Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

UST rear tire for loose, dusty conditions? Scorpion is going bald....

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  windidiot 
#1 ·
Hi. I am looking for a solid rear UST tire for some fairly loose, dusty summertime conditions. The trails here in Oregon are already drying out quick, probably a product of the extremely dry spring we have had. Normally, we get this really thick layer of dust (pulverized pumice) all over the trails. I am currently using 2003 Scorpion UST's (2.0) in the rear, and have been pretty happy-unfortunately, they are already getting pretty worn after about only 10 rides. They came with my bike, otherwise I won't be spending that kind of cash on a tire that lasts that short of a time span. The bike is a Ventana El Salt, and the tire should probably be between 2.0 and 2.3ish-nothing really freeride, but some aggressive tread would be nice (this is my several-hour ride trailbike). I am running the WTB Weirwolf UST 2.1 in front-so far, I am pleased (except that it is narrow for a 2.1). What do you think of the Kenda Kharisma? I can get a tire for $18. Other than that, what are some good choices?

#2 ·
dawgcatching said:
Hi. I am looking for a solid rear UST tire for some fairly loose, dusty summertime conditions. The trails here in Oregon are already drying out quick, probably a product of the extremely dry spring we have had. Normally, we get this really thick layer of dust (pulverized pumice) all over the trails. I am currently using 2003 Scorpion UST's (2.0) in the rear, and have been pretty happy-unfortunately, they are already getting pretty worn after about only 10 rides. They came with my bike, otherwise I won't be spending that kind of cash on a tire that lasts that short of a time span. The bike is a Ventana El Salt, and the tire should probably be between 2.0 and 2.3ish-nothing really freeride, but some aggressive tread would be nice (this is my several-hour ride trailbike). I am running the WTB Weirwolf UST 2.1 in front-so far, I am pleased (except that it is narrow for a 2.1). What do you think of the Kenda Kharisma? I can get a tire for $18. Other than that, what are some good choices?
The Ken da could do well. Worth trying at that price.
Others to consider:
  • Mich elin XL S 2.1
  • Schwalbe Little Albert 2.10
  • Nokian NBX 2.1
  • Hutchin son Spider 2.1 or 2.3
  • Conti Vertical Pro 2.3
  • Ge@x Arrojo or Sedona 2.0

#3 ·
FWIW I absolutely hated the Kharismas. Mainly because they are an absolute ^#$!!%%&^ to mount and remove; I've broken tire levers getting them off. They're the total opposite of Hutchisons in terms of user friendliness. I'm glad I never had a trail side flat with them...I'd still be in the woods...

Performance wise, they are relatively low volume, hard rubber, traditional tread pattern. I liked the straight line traction and low rolling resistance, but I didn't feel like they were a really good technical tire because of the hard rubber compound. I prefer the cushier feel of Hutchisons. They seem like they could be very durable in your conditions, but I didn't keep them long enough to comment.

I just got some Contis, Vert 2.3 front & Explorer 2.1 rear. Ridden only very briefly so far; good first impression & easy to install. They seem narrow for their size, the Vert 2.3 doesn't look much wider then Python 2.0s. No idea how durable they are. The Vert seems to be pretty popular.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.