mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Used I9 Enduro or new Fulcrum Red Zone ?

Its time for wheels for my new AM build.
    Have an option to pick a used I9 Enduro laced to Mavic 827 or just order a brand new Fulcrum Red Zone set for about the same money.
    So far I'm very satisfied Fulcrum user, have on my Titus FTM Red Metal 3 front and Red Zone XLR rear wheels riding something in-between agressive XC to AM on rocky terrain.

Regarding I9, according to the seller - used for about half year for XC, no jumps or serious drops. He is actually local distributor for I9.
    For my build I having 150mm 32 fork available, consider to start with that, however chances with be switching to TALAS 160mm 36 when opportunity will come.
    The I9 advantage over Fulcrum in my eyes is that he front hub is easily converted between 15mm and 20mm (just caps) so that having this wheelset I will have no worries swicthing between 32 and 36 forks.
    However, one is used, the other one is brand new.

Red Zone have straight steel spokes (24) I9 come with straight thick aluminium spokes (like Red Zone XLR which are more expensive). Both wheels are UST of course.
    Spokes of I9 are of course much more expensive then steel ones (something about 7-8 USD per spoke), however I do not expect cracking them. (I'm 150 lb, so far my Fulcrum hold exceptionally well, straight, nothing to complain about).

Given I9 are in well condition (perhaps scratches or rubbing here are there on the rims from regular use), what would you choose ?

transmitter~receiver
    I9 without question.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'd stay away from more fulcrum wheels, I've only known people with problems with them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This is interesting....I ride Fulcrum (red Metal 3 15mm front, Red Zone XLR rear), no jumping but quite bit of rocky gardens, hard terrain and fast trails. No problems caused whatsoever, stay true after year of regular riding, no any obvious problems with hubs either...
    I wonder what problems people experienced with them....

But anyway, decided to pick those used I9 today. Hubs look OK, scratches on the rims here and there (perhaps a bit more then I tend usually tolerate for buying used) but still look strong and no apparent meaningful issues with rims. Besides, being Mavic 827 feels reassuring. Albeit being little used, hubs were treated anyway, bearings replaced (while the old ones look perfectly good), fresh grease, etc.., wheels look true and strong.

I hope they will still have lots of hours to run....