than I expected and I now have lots of "PR" markers on my Strava upload. For those who know the Big Bear area I rode all of Skyline west to east, then down upper and lower Fall Line and Fern. No sidewall cuts, no "moments", just a fun ride! Not bad for $10 :-)

  44. #44
    It ain't easy being Green
    Reputation: sdcadbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker View Post
    I finally got sick of my worn Slant 6 sliding out in Big Bear dry gravel so today I mounted a Vee Mission 2.0 on my back wheel and went for a 20 mile ride. Granted that my previous tire was totally inappropriate for the conditions but I was pleasantly surprised; the tire hooked up really well on steep, dry gravel climbs and grip was predictable and acceptable throwing the bike into downhill turns at speed. The mechanic at my LBS (I borrowed their compressor) was fairly scathing (his exact words were "horrible choice of tire") but it worked much better than I expected and I now have lots of "PR" markers on my Strava upload. For those who know the Big Bear area I rode all of Skyline west to east, then down upper and lower Fall Line and Fern. No sidewall cuts, no "moments", just a fun ride! Not bad for $10 :-)
    BTW, tires mounted tubeless with no problems on Charger Pro rims, one small bottle of Stans (no detectable weeping), 25 psi.

  45. #45
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    OK, I've been running the Vee Rubber Mission on the rear and the Speed R front and got to say I'm really impressed... for the $$$$

    • the are light, not the lightest but far from the heaviest and WAY lighter than most anything 2x the price.
    • Hook up.. well OK.. I did run this combo in the snow a few times this winter and got to say they did pretty well for such a low knob tire.. they both clear muck/slush really well also!
    • The last 1/2way decent, I wouldn't say I have a lot of miles on them as I've been old/injured/tired/working so,.. but pretty much used them in all conditions here and they aren't perfect, but man, better than I thought for the $$
    • Hook up tubeless rather easy and stay up without any bead issues (LOVED my Conti's but man were the bead's a pain in the butt regularly)

    I will say the Mission (29er) I've spun out a few times on a hill when I really din't think I would or should have, but the surface was a loose, crush rock that the State put in the section to stop erosion and pretty much any low knob tire will spin.

    Don't think I'll look for another tire.. probably will try a higher knob set from Vee Rubber this fall/winter just for giggles.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edbraunbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    439
    Do they have a website? I can't seem to find one that has all there tires on it.

  47. #47
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by edbraunbeck View Post
    Do they have a website? I can't seem to find one that has all there tires on it.
    .:: Veerubber USA ::.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    353
    sdcadbiker, what tire do you run up front?

    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker View Post
    I finally got sick of my worn Slant 6 sliding out in Big Bear dry gravel so today I mounted a Vee Mission 2.0 on my back wheel and went for a 20 mile ride. Granted that my previous tire was totally inappropriate for the conditions but I was pleasantly surprised; the tire hooked up really well on steep, dry gravel climbs and grip was predictable and acceptable throwing the bike into downhill turns at speed. The mechanic at my LBS (I borrowed their compressor) was fairly scathing (his exact words were "horrible choice of tire") but it worked much better than I expected and I now have lots of "PR" markers on my Strava upload. For those who know the Big Bear area I rode all of Skyline west to east, then down upper and lower Fall Line and Fern. No sidewall cuts, no "moments", just a fun ride! Not bad for $10 :-)

  49. #49
    It ain't easy being Green
    Reputation: sdcadbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by LowOnO2 View Post
    sdcadbiker, what tire do you run up front?
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.35, TLR & Snakeskin; I run the same front tire on all my bikes. Normally I use a Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on the back wheel.

  50. #50
    TRANCER
    Reputation: Biohazard74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,491
    I bought the VEE Rubber Mission tires in 26x2.1 (more like 1.9) from Pricepoint for $12 for my everyday bike and i love them on the pavement and asphalt. Vey fast tire on hard surfaces but no good on loose rock or wet anything , I even slipped on hardpack. For the price they are a good tire. I just really would never use them on my trail bike.
    Ride

  51. #51
    It ain't easy being Green
    Reputation: sdcadbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74 View Post
    I bought the VEE Rubber Mission tires in 26x2.1 (more like 1.9) from Pricepoint for $12 for my everyday bike and i love them on the pavement and asphalt. Vey fast tire on hard surfaces but no good on loose rock or wet anything , I even slipped on hardpack. For the price they are a good tire. I just really would never use them on my trail bike.
    I just finished a 25-mile ride at Big Bear in mostly dry gravel and and had no problems with the same tire on my back wheel. Niner RIP-9, tire setup tubeless on a Sun rim at 28psi; 2.35 RaRa up front. I'm really only running this tire coz someone on this thread dared me to, but it's actually working pretty well for a $10 tire :-)

  52. #52
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,745
    Their casing is sturdy and their rubber compound is pretty grippy. I'd say it feels like MaxxPro (Maxxis 62A?). It even wears down bald in a short manner like MaxxPro. So far, I've tried the Vee8 on my 29 HT and the Trax on my 26 FS, both on the rear since they're so narrow. After about 500 miles, they both start failing to maintain traction on 10+% grade climbs, as the center tread is worn down to about 2.5mm tall. It doesn't help that the tread was only about 5mm tall to begin with.

    Overall, I think these are great value tires. They lasted longer than some of the Schwalbe and Contis I had, which died before wearing out the tread, and their performance on hard dry surfaces is similar to Maxxis tires. The performance is definitely there and the current prices make them bargains.

  53. #53
    TRANCER
    Reputation: Biohazard74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,491
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker View Post
    I just finished a 25-mile ride at Big Bear in mostly dry gravel and and had no problems with the same tire on my back wheel. Niner RIP-9, tire setup tubeless on a Sun rim at 28psi; 2.35 RaRa up front. I'm really only running this tire coz someone on this thread dared me to, but it's actually working pretty well for a $10 tire :-)
    I totally agree that for the money its a great tire. I was using 32 psi front 36 rear. I'm 215 all geared up.
    Ride

  54. #54
    It ain't easy being Green
    Reputation: sdcadbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74 View Post
    I totally agree that for the money its a great tire. I was using 32 psi front 36 rear. I'm 215 all geared up.
    OK, so I found the limits of this tire last weekend (mission 29er 2.0): a long, deep gravel descent (Seven Oaks at Big Bear if you know the area) scared me $h1tless! My buddies all floated down on their 2.3 Ikons while I was all over the damn place! To be fair, any skinny tire would have had the same problem.

    So, after six weeks and maybe 200 miles on this tire my conclusion is that it works just fine on hardpack, loose-over-hardpack and shallow gravel but anything loose or deep it doesn't do well; also, as other have mentioned, it wears real fast. I have another Mission in the garage and I'll put it on my canyon commuter where it will be perfect.

    My test wasn't really fair because Big Bear is a challenging environment for any tire and I was warned that a 2.0 would't work. Despite this, I had no flats or sidewall tears, I don't regret my experiment and I'd be happy to race on this light, grippy and ridiculously inexpensive tire if the trail conditions were right.

  55. #55
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker View Post
    OK, so I found the limits of this tire last weekend (mission 29er 2.0): a long, deep gravel descent (Seven Oaks at Big Bear if you know the area) scared me $h1tless! My buddies all floated down on their 2.3 Ikons while I was all over the damn place! To be fair, any skinny tire would have had the same problem.

    So, after six weeks and maybe 200 miles on this tire my conclusion is that it works just fine on hardpack, loose-over-hardpack and shallow gravel but anything loose or deep it doesn't do well; also, as other have mentioned, it wears real fast. I have another Mission in the garage and I'll put it on my canyon commuter where it will be perfect.

    My test wasn't really fair because Big Bear is a challenging environment for any tire and I was warned that a 2.0 would't work. Despite this, I had no flats or sidewall tears, I don't regret my experiment and I'd be happy to race on this light, grippy and ridiculously inexpensive tire if the trail conditions were right.
    LOL,.. sounds like you're taking an XC tire and riding it on downhill terrain! Glad someone is taking it to the limits..

    I've got to say, I've ridden in way worse conditions than the tire's tread height and profiles suggest it can do and it handles it WAY better than I thought it would. even in snow..

    I really wish they'd make a "Mission +" .. take the tread and raise it like 1/2 again the height.. think the little bit of extra tread would really boost the tire for more "do it all" type. Kinda like Nevegals.. they can kinda do everything OK, but nothing perfect.. think the mission with the taller tread would do it better!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  56. #56
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,080
    I have some Race-V 29ers, but I haven't mounted them up yet...I'm still using my Duro Switch tires that I got for <$25 for the pair at 29x2.35.
    The Race-Vs look nice, remind me of SB8s a bit, but a little more aggressive with lower knobs. I'll recheck weight, but I think it was somewhere around 830gm? On the heavier side...I'll get them mounted up eventually and post up a real review.

  57. #57
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I have some Race-V 29ers, but I haven't mounted them up yet...I'm still using my Duro Switch tires that I got for <$25 for the pair at 29x2.35.
    The Race-Vs look nice, remind me of SB8s a bit, but a little more aggressive with lower knobs. I'll recheck weight, but I think it was somewhere around 830gm? On the heavier side...I'll get them mounted up eventually and post up a real review.
    mines under 700 grams
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JHart94949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    412
    I am looking to purchase either the Flow or Fluid for my Knolly. I ride mostly Norcal trails, AM riding. I want some good hook up in corners, I currently run Hans Dampf but I am not crazy about $70 plus a tire. Anyone have input on either of these Vee Tires and info on running them tubeless on Stans Flow EX wheels?

  59. #59
    Greystoke
    Reputation: geo025's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by JHart94949 View Post
    I am looking to purchase either the Flow or Fluid for my Knolly. I ride mostly Norcal trails, AM riding. I want some good hook up in corners, I currently run Hans Dampf but I am not crazy about $70 plus a tire. Anyone have input on either of these Vee Tires and info on running them tubeless on Stans Flow EX wheels?
    I've been running Fluid front Flow rear in 27.5 for a couple of months.
    The Fluid I am really impressed with it hasn't let go yet.
    The Flow not so much,I did try it on the front & it didn't have the same grip as the Fluid.
    On the rear it was just so so , when it started to slide it wouldn't stop even more so with some wear & they do wear fairly fast.
    They haven't lost or torn knobs like I remember the the Hans Dampfs tend to do.
    As far as weight they are a little heavier than the stated weight on the package but acceptable.
    I have them set up tubeless (with a bit of Co2 help) on hookless wide carbon rims, 20 front 25 rear this varies a little dependent on trail conditions.

    I just picked up some new Fluids so will try one on the back & see how it holds up.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kyttyra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    188
    I have been eyeing Vee Rubber Rail 29x1.75" tyres for my Soma Wolverine.

    Questions:
    -any idea if the sizing is true (I've heard that they run small, and if that's the case I might as well take a pair of Knards or maybe Panaracer Gravel Kings - or paerhaps even 1.95" rails if their true width is considerably less than 50 mm).
    -the tubeless question: yea or nay? The Wolverine will have Easton Arc 24 rims, that should be good for tubeless use (I have one 27 pair with Ardents and have had no problems).

  61. #61
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by kyttyra View Post
    I have been eyeing Vee Rubber Rail 29x1.75" tyres for my Soma Wolverine.

    Questions:
    -any idea if the sizing is true (I've heard that they run small, and if that's the case I might as well take a pair of Knards or maybe Panaracer Gravel Kings - or paerhaps even 1.95" rails if their true width is considerably less than 50 mm).
    -the tubeless question: yea or nay? The Wolverine will have Easton Arc 24 rims, that should be good for tubeless use (I have one 27 pair with Ardents and have had no problems).
    sizing is dead on.. but the "real" size is smaller than more people think so they look at them as small.. the do expand a bit over the first few weeks. I used to actually over pressure them when not riding when new to get the stretch out done faster.. like 40 lbs or so..

    I run them tubeless.. have the same tires now for 2 years and still sealed even without riding for almost 6 months (medical issues) they've lost a bit of air, but far from flat. i do use Caffe Latex over No Tubes as i find the minor skinning helps over time.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kyttyra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    188
    ^ok, thank you! I might as well try them, as they can be had at >14€/piece.

    Also if I may ask: any comments about rolling resistance, steering and puncture protection?

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kyttyra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    188
    Well then.

    Here is a Vee Rubber rail 1.75" on Easton Arc 24 rim, set up tubeless. The tire weighs in at ≈600 g, and the initial width was ≈46 mm.



    Setting up tubeless was surprisingly easy. I installed the tire with inner tube in order to seat one bead. Then I removed the tube and used a floor pump to seat the tyre. It sealed well with 0,4 dl of sealant and had not leaked air at all overnight.

    I had a suspicion that the tire would self-steer at low pressures (as I've heard that vee rubber fat tires self-steer horribly) and I was correct. I had to pump the front tire up to 33 psi - with lower pressures the bike would feel unstable when cornering on asphalt. On the other hand, the tires are quiet on asphalt (comparable to 41 mm knards) and seem to roll well.

Members who have read this thread: 9

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •