mtbr member

UST wheel with non-UST tire

I posted this in another thread but without an answer, so I am trying it in its own thread.

I recently bought a set of easton xc 90 UST wheel set and a pair of maxxis ardent non-UST tires. I was looking for some advice as to making them tubeless. I have found some info through searching here and on the web, but would like at little be more.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar combination? Do I need sealant? About how much? Is a rim strip necessary?

Thanks in advance.
    "Those who wander are not always lost"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You will almost certainly need sealant to plug the pin hole sidewall leaks and help the bead to seal...

I run Mavic and shimano UST rims with Maxxis Ignitors (non UST).

mtbr member
    Watch the technique in this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyF2...e_gdata_player
    No guarantee it will work great once it's mounted though, running a non tubeless tire tubeless is a crap shoot.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by [wahoo] View Post
    I posted this in another thread but without an answer, so I am trying it in its own thread.

I recently bought a set of easton xc 90 UST wheel set and a pair of maxxis ardent non-UST tires. I was looking for some advice as to making them tubeless. I have found some info through searching here and on the web, but would like at little be more.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar combination? Do I need sealant? About how much? Is a rim strip necessary?

Thanks in advance.
    Buy tubeless tires. UST rims with UST compatible tires are the most consistently reliable combo.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    UST rims do not need a rim strip I am pretty sure The design of the rim eliminates the need for it. I have also read many UST wheel / tire users still use sealant anyway for extra protection. There is plenty to read out there, I am going the UST wheel / tubeless ready tire route, after a lot of research.

Blueliner

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Only Mavic's rims/their immediately licensed rims (Shimano) don't require a rim strip, though it is not a requirement for UST compatibility. Some manufacturers are only drilling the forwall of the rim, but it is by no means a requirement of UST; UST is a bead seat profile, it does not describe the rim bed.

A traditional rim with a turn of tubeless tape is still less time consuming to build.

more carbon=more awesome
    I just mounted some Maxxis tires on Eastern Haven UST rims. I fitted a brand new 2.25 Aspen front and took my 2.1 Crossmark off my existing Stan's Crest wheel. I had spoken to a local bike shop guy that I totally trust and he reckoned they should mount fine, but if I was worried I could always use a bit of tape to make the rim seat a bit bigger. I thought about this and decided to try something slightly different. So I bought some 20" BMX tubes and carefully cut out the shraeder valve with a pen knife and then cut around the outside circumference ghetto tubeless style. I stuck the UST valve through the tube where the valve used to be, and stretched the tube around the rim. The used Crossmark went on quite easily, and while I had to visit a gas station to use the compressor, it aired up flawlessly with good solid pops as the beads seated. It sealed immediately, and I trimmed off the excess liner with the pen knife. Afterer three days it hasn't appeared to lose any air at all. The front was a bit more trouble as I didn't get the valve to seal and while I could get it up to over 20psi with the gas station pump the beads of the new tire were too tight to seat. I gave up on the liner and just fitted the tire straight to the rim. This time the beads snapped into place and it aired up straight away and sealed immediately. Still no apparent air loss. I'm pretty optimistic that this will be a very reliable set-up. I had prevoiously run a 2.1 Aspen eXC on the front with no trouble, but had issues blowing them off the back rim. I reckon having the liner on the back wheel will be useful insurance against burps. For my weight I've found 30 psi to work well at both ends.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

more carbon=more awesome
    Just to clarify, I was using Stan's sealant. I didn't have to shake the front wheel around though and while I gave it the suds treatment, I didn't spot a single pin-hole leak..... Which was surprising to say the least.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Only Mavic's rims/their immediately licensed rims (Shimano) don't require a rim strip, though it is not a requirement for UST compatibility. Some manufacturers are only drilling the forwall of the rim, but it is by no means a requirement of UST; UST is a bead seat profile, it does not describe the rim bed.

A traditional rim with a turn of tubeless tape is still less time consuming to build.
    thanks! i was not aware of that, another piece of the puzzle for me.

Blueliner