mtbr member
    Dec 2012

UST Rims w/ LUST Tires Leaking Air by the Rim?..

I'm running a Mavic Crossmax ST's with Maxis Ignitors front and back without Stan's or similar sealant. I keep my tires between 28 and 35 PSI depending on conditions and ride primarily XC/All Mountain. I haven't had a problem with this setup in close to 12 months of regular riding until about 2 months ago my rear tire started losing air unusually fast (give or take 10 PSI over night). Even at that point it was still well ridable. As of a few days ago the tire deflates in about 5 minutes flat and you can hear the air escaping. Needless to say, it is no longer ridable - sadface.

The air escapes between the rim and the tire - you can hear the airflow restrict when you place your finger to cover the spot it comes out. If I had to guess I'd say the area is about a half inch to an inch long.

What gives? Any suggestions? I'd prefer to continue to run without sealant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The first thing I would do is to check the rim/tire for damage in that area. The second thing I would do is confirm that the bead is properly seated in that area (check the line on the tire right above the rim wall--make sure it is the same distance all the way around). Any of those things could cause the problem you are describing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Take it apart, clean and inspect it. Debris can lodge between the bead and the rim, causing leakiage.
    If you can't see the cause, rotate the tire on the rim and see if the leak moves with tire or stays at the same place on the rim (you'll need to mark both the tire and rim at the point of leakage).

mtbr member
    I would add sealant and ride on. My current favorite is slime pro-- much better than stans at sealing holes and also staying liquified longer inside the tire.

BTW I have the same wheels and have used LUST, 2Bliss, TL-R and TNT tires all perfectly fine with sealant.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Took it apart, no visible damage to tire or wheel.. swapped in a new tire and behold... it seems to hold air again now. Bikes are weird sometimes.