mtbr member
    Apr 2012

upgrading wheels 2008 rockhopper

So I have a 2008 rockhopper with Alex rims. The rims are not Disc compatible so I'm having trouble picking out new forks (V-brake mounts are slowly being phased out).

Is there a decently stiff, middle weight rim/hub combination that would be disc compatible that you guys can recommend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hard to imagine that you can spend much money at all upgrading a 5 year old hopper before you're spending more than its worth. Might be time for a whole new bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've got a 07 and I'm running Deore xt hubs and wtb rims. I think they came as a combo from Jensons. I'd also try Craigslist people are always upgrading and selling decent sets on CL. A 08 is still just as nice as the ones they sell now in my opinion.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nothing important has changed in alloy hardtails in the last six years. (I have an '07. But it shipped with disc brakes. )

OP, this is a good time to stop and think about what you're doing, price everything, and price also a new bike that ships with worthwhile disc brakes, and a fork you actually want.

I got some wheels at bicyclewheelwarehouse.com about a year and a half ago. Good prices, lots of selection, and they've been very reliable. You don't necessarily have to spend a lot. Sets only, so if you're going to be doing a mullet setup, they're not going to be price-competitive with a site like Jenson.

For brakes - for mechanical, do BB7. For hydraulic, that's a can of worms I don't want to open. Do your due diligence and get name brand brakes. If Tektro has nailed them, they're releasing them through TRP.

Hope that makes it easier for you to either pick a fork or bag the whole project.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Attachment 751730
    Here's my 07 during my disc swap. 26x2.4 Kevlar moto raptors, magura hydro disc, and some Alivio rapid fire shifters (my LBS doesn't stock anything nicer for 8 speed cassettes) I say do it man. I'm waiting on my Rockshox revelation u-turn to come in the next couple days. Saying the bike is too old is just dumb. If you had a 95 hopper then maybe lol. I still ride my 03 giant Ds3 from time to time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    upgrading wheels 2008 rockhopper-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357691784.740626.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    http://www.jensonusa.com/!A-ng122rLt...FQ0GnQodZyIAwQ

Have these on my gf's myka they're pretty strong IMO