View Poll Results: King wheelset or Hopes?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Used King Wheelset

13 59.09%
  • New Hope Wheelset

9 40.91%
    So Cal Slayin'

Used King wheelset vs New Hope wheelset

What would you go with?

Used Wheelset:
    Chris King Rear Hub
    Hope pro 2 front hub
    Stan's Flow F/R

I will be unable to see the wheelset, just pictures that the seller has sent me. The wheels look good, but I am trusting his builder and his word on the quality of the wheels.

New Wheelset:
    Hope Pro 2 Front and Rear
    Stan's Flow F/R

I can purchase this wheelset from a trusted builder for a killer deal right now.

The used wheelset would be $50 more than the brand new set. So what would you do? Would you rather have the peace of mind of having a brand new wheelset sent to you? Or is the rear King hub worth the chance of an issue and a little extra money to buy used?

mtbr member
    How important is engagement to you...because that is going to be the biggest difference. The Hope is a quality hub but is 24 poe vs the King's 72 poe.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Wanderer
    The King hub will be fine. The rim will fail before it. Tough call tho, I guess it depends on the final price. I have 2 sets of Kings and they are worth every cent IMO. I bought both sets brand new tho.

MTBR Member
    How cheap is the new set? Seems like the used set should be a little less considering the same rims and front hub were used.

I'd prefer a King rear, but that set shouldn't be as much as the new set...even on mega-sale.

So Cal Slayin'
    The price would be $450 for the hope wheelset and $500 for the king. And as far as POE, I am used to 36POE with dt240s, so I'm not sure I would really know what I'm leaving on the table by going with a lower POE hub.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Personally, I wont shell out $500 for any used bike part I can't get my hands on and check out... or at least know the person I'm getting them from.. just too much green for something you're rolling the dice on to me...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I have kings and hopes and for the money mention above I get Kings. U won't be wishing for more poe or anything and at the end of the day you can sale it for the amount you paid.

MTBR Member
    $500 for a half king wheelset on Flows? Overpriced.

Love all my King hubsets, but that's a bad deal.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post

^^^This
    $500 for a used King ISO 20mm option, would be a good deal-ish. Half King, is not even worth talking about it.

If you want versatility Hope would be able to adapt to just about any set up, that I can think off. I have both Hopes and Kings, like them both.

So Cal Slayin'
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still having trouble deciding either way. Guess ill have to sit and think about what I really want in a hub.

Mimi- Since you own a set of both, how much of a difference is there between the points of engagement between the hubs? Is it night and day? Would the 24 poe in the hopes keep you from purchasing them again after using the Kings??

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickSilverZ View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still having trouble deciding either way. Guess ill have to sit and think about what I really want in a hub.

Mimi- Since you own a set of both, how much of a difference is there between the points of engagement between the hubs? Is it night and day? Would the 24 poe in the hopes keep you from purchasing them again after using the Kings??
    I like Hope but if I'd buy another rear hub it would be the ss hub twice the engagement. See if you've never ridden high Poe hub then it's ok but once you do it's nice to have one.

I have i9 3*, king 5*, cb 10*, hope 15* I think, Mavic too high to bother. I just converted my classic king to ISO, pick the colors and sent it in to astro, now it's like new.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post

yup.. exactly.. specially since you can't actually touch them!!! there's a reason someone is selling them...

for the 5 bills,.... just get a brandie new rear wheel with a King and keep the front you have for now...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quicksilver,

Do u mind mentioning where you are getting the deal on the hopes/flows. I am looking for a similar build?

Good luck. I think i would go with the new set vs the older wheeled kings. Imo

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    my local craigslist has two full king wheelsets for 500/580

Chris King/Stan's Arch 29er wheelset
    Chris King 29er wheelset

my experience is on craigslist you can usually negotiate so maybe 400-450

So Cal Slayin'
    Thanks for all the input guys. I think that I will be going with a new wheelset instead of buying used . Although I think the wheelset that I will be buying will be arch ex's with white industries MI6 hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by EZuphill View Post
    Quicksilver,

Do u mind mentioning where you are getting the deal on the hopes/flows. I am looking for a similar build?

Good luck. I think i would go with the new set vs the older wheeled kings. Imo

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    The wheelset would be through a local wheel builder. However, I think universal cycles has the same wheelset (hope/flows) for just a little bit more. Around $475 if I remember correctly. You just need to use the coupon code vip15 to get 15% off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I can't comment on price and new versus used, but I have wheelsets with King and Hope rear hubs. Engagement is incredible on the King and quieter than the Hope (which I prefer).