bicycle rider

UST + latex aura of invincibility punctured...

This is a repost from the NorCal board.

I just switched to Nobby Nic 2.3" UST tires with Stan's sealant on 819 UST rims. Have about five rides on them. I thought they were pretty good - large volume, nice grip, light weight. But the aura of invincibility of UST + Stan's was punctured yesterday on the Pine Mountain loop. I flatted the rear on a rocky descent. It was a pinch flat - a puncture on casing between some knobs and another corresponding puncture at the bead. I was running about 32psi, maybe a little less. Even with a scoop of Stan's the 1/4" tear at the bead wouldn't seal, so I had to put a tube in. By the time the ride was over the casing had started to really let go; my tire looked like a snake that ate a rabbit.

So now I need to find a good "fun" UST tire, something good for rock, decomposed granite but also dirt singletrack and roots. Are there Schwalbe UST tires with more durable casings than the Nobby Nic UST? I like casings with better than 2.1" volume. I weigh 203lbs, like to run the UST tires around 28-35psi. I used to run the Maxxis Highroller 2.3 UST front and Weirwolf 2.1 UST rear. Might go back to that. Any other durable, fun UST suggestions? I won't run them for regular (not Downieville) races.

Morgan

LA CHÈVRE
    Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 UST MRC Medium... Much grippier than a High Roller yet it rolls easier too. The casing is very tough although a bit on the stiff side so you can drop pressure by a few PSI compared with many other tires of that size. The thread pattern is very good in rocks and roots and the MRC Medium rubber is a good compromise of stickiness and durability. Corners well, tracks well, brakes well... in fact, I haven't found a fault with them yet. They are on the heavy side at around 900-950 grams each but it's to be expected with such a big knobby durable tire. I didn't even bother putting Stan's latex in them since they seemed bomb-proof to me compared with my other tires (various Hutchinson Tubeless Light tires) and never had a flat (half a season with a front one, 2 really rocky rides with front and rear).

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Maybe Schwalbe Albert USTs

I used Schwalbe Albert UST tires (2.25") off and on for a year. I thought that the tire performed well (relatively low rolling resistance and high volume), but the durability was pretty close to terrible for me. In one instance I had a 1"-2" gash in the sidewall that was not repairable. For our trails, that is fairly understandable - high speed downhills with lots of small embedded rocks = sidewall tears - I get it.... However, on four other tires, I had knobs actually tearing off to expose the casing within 2 months. If the tires were either half their price or much more durable, I would probably keep using them - I liked them that much. But Schwalbe tires are just too expensive to be replaced every couple of months.

Just to represent the other side of the story, there are several reviewers that have had excellent experiences with the Albert USTs. Maybe you will to. And I think you will really like them while you find out whether they will be durable enought for you...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wore out 3 rears of Kenda Nevagal UST (with Stans in them).

Blew the knobs of 2 rear Panaracer Fire XC's UST

Had a Conti Explorer UST with some sort of bead failure just this weekend.

All had Stans, must be me sitting down too much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I weight 200lbs and use IRC Serac UST 2.1's. Love the tires. They perform geat even on loose rocky climbs, roots, wet conditions etc. The tire looks very well built with strong sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Try the Specialized UST Resolutions. Awesome tire.

mtbr member
    Try the Specialized UST Resolutions. Awesome tire
    I like the grip and durability of these tires, but if you hit jumps or drops, I've found they burp really easily. I'm a bit heavier than you @ around 230 - 240lbs with gear, but they'd pop a bead so easily that I think your 203lbs would put you in the danger zone, especially with gear and water added.