29er
    Apr 2010

used 2011 crossmax vs new 2013 crossride ?

found a set of used 2011 crossmax 29ers for $350
    but you can also buy a brand new set of 2013 crossride 29ers for only $300

what do you guys think? which should i go with?
    the only advantage i see with the used crossmax is no need to run tape to go tubleless and a little lighter

the advantage of the new crossride, is they are new, and have full warranty.

no trees are safe
    I'd go with warranty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How used is used? Do they have axle or freehub play? Have they ever been serviced?

Lots of questions to ask. I wouldn't immediately discount getting a UST spec wheelset for $350 if they are in good shape.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Crossmax or Crossride

Go with the Crossmax, brand new with warranty. The Crossmax is a great wheelset, just got my Crossmax ST and I love them. Very stiff, compared to the stock Roval Traverse that came with the Stumpy. For $50 more go brand new. Thru-axle adapters usually come for the rear, but for the 20 x 110 mm TA front, you'll have to purchase a $12 set of adapters. Once you get them, just ride them. Going tubeless I assume?

Sorry, I just realized the used one is the Crossmax, I'd hold off and get a new set of Crossmax, slightly lighter than the Crossrides, too. I guess if you're doing XC, the Crossmax will do you just fine.