Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Vee Rubber ?

31K views 62 replies 25 participants last post by  kyttyra 
#1 ·
Does anyone know who the supplier for vee rubber tires is? Also where to purchase on line
I know Jenson has some in stock.
Thanks

#45 ·
OK, I've been running the Vee Rubber Mission on the rear and the Speed R front and got to say I'm really impressed... for the $$$$

• the are light, not the lightest but far from the heaviest and WAY lighter than most anything 2x the price.
  • Hook up.. well OK.. I did run this combo in the snow a few times this winter and got to say they did pretty well for such a low knob tire.. they both clear muck/slush really well also!
  • The last 1/2way decent, I wouldn't say I have a lot of miles on them as I've been old/injured/tired/working so,.. but pretty much used them in all conditions here and they aren't perfect, but man, better than I thought for the $$
  • Hook up tubeless rather easy and stay up without any bead issues (LOVED my Conti's but man were the bead's a pain in the butt regularly)
I will say the Mission (29er) I've spun out a few times on a hill when I really din't think I would or should have, but the surface was a loose, crush rock that the State put in the section to stop erosion and pretty much any low knob tire will spin.

Don't think I'll look for another tire.. probably will try a higher knob set from Vee Rubber this fall/winter just for giggles.

#50 ·
I bought the VEE Rubber Mission tires in 26x2.1 (more like 1.9) from Pricepoint for $12 for my everyday bike and i love them on the pavement and asphalt. Vey fast tire on hard surfaces but no good on loose rock or wet anything , I even slipped on hardpack. For the price they are a good tire. I just really would never use them on my trail bike.

#51 ·
I just finished a 25-mile ride at Big Bear in mostly dry gravel and and had no problems with the same tire on my back wheel. Niner RIP-9, tire setup tubeless on a Sun rim at 28psi; 2.35 RaRa up front. I'm really only running this tire coz someone on this thread dared me to, but it's actually working pretty well for a $10 tire :)

#52 ·
Their casing is sturdy and their rubber compound is pretty grippy. I'd say it feels like MaxxPro (Maxxis 62A?). It even wears down bald in a short manner like MaxxPro. So far, I've tried the Vee8 on my 29 HT and the Trax on my 26 FS, both on the rear since they're so narrow. After about 500 miles, they both start failing to maintain traction on 10+% grade climbs, as the center tread is worn down to about 2.5mm tall. It doesn't help that the tread was only about 5mm tall to begin with. :lol:

Overall, I think these are great value tires. They lasted longer than some of the Schwalbe and Contis I had, which died before wearing out the tread, and their performance on hard dry surfaces is similar to Maxxis tires. The performance is definitely there and the current prices make them bargains.

#56 ·
I have some Race-V 29ers, but I haven't mounted them up yet...I'm still using my Duro Switch tires that I got for <$25 for the pair at 29x2.35.
The Race-Vs look nice, remind me of SB8s a bit, but a little more aggressive with lower knobs. I'll recheck weight, but I think it was somewhere around 830gm? On the heavier side...I'll get them mounted up eventually and post up a real review.

#58 ·
I am looking to purchase either the Flow or Fluid for my Knolly. I ride mostly Norcal trails, AM riding. I want some good hook up in corners, I currently run Hans Dampf but I am not crazy about $70 plus a tire. Anyone have input on either of these Vee Tires and info on running them tubeless on Stans Flow EX wheels?

#59 ·
I've been running Fluid front Flow rear in 27.5 for a couple of months.
The Fluid I am really impressed with it hasn't let go yet.
The Flow not so much,I did try it on the front & it didn't have the same grip as the Fluid.
On the rear it was just so so , when it started to slide it wouldn't stop even more so with some wear & they do wear fairly fast.
They haven't lost or torn knobs like I remember the the Hans Dampfs tend to do.
As far as weight they are a little heavier than the stated weight on the package but acceptable.
I have them set up tubeless (with a bit of Co2 help) on hookless wide carbon rims, 20 front 25 rear this varies a little dependent on trail conditions.

I just picked up some new Fluids so will try one on the back & see how it holds up.

#60 ·
I have been eyeing Vee Rubber Rail 29x1.75" tyres for my Soma Wolverine.

Questions:
-any idea if the sizing is true (I've heard that they run small, and if that's the case I might as well take a pair of Knards or maybe Panaracer Gravel Kings - or paerhaps even 1.95" rails if their true width is considerably less than 50 mm).
-the tubeless question: yea or nay? The Wolverine will have Easton Arc 24 rims, that should be good for tubeless use (I have one 27 pair with Ardents and have had no problems).

#61 ·
I have been eyeing Vee Rubber Rail 29x1.75" tyres for my Soma Wolverine.

Questions:
-any idea if the sizing is true (I've heard that they run small, and if that's the case I might as well take a pair of Knards or maybe Panaracer Gravel Kings - or paerhaps even 1.95" rails if their true width is considerably less than 50 mm).
-the tubeless question: yea or nay? The Wolverine will have Easton Arc 24 rims, that should be good for tubeless use (I have one 27 pair with Ardents and have had no problems).
sizing is dead on.. but the "real" size is smaller than more people think so they look at them as small.. the do expand a bit over the first few weeks. I used to actually over pressure them when not riding when new to get the stretch out done faster.. like 40 lbs or so..

I run them tubeless.. have the same tires now for 2 years and still sealed even without riding for almost 6 months (medical issues) they've lost a bit of air, but far from flat. i do use Caffe Latex over No Tubes as i find the minor skinning helps over time.

#63 ·
Well then.

Here is a Vee Rubber rail 1.75" on Easton Arc 24 rim, set up tubeless. The tire weighs in at ≈600 g, and the initial width was ≈46 mm.

Setting up tubeless was surprisingly easy. I installed the tire with inner tube in order to seat one bead. Then I removed the tube and used a floor pump to seat the tyre. It sealed well with 0,4 dl of sealant and had not leaked air at all overnight.

I had a suspicion that the tire would self-steer at low pressures (as I've heard that vee rubber fat tires self-steer horribly) and I was correct. I had to pump the front tire up to 33 psi - with lower pressures the bike would feel unstable when cornering on asphalt. On the other hand, the tires are quiet on asphalt (comparable to 41 mm knards) and seem to roll well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.