mtbr member

UST rims + Kenda SB8 = NO DICE for tubeless perfection!

I figured cutting a pound off of my bike would only benefit me. Its just I can't get the damn tire to seat correctly on the rim! I run an 819 UST rim, and before UST nevegals. Well I wanted a faster rolling rear tire, so I went with a 2.1 SB8 non UST.

Thing is, I can't get the damn thing to seat! I put 2 cup fulls of stans AND sprayed soapy water on the bead on the tire before inflating it. Yet it still leaks like all hell! It won't hold 40 psi past one minute. I tried filling it up, then riding on it to help it seat, but it still won't work! I also noticed that air is escaping through tiny holes on the sidewall...

Should I just give up and get the UST tire? I just put a non UST nevegal on the front, and it would lose air until I rode on it. Now it is seated properly and works. Damn, can't figure it out...

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    I figured cutting a pound off of my bike would only benefit me. Its just I can't get the damn tire to seat correctly on the rim! I run an 819 UST rim, and before UST nevegals. Well I wanted a faster rolling rear tire, so I went with a 2.1 SB8 non UST.

Thing is, I can't get the damn thing to seat! I put 2 cup fulls of stans AND sprayed soapy water on the bead on the tire before inflating it. Yet it still leaks like all hell! It won't hold 40 psi past one minute. I tried filling it up, then riding on it to help it seat, but it still won't work! I also noticed that air is escaping through tiny holes on the sidewall...

Should I just give up and get the UST tire? I just put a non UST nevegal on the front, and it would lose air until I rode on it. Now it is seated properly and works. Damn, can't figure it out...

Any ideas?
    some suggestions:
    Run a superlight tube instead of stans (2 cups of stans weight about the same as a light tube).
    OR if you want to run Stans for flat protection (instead of weight savings), try installing the SB8's by:
    Run them for a couple of days with tubes. Take out the tube, reinstall on the 819's and put 2 cups of Stans in, reinflate using a compressor. Do the whole shaking and spinning bit (per Stan's website). It will eventually mostly seal. Once it's holding air, ride it around the block for about 15-20 minutes... Check for pressure loss (you'll probably have some more pinholes turn up). Air up with a compressor again and do the whole shake and spin cycle again.
    Disclaimer: I've only converetd non-UST Kenda Nevs and BG's, not SB8's.

No, that's not phonetic
    Our non-UST Kendas wept for days and lost pressure too. You really REALLY have to shake the bottle of Stans well, keep it inverted, and squirt the goo into the measuring cup immediately to ensure that you get a full complement of Stans Flavor Krystals in the goo. It may take a few cycles of this to finally seal. Make sure you are using pretty fresh stans goo, too. Our Kenda sidewalls and bead areas were extremely porous and it took a lot of effort to get them plugged, but they did eventually seal. The liquid also seemed to evaporate out of the tires even when they didn't lose air anymore. No idea how that works, but after 2 weeks of riding in AZ, the amount of stans left was about half a scoop.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    UST (and Bonty Tubeless Ready) rims + SB8 Tubeless = tubeless (near*) perfection.

*I needed a compressor to seat the tires the first time.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Shiggy is right. If you plan to experiment with standard tires on UST, you must invest in an air compressor if you don't already have one. They are less than $100 for a good little shop model.

In my experience, any tire will eventually seat and seal. Some tires take several attempts and won't hold air at all for several days, some seal up instantly and hold air for weeks right off the bat! The high-end Kendas have always been among the easiest I have used... they don't put up much of a fight and they stop leaking after a few hours.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Shiggy is right. If you plan to experiment with standard tires on UST, you must invest in an air compressor if you don't already have one. They are less than $100 for a good little shop model.

In my experience, any tire will eventually seat and seal. Some tires take several attempts and won't hold air at all for several days, some seal up instantly and hold air for weeks right off the bat! The high-end Kendas have always been among the easiest I have used... they don't put up much of a fight and they stop leaking after a few hours.

JMH
    That is NOT what I said!

I used the UST Tubeless Small Block 8, not the standard version. No sealant needed either.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For me, if this doesn't work I move on to another option.

As you did soap and sealant.

Air comp set at Max inflation plus 10%.

Remove valve stem.

Hang wheel so you have one free hand.

Shoot it up with air and use your free hand to squeeze in leaky spots.

Oh make sure valve stem injects air between the bead, sometimes it kind of squirts out the side.

mtbr member

Any ideas?
    I haven't mounted the SB8s, but have friends who've mounted them (the non-USTs) to CrossMaxSLs. I've mounted Karmas to SLs, which work similarly from what I've heard.

For seating the bead, try inflating with a tube first to around 50psi. Unseat one bead, remove the tube, then pop the other bead on. You should be able to seat the second bead using only a hand pump.

Try pumping the tire up to around 70 psi (that should seat both beads) and pop all of the small bubbles on the sidewalls with your fingernail, then rotate the tire so your 2 scoops of Stans is sitting over the leak until you hear it seal.

As for sealing the bead, I know Stans recommends the soapy water, but I usually run a small brush of Stans between the rim bead hook and the rim before I pump up the tire. Similar to the soapy water, this will bubble to show you where the leaks are.

One last tip, I've found that dirt or even the Stans crystals get trapped between the bead of the tire and the bead hook on the rim and can keep the tire from sealing. If there is one location that's leaking like mad, try popping the bead there and wipe the shelf of the rim with a clean cloth.

It's a PITA, but it can be done.

-tim

mtbr member
    You know, with all the advice/suggestions, I really think I'm just gonna buy the UST tire. I mean, hell, the sb8s are known for a thin sidewall, so a UST would def. be thicker, which would take care of that problem. O well, I got the Nevegal to seat in the front...

Boyeeee
    I'm running the 2.35 DTC SB8s on Stan's ZTR 355 rims tubeless with no rimstrip (yellow tape only) on my SS with no problems.

I did use some Tioga Bed Wax and a compressor to get them to seat. I also did the bucket trick to get them to seal up. Other than that, I didn't do anything special.

I'm also running a Nev DTC 2.35 tubeless on an 819 with no rimstrip on another bike. Mounted and sealed using the same process as the SB8s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You know, with all the advice/suggestions, I really think I'm just gonna buy the UST tire. I mean, hell, the sb8s are known for a thin sidewall, so a UST would def. be thicker, which would take care of that problem. O well, I got the Nevegal to seat in the front...

Good call.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    My APOLOGIES for not clarifying.

I of course was referring to your use of an air compressor, which can greatly ease the installation of tubeless tires, whether UST or not. I did not mean to imply that you might at some point venture away from the time-honored use of innertubes and manufacturer's recommendations.

And skipping the sealant might be fine in some areas, but it's not so clever if you ride in areas where thorns are a problem. But you knew that already.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    That is NOT what I said!

I used the UST Tubeless Small Block 8, not the standard version. No sealant needed either.

mtbr member

Intense tyre on a bonty UST rim

Hi there,

some great suggestions in this thread but I'm still having trouble mounting up an Intense 2.25 standard tire on a Bonty UST race lite rim

I was told specifically not to use stans as it is not compatible with this rubber (eats it)

I tried the inner tube mount / unseat one bead / and re-inflate trick but did not work

using soapy water doesn't seem to help, I am using an air compressor set at 40lbs. Tire just won't inflate at all, fits tightly in the track, I am keeping the beads straddled around the stem, but no luck

was told slime would not eat tire, but I can't find any at LBS and not sure if it will help

someone mentioned a "bucket trick"? could anyone explain that?

this tire rides great but is a little heavy for a standard tire. It has a thick sidewall, so I think it's a good candidate for a tubeless

I am running it with a tube right now, but would like to shave some weight

any advice apprecited, thanks in advance

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by disco
    Hi there,

some great suggestions in this thread but I'm still having trouble mounting up an Intense 2.25 standard tire on a Bonty UST race lite rim

I was told specifically not to use stans as it is not compatible with this rubber (eats it)

I tried the inner tube mount / unseat one bead / and re-inflate trick but did not work

using soapy water doesn't seem to help, I am using an air compressor set at 40lbs. Tire just won't inflate at all, fits tightly in the track, I am keeping the beads straddled around the stem, but no luck

was told slime would not eat tire, but I can't find any at LBS and not sure if it will help

someone mentioned a "bucket trick"? could anyone explain that?

this tire rides great but is a little heavy for a standard tire. It has a thick sidewall, so I think it's a good candidate for a tubeless

I am running it with a tube right now, but would like to shave some weight

any advice apprecited, thanks in advance

Joe
    Intense tires are intended to be used only with inner tubes. Their (one) UST model uses a different construction. More to it than just a "thick" sidewall.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2004

Any ideas?
    Have you watched the video at Stan's web site...? There are all sorts of details that you are supposed to follow. For example, use a soft brush to apply soap SUDS (i.e. the bubbles NOT soapy water as you said above), and more...

Another specific point that contradicts some of the advice given to you above - Stan does not recommend riding the wheel to help seal the tire [sorry, this was recommended on another thread, not above]; he says the tire should be properly sealed before using the wheel.
    Last edited by JungleBiker; 04-27-2007 at 05:39 AM.